Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Noise margin decreasing

This is a discussion on Noise margin decreasing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think it might have put me onto G.DMT again? The maximum G.DMT can deliver is 12Mbs, although Sky cap ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise margin decreasing

I think it might have put me onto G.DMT again?
      The maximum G.DMT can deliver is 12Mbs, although Sky cap it to 8, so you are not on that. Are they sending you another router? That would seem to be the next step, if the BT fix has stabilised your attenuation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The maximum G.DMT can deliver is 12Mbs, although Sky cap it to 8, so you are not on that. Are they sending you another router? That would seem to be the next step, if the BT fix has stabilised your attenuation.
      Ahh right. Nope, hasn't fixed the attenuation, it's 46 now! Is it still worth them sending a new router? Can't remember if I said, but a few days ago, during this incident where I just left it on to mind it's own business (connect/disconnect whenever) it did sort of disable itself - wireless & cabled LAN stopped working altogether, router lights were still on though.

This is so annoying lol.
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:44 AM.
      Gareth

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

What will happen now is that Openreach will get back to Sky and tell them what they have done (to be honest it looks like a stab in the dark,Do you have an overhead line? if so, did the openreach gut have a look at the connections?)
      You need to get back on to Sky for a new router, this may or not be the problem, but Sky will go no further untill this is ruled out (I'm not having a go at Sky, all ISPs are the same in this respect)

Thanks

(I'm not having a go at Sky, all ISPs are the same in this respect)
      Unless it is obviously a line problem, you can't blame them really. It probably costs Sky more to call our BTO once, than you pay them in a year.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      What will happen now is that Openreach will get back to Sky and tell them what they have done (to be honest it looks like a stab in the dark,Do you have an overhead line? if so, did the openreach gut have a look at the connections?)
      You need to get back on to Sky for a new router, this may or not be the problem, but Sky will go no further untill this is ruled out (I'm not having a go at Sky, all ISPs are the same in this respect)
      Nope, no overhead line. He wired up some gadgets to the phone line to test it and then he went off for an hour+, I only realised within the last half hour but there were 2 openreach vans at the cabinet, whereas before there was only 1, so they obviously found something that needed maintenance - shame it didn't fix this.

The noise on my line is really intermittent so i'm guessing he caught it at a good time on the way out. Earlier on I picked the phone up and there was so much crackling that the dial tone disappeared - had to put the phone down to get it back. This is what knocks off the internet. Also, is there any technical reason why I don't hear any crackling when I have just the phone plugged in without anything else, no filter or router etc? Cable damaged so it can't carry both adsl & phone?

You can probably tell I don't know too much about lines, but i'm 100% sure it's not internal (assuming 4 filters & bt master faceplate, or the adslnation adsl master faceplate, are all working). Not forgetting there's no reason why it stopped working by itself in the first place.

I'll wait and see if Sky phone back first, cba to go through all the basic checks again & having to wait. Unless, will they put me through if I ask for higher support & that they had requested openreach to come and check the line?

Thanks
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:44 AM.
      Gareth

Exchange:
      Thanks

How on earth do they manage to keep us waiting for over an hour?? At whatever time of the day, that's not good enough. Feels hopeless. Phoning BT directly is also useless. This is ridiculous!!

Also my internet has stayed up all the time we've been waiting, doesn't make sense - tried BT faceplate with 4 filters, adsl faceplate, different cables, different router... i'm just lost.

Thanks for your help though guys, I really appreciate it. it's just frustrating when nobody seems to able to do anything about it, know what's wrong, or even be able to get in contact with.

I've just got to hope Sky do phone me back.
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:45 AM.
      Gareth

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

To recap,

(1) If you now have noise on the line when the router is connected, but the line is clear if you plug the phone in the test socket, and you have tried differant filters, then this could be a router problem, and in any case you need to get Sky to send you a replacement to rule it out.

(2) To get a replacement router, unplug yours, phone Sky and tell them it is dead, no lights or anything, then they will send you a replacement.

rhforrester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I had this problem four years ago with BT.... If Sky says your line is not capped. try removing the master socket and switching round the A, B wires behind the master socket....... It worth a try. when you have done this post the results to see if it make a difference. Another tool is to download the software programe that monitors your noise margin 24/7

Internet Software

It look likes you have tried everything else and it is worth a try swapping the connection around

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you've already been told that's irrelevent by an ex-BT engineer so why tell people to break the BT T&C's by playing with their phone sockets??

Chances are the wiring was loose when you did it and once tightened you got a better sync, leading you to believe the wires were the wrong way round...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

As Brian says, if you are only getting noise when the router is connected, it looks like it may be a faulty router. It is very unlikely all of your filters are faulty. If you have an ADSL filtered faceplate, you don't need loose filters, provided you are plugging into the faceplate and it is wired properly. Follow Brian's advice at (2) above and see if your problem goes.

Don't phone BT if you are only getting noise with the router connected, they will charge you as the fault appears to be in your equipment.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast