Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Noise margin decreasing

This is a discussion on Noise margin decreasing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks guys, going to phone Sky and see what they think later, then it looks like i'll be onto BT ...

gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Noise margin decreasing

Thanks guys, going to phone Sky and see what they think later, then it looks like i'll be onto BT.

My router just reconnected with these stats: (attenuation up loads!)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4502 kbps 457 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43 db 32 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 7 db

Noise margins get lower and I have about 5 minutes online, the next 55+ offline. It's only been working twice this morning so I don't have long to write this!!

Cheers guys.
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:43 AM.
      Gareth

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Next time it drops, check the phone still works, and if it does, give your self a ring, I bet the BB will come back up when the phone rings.
      It didn't come back. The phone is working fine, i'm so confused. Could it still be the router?
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:43 AM.
      Gareth

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

By all means try a differant router if you have one, dont worry about password or user name if you do not have it, it will sync with the exchange anyway, but you will not have Internet connection. If it remains solid its your router

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is something seriously wrong, your attenuation has suddenly increased from 28 to 43. This is a very large rise, 1 or 2 dbs is normal but not this much. It looks like your line, or exchange connection, has developed a catastrophic fault. Comment Brian?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is something seriously wrong, your attenuation has suddenly increased from 28 to 43. This is a very large rise, 1 or 2 dbs is normal but not this much. It looks like your line, or exchange connection, has developed a catastrophic fault. Comment Brian?
      I agree, I was just seeing if Gareth had a spair router, he could try it to rule it out of the equation. Now the problem as we are all aware, will be trying to get Sky to get BT/Openreach involved, without going all through the speed capp/ sending new router, performance. I have noted that he only has one telephone socket and has tried differant filters. Its a pity the phone is ok

Exchange:
      Thanks

Phoned Sky and he changed some things (not sure what, he didn't say) leaving me with these stats:

Connection Speed 15997 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 13 db

The attenuation is still up by 1, and since then the noise margin has creeped down all the way to 0 (and negative), yet it was still working fine, and did for 5+ minutes like this. That's not meant to happen? Anyway, now it's disconnected again I'm writing this post offline, but as you say it seems something has happened to my line or imo, looks more likely the exchange is the problem as my phone is fine? Could it be the sky/easynet equipment?

Also, forgot to say, last night the router completely shut down by itself (well, the lights well still on). Couldn't access the router page or anything else, via ethernet, or wireless. How hard is it to get Sky to send me a new router? Something has to be wrong with it if it does that?

Stats now i'm posting this:
      Connection Speed 4022 kbps 474 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45 db 33 db
      Noise Margin 4 db 5 db

Thanks for your help, really do appreciate it.
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:44 AM.
      Gareth

Thanks

Now you have contacted Sky, get back on to them and say the router is compleatly dead, no lights or anything (unplug it from the phone line so it cannot sync) they will send you a replacement. I'm not at all convinced it is the router that is the problem, and you are going to have to persue this through Sky to get the problem fixed, but at least a replament router will rule it out

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it is the router it is hard to see how they could up the speed from their end. The attenuation has jumped back up again. As Brian says, get them to send another router. If that does not fix it, they will be more inclined to get BT on the job.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Have spoken to Sky and BT are coming round tomorrow evening.

Connection has been up now for 35 minutes, which is strange:

Connection Speed 13530 kbps 477 kbps
      Noise Margin 7 db 23 db

Noise Margin started at 10 and is now fluctuating between 5-7 so i'm glad I didn't get my hopes up too soon. He also set the upstream to 765 again but strangely 5 minutes in, it synced back down to 477.

I guess i'll see what comes up tomorrow. I'm still confident that something is still not right here & that roadworks have knocked something out of place or water is on the line. It is suspicious that since there's been work around there, the noise margin has slowly decreased over the last month or two (12=>10, 10=>7, and now this)

Hmm grr, noise margin has now dropped a lot ( If I remember correctly, a NM of 2147483647 db is negative? - Pages weren't loading 1 minute ago, now the NM is still the same (negative) and pages are now loading. - as i'm typing it's gone to 2. Edit: Just noticed, the upstream noise margin was lowering all the time, down to 15 ----- have just disconnected. Now getting original problems.

Anyway instead of writing down everything that is happening i'll wait and see what happens tomorrow. I hope they can find something.

Thanks
      Gareth

Exchange:
      Thanks

Openreach replaced something in the cabinet because it was old & knackered, with new ones. (not sure what) They were here for roughly 1 hour and a half.

I'm still getting disconnected after about 10/15 mins though, the noise margin drops slowly then poof. I think it might have put me onto G.DMT again? Would that affect it or is there more to this than it looks? Openreach again? Sky/Easynet hardware? BTW the router doesn't seem to reconnect by itself once it disconnects, just says "Initialize LCP" and "LCP is allowed to come up." over and over again. - Restarting it makes it reconnect.

Connection Speed 13530 kbps 474 kbps
      Noise Margin 9 db 23 db

The light on the router showed it had connected when he plugged everything back in so all looked okay, he had rushed off before I could know it was going to disconnect. Before he went he phoned the Quiet Line Test and that seemed fine.

Any ideas? Sky are meant to phone back sometime so I guess i'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks

Edit 1: This is what happened after the disconnect / 0 NM.

Fri, 2009-06-26 14:27:02 - LCP down.
      Fri, 2009-06-26 14:27:03 - Initialize LCP.
      Fri, 2009-06-26 14:27:04 - LCP is allowed to come up.

Then just keeps going without the "LCP down" like 30+ times.

Edit 2: Line Attn Up again.

Connection Speed 9132 kbps 477 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 19 db
      Gareth

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast