Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Noise margin decreasing

This is a discussion on Noise margin decreasing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Weird because it says connected, but with a sync of 0. Anyone know what's going on? Not really, that just ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise margin decreasing

Weird because it says connected, but with a sync of 0. Anyone know what's going on?
      Not really, that just means that it is not connected.

It is strange because if it were noise alone that was causing the problem it should sync at a lower speed with about 7dbs noise margin. It should then hold that until the noise gets bad again, when it will do the same. When it reconnects, what speed does it connect at?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A few years ago I had the same problem with my own line, and after much messing about the fault turned out to be a poorly made crimp in a cab next to a cattle grid, evertime traffic went over the grid, it caused the crimp to part company for a split second. If this problem gets worse, or with a bit of luck fail completly, you need to get on to Sky, or if you pay your line rental to BT and it effects the phone, to BT

gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Not really, that just means that it is not connected.

It is strange because if it were noise alone that was causing the problem it should sync at a lower speed with about 7dbs noise margin. It should then hold that until the noise gets bad again, when it will do the same. When it reconnects, what speed does it connect at?
      Ah okay. Connects at the normal sync set on my line:
      Connection Speed 14330 kbps 766 kbps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      A few years ago I had the same problem with my own line, and after much messing about the fault turned out to be a poorly made crimp in a cab next to a cattle grid, evertime traffic went over the grid, it caused the crimp to part company for a split second. If this problem gets worse, or with a bit of luck fail completly, you need to get on to Sky, or if you pay your line rental to BT and it effects the phone, to BT
      Hmm interesting, thanks. Should I still ask Sky for their opinion first or just get onto BT? If it persists, of course.

DC/d 3 times now, seems to be every half hour, that would be in 2 mins so i'll see if it disconnects.

Thanks both for your help.
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:42 AM.
      Gareth

Thanks

If it effects the phone, crackle or lots of noise then phone BT. If its just BB then you will have to phone Sky, but be warned, they are very likely to see this as an instablity problem and capp your speed down in an attempt to cure it. You could try BT and say you have an intermittant noise problem with the phone. With any luck if it is a poor joint somewhere it will fail and you will loose your phone service so BT will fix it, and not involve Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      If it effects the phone, crackle or lots of noise then phone BT. If its just BB then you will have to phone Sky, but be warned, they are very likely to see this as an instablity problem and capp your speed down in an attempt to cure it. You could try BT and say you have an intermittant noise problem with the phone. With any luck if it is a poor joint somewhere it will fail and you will loose your phone service so BT will fix it, and not involve Sky.
      I see, thanks. I'll keep an eye on the phone & contact BT if it doesn't improve. Many thanks.

And ouch,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Line Attenuation 28 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 1 db 16 db
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:43 AM.
      Gareth

Thanks

Ah okay. Connects at the normal sync set on my line:
      That explains the problems you are having. By the time it reconnects the noise has gone so it connects at a high speed until the next time. I think this points to a line fault just as Brian suggested. What do think Brian?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just noticed your NM is 1, that is not correct unless there is a crow outside pecking at your line. I have not looked back over your previous posts, but have you tried another router?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

This time it was down for half an hour, just reconnected with these stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12472 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 16 db

Attenuation up one. Nope, not tried about router yet. I'll try later or tomorrow.
      Last edited by gareth86; 07-05-10 at 11:43 AM.
      Gareth

Thanks

Next time it drops, check the phone still works, and if it does, give your self a ring, I bet the BB will come back up when the phone rings.

Thanks

Chances are Brian is correct and there is a 'dry' joint somewhere, but it should not be resyncing with such a low margin. It could be a combination of bad joint and faulty router.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast