Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Urgent help required...pls...

This is a discussion on Urgent help required...pls... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am not sure why you are connecting the SB to your PC, it should be connected to your router ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Urgent help required...pls...

I am not sure why you are connecting the SB to your PC, it should be connected to your router and device you want to control. This has a simple Video instruction on how to connect it.
      Sling Media Support - Slingbox Setup 1-2-3

There is no need to open any ports unless you want to access it from outside your network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      kdowner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Treid it for my S@gem 2504, but still thinking I done something wrong...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am not sure why you are connecting the SB to your PC, it should be connected to your router and device you want to control. This has a simple Video instruction on how to connect it.
      Sling Media Support - Slingbox Setup 1-2-3

There is no need to open any ports unless you want to access it from outside your network.
      I am indeed looking o tuse it on other networks when I go abroad...

Thanks

Can you just say exactly what you want to do? There are several Slingbox users on the forum who can no doubt tell you what you can and cant do. It could be you are attempting the impossible.

For instance if you want to access it from outside your LAN, I think you will need a Dynamic IP.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I am trying to view my Slingbox from my dads house which is in Belgium. And my Slingbox is in the UK.

Cheers..

Thanks

Just a couple of things for you to think about -
      You will really need to set up a Dynamic IP address - see DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting - the Sky routers support this so it is simpler than using some others. Without this you will not be able to get a consistent connection as when the router reboots you often get a different IP address.

The slingbox should be set up with a fixed IP, so you can forward the ports to it. If you use DHCP its address is likely to change so you will not be able to connect. Using UPnP port forwarding may not be necessary, but I don't really know.

Hopefully Adrian or Koala5 who I think operate slingboxes may see the post and contribute.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I hardly ever switch my router off anyway... But any help would be great...

Thanks

It does not really matter whether you switch the router off or not, it is still liable to reboot and end up with another IP address. Dynamic DNS is free, so getting this set up should your first priority.

I do not have a slingbox so any information I could give you would be second hand. One thing I will point out is unless you have a good upload speed, you will not be able to stream very well. Hopefully someone will come along and give you the information you need. All I can do in the meantime is to refer you to this tutorial which describes how to set up a slingbox for remote viewing.
      How to Access a Slingbox Remotely | eHow.com

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12