Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing the Gateway IP

This is a discussion on Changing the Gateway IP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My friends new Sky broadband is running really slow. A 'tracert' command shows that it struggles with the next hop ...

MCS09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing the Gateway IP

My friends new Sky broadband is running really slow. A 'tracert' command shows that it struggles with the next hop after his own router.

Is there any way that you can change the Gateway IP on the router? I can't see any option to edit when I log in to the router.

Thanks

Charlie.

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Changing the Gateway IP

Quote Originally Posted by MCS09 View Post
      My friends new Sky broadband is running really slow. A 'tracert' command shows that it struggles with the next hop after his own router.
      The next hop after his router would usually be out to the internet (in the case of Sky BB, usually an Easynet router). This is of course out of your control and is limited by the speed of the connection. I would suggest posting your conection stats.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS09 View Post
      Is there any way that you can change the Gateway IP on the router? I can't see any option to edit when I log in to the router.
      To change the Gateway IP you just need to change the IP address of the router as the router is the gateway. This is unlikely to help the problem though.

MCS09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Changing the Gateway IP

I want to change the Gateway IP of the router itself, not the gateway configured on the laptop wireless NIC (which, of course, would be my router).

When running the tracert from the laptop, it struggles to find the next router after my own router. It eventually finds a different one and goes through that. I want to change the Gateway IP on my router (or default route in the routing table) so that everything going to the outside world goes to a router of my choice (which is the one it chooses after trying the configured default router).

Cheers

Charlie.