Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yet another dropped connection problem

This is a discussion on Yet another dropped connection problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry about this guys, you must get sick of this question but i could do with some advice. Ive been ...

zooks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yet another dropped connection problem

Sorry about this guys, you must get sick of this question but i could do with some advice.

Ive been on sky mid pack for 2 years now and my sky supplied netgear V1 router was bad from the start and kept dropping out. My connection has been totally reliable since I ditched the netgear router for a dlink 2640b.

However it recently totally lost connection so i popped the netgear back on and that connected ok but was still unreliable and dropping dsl at some point every day.

I called Sky and they sent me a new router (sagem f@st). I didnt want to use the sagem because I dont think i can extract my password to use on the dlink but my connection is now so bad i have had no choice.

Here are my stats from the test socket(2 bt wires)

WAN PPPoA 17257 27403 0 0 0 1:52:56
      LAN 105503 86749 0 4520 2512 3:42:54
      WLAN 49528 70829 0 1144 1112 3:42:26

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 409 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.5 db 28.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.7 db 23.0 db

You can see my speeds from my sig which seem low to me,
      my exchange details are

Distance:- Direct: 1.25 mi
      (appx)*By Road: 1.6 mi

Fixed ADSL: 2048 (2 Mb)
      DSL Max: 4000 (4 Mb)

Help, I have angry teenagers here.
      Last edited by zooks; 08-06-09 at 04:14 PM.
      URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Yet another dropped connection problem

It looks like your line has either been on DLM or it has been put on ADSL2+ which has capped it. It would have been useful if you could have posted your stats from the routers normal position. There may be noise there which made the cap necessary. Could you do that please.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, here are my stats with the router connected to my normal tele phone point

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2455 2858 0 0 0 0:03:08
      LAN 182848 161200 0 3170 3384 6:10:43
      WLAN 117512 124094 0 216 184 6:10:15
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.5 db 28.6 db
      Noise Margin 15.4 db 22.5 db

Thanks for your help

Thanks

There is very little difference, but enough to show you have been put on ADSL2+. This may be the reason your line has been dropping. Have a look at the Broadband details section on your MySky page, it should tell you there if your line is in training. If it does not or tells you it has finished, phone Sky and ask them to trouble-shoot your line for speed. Tell them you noise margin is very high and you think your connection is capped. If you phone after 10.30 pm you should get through to CST who will fix it in minutes. If your line is still training, give it a few days and check your stats again. Remember keep your router plugged in and powered up, if it is training it will reboot itself you do not have to do anything.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok on my sky its says "line testing not in progress" and also estimates my speed as being 4.5Mb.

I will give them a call tomorrow, thanks

Thanks

You are better phoning after 10.30 pm, you are more likely to get straight through to a UK agent.

TomD

Useful Utilites

pete_l is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zooks View Post
      Ive been on sky mid pack for 2 years now and my sky supplied netgear V1 router was bad from the start and kept dropping out. My connection has been totally reliable since I ditched the netgear router for a dlink 2640b.

However it recently totally lost connection so i popped the netgear back on and that connected ok but was still unreliable and dropping dsl at some point every day.
      I have a netgear router and have been suffering greatly from dropouts, too. However I have a little script that snarfs data from the netgear's status page and stores them. From that, I think I've found a pattern - that the dropouts occur mostly at weekends. Does this mean that Sky are faffing around, doing upgrades at weekends, or the opposite - that their people aren't working so more problems occur, or just that their network gets hammered at the weekend and can't cope? I don't know.
      Anyway, here's my graph for tha past 2 months showing what I mean. Saturday and Sunday are highlighted in yellow.

Thanks

Does this mean that Sky are faffing around, doing upgrades at weekends, or the opposite - that their people aren't working so more problems occur, or just that their network gets hammered at the weekend and can't cope?
      There might be a small decrease in download speed due to net activity, but it should not cause your router to loose its connection, certainly not up to 35 times a day. Your problem seems to have started around 22/23 May, so I would be looking for some change in your set up that occurred around that date. Were you, for instance, moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+? This could possibly account for it if your line is having trouble with that mode. I have no idea why it should occur mostly at weekends if this is the case, unless you are using the net more yourself during this period.

TomD

Useful Utilites

pete_l is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There might be a small decrease in download speed due to net activity, but it should not cause your router to loose its connection, certainly not up to 35 times a day. Your problem seems to have started around 22/23 May, so I would be looking for some change in your set up that occurred around that date. Were you, for instance, moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+? This could possibly account for it if your line is having trouble with that mode. I have no idea why it should occur mostly at weekends if this is the case, unless you are using the net more yourself during this period.
      Maybe I misrepresented the data. I didn't start getting problems in May, that's just when this particular graph is from. I've got records and logs showing similar patterns going back to Sept-08, including times when I've been away but with the router still on(so no n/w activity) and it STILL disconnects on a regular basis. Although to be fair, the recent past has been pretty reliable - since a couple of weekdays in Feb (not a weekend, and what looks like a different issue) when I have over 1300 disconnects in the 48 hour period.

Thanks

If you are getting disconnects at all, you should look into the reason for them. It could be your line, internal wiring, a faulty exchange connection or even a faulty router.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast