Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DNS trouble; new firmware time?

This is a discussion on DNS trouble; new firmware time? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey chaps, I've been on Sky BB for a few years now, and bar the odd random disconnect (and dreadful ...

Paulscottcanavan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation DNS trouble; new firmware time?

Hey chaps,

I've been on Sky BB for a few years now, and bar the odd random disconnect (and dreadful speed considering it's supposedly 16mb), it's been pretty stable. Yesterday however, I recieved the error "The DNS server may be experiencing problems".

Now I have experienced this in the past and normally a quick reset sorts it out. This time it seems determined to stay. It's worth noting that I'm experiencing this issue on all wireless machines in the house; a Windows 7 Evaluation desktop, an XP desktop, a Vista laptop, an XP laptop, a PS3
      and an iPhone; so I assume that the problem is surrounding either the router or the Sky servers themselves. Despite this, I have attempted:

• changing the DNS settings in Internet Protocol V4 to the Sky servers, and then to the addresses provided by OpenDNS
      •resetting the router countless times
      •flushing the DNS cache (and re-registering)
      •checking the filter and connections etc - all fine and dandy

What I think I need to do would me to change the DNS servers in the router (possibly to the OpenDNS servers I've heard so much about)? However, to do that I would need to upgrade it's firmware - what do you think, am I way off here? Of course if this is the case I'll have to figure out a way to actually download the firmware, but we can tackle that problem when we get to it

I'm using the Netgear DG834GT. Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated; I'm starting to fall behind on my concept work!!

Many thanks,

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: DNS trouble; new firmware time?

Go here - Community Updates for the DG834GT download James CU firmware and put it on your router. This allows you to change the DNS servers among other things. Note that this is modified Sky firmware and appears to the Sky servers as normal, it is capable of being remotely upgraded by Sky, which adheres to the T & Cs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Being somewhat of a noob when it comes to networking (and since I'm using a phone to browse and thus googling is a tedious prospect), do the official firmware updates not enable DNS configuration? While I have no doubt that James' drivers are superior to netgear's, Im cautious about installing unofficial drivers on a router which does not belong to me (it's my family's machine, and thus if it gets screwed up itll be me who has to deal with it). If something were to go wrong, how would I go about restoring the firmware to it's factory settings?

Thanks for your help mate.

Thanks

The Official Sky firmware does not allow you to change the DNS servers. The official Netgear firmware does, but using this actually makes your Sky router a non-Sky router, if you follow me. ie.,Looking back from their servers the router would appear as a standard Netgear router, not a Sky one. Apart from this flashing with standard Netgear firmware is a bit more complicated, requiring the use of special recovery software which does not work well on all PCs. It can be very troublesome to install.
      James firmware, on the other hand, appears to the Sky servers as Sky firmware and as such the Update function of the router can be used to install it. To use it, download http://www.delweddau.com/images/DG83....87.CU3.04.img to your desktop, open the router settings, type http://192.168.0.1 in the browser address bar, username admin password sky. Click the 'Router Upgrade' link on the left of the status page, then browse to the file you have saved on your desktop, select it and click Upload. A few minutes later the job is done.
      Just a couple of warnings, disconnect the router from the internet and only have the PC you are using for the upgrade plugged in and connected by cable.
      If you want to return to the Sky firmware, copy the image file from the installation CD to your desktop and just browse to it in the Upgrade page. This will be the old Sky firmware which will be updated automatically by Sky when you go on line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

many thanks! It's a rare pleasure to receive clear, concise help like this ANC it is very much appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately that didn't work; the firmware installed perfectly, I set the DNS servers to "fixed" and entered the opendns servers, but I stilll receive the same error. To make matters worse my family seem to have misplaced the installation disk, and this using that to restore the default firmware Is a no-go.

Could anybody possibly send me/link the default Sky driver for the dg834gt? My email address is paulscottcanavan@gmail.com

In the mean time, Id really like to get this sorted without having to call out sky technicians; any suggestions as to what my next step should be? Getting a little worried now!
      Last edited by Paulscottcanavan; 08-06-09 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks

Did you remember to click apply and reboot the router when you made the changes? The OpenDNS servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. You can check if you are using OpenDNS by going to OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet where you will see a notice to the effect you are using OpenDNS. As long as it is working I would not bother changing back to the original, there are other useful tweaks in the CU firmware, the ease of getting Detailed stats for one.

If you decide not to use OpenDNS, just untick 'Fixed DNS settings' and reboot, this will return it to the Sky servers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I still can't access any websites (Ive been writing these posts using 3G on my phone).

I am apparently connected to the network, but I still get the DNS error. Looking at my router status page, under "ADSL Port" the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP Address and Domain Name Server are all blank - could this be an issue?

Thanks

If these are blank, it means your router is not connecting at all. Under the ADSL Port you should see something like this -
      MAC Address .. 00:xx:4D:xx:8B:xx
      IP Address
      .......90.203.4.XX
      Network Type
      ..PPPoA IP
      Subnet Mask
      Gateway IP Address ...87.87.251.7
      Domain Name Server ...208.67.222.222.... 208.67.220.220

Are all the lights on the router lit (except unused ports) and coloured Green?

Press the Sky Test button and note the error it gives.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I get the error:

The Sky Test was unable to detect the Internet connection
      Error Code:100

Only the first and third lights are illuminated on the router (power and wireless).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast