Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Am I getting a good speed?

This is a discussion on Am I getting a good speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry for late reply. Had to run out to Tesco to grab dinner! (Steak! mmmmm) Anyway, this is my latest ...

jonathanc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Oakley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Am I getting a good speed?

Sorry for late reply. Had to run out to Tesco to grab dinner! (Steak! mmmmm)

Anyway, this is my latest stats after all the prodding the switching filters etc:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7360 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30 db 16 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 10 db

Reckon I could call Sky up and somehow convince them to uncapped my d/l speed?
      Perhaps make sure I am on ADSL2+ ?

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think you've misunderstood. As your Noise Margin is at 8db, then you are on the max connection for your line condition.

As I have previously said, if sky were capping you, then your Noise Margin would be way in excess of 8db.

Now your attenuation suggests that you should get 12-14Mb, so if your line conditon is fine then you should have a significantly higher NM for a connection of only 7Mb.

Even if you are not on ADSL2+, you would get the full 8Mb sync if all was well.

Something is affecting your line and you need to find what it is.

You need to find out what is deteriorating your line to only have an 8db noise margin for your connection of 7Mb

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can you take another photo of inside your master socket (ie where the main cable come in and connects to the test socket.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Also can you have a look at the wiring of my master socket? Looks a bit dodgy...
      It looks like the blue wire has come loose. This could be leading to one of your extensions which will now be inoperative. Push it back in on top of the other blue wire. The use the edge of a credit card, don't use a screwdriver or you will damage the contacts. The ring wire is disconnected, so you don't have to bother about that. The other wires you see are not required so you can tuck them out of the way.

If you have one, you can use the RJ11 lead from a dial up modem to connect your router. This would plug straight into the Test socket and would rule out whether dodgy filters are causing the problem.

You could call out BT, but make sure you tell them the problem is intermittent. If you don't and they find nothing wrong when they come, they will want to charge you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful advice
      Spoke to the "technical" department and gave all the stats I have and told them I should get a better d/l speed. She asked me to do some routine stuff such as reboot router, connect directly to test socket, only use 1 ethernet cable to connect to a PC...etc etc
      In the end she ran out of excuses and said that she will pass me to the right department to diagnose the problem.
      Waited 5 mins then she said that the line is busy and she will request them to call me back. She also gave me a reference number.
      Why do I have the feeling that no one is going to call me back?

Exchange:
      Thanks

If sky do fix your problem, then please post back with what they did.

I still feel that the cause it outside of Sky's control and lies somewhere in your area (or BTs).

Of course, the one thing that we haven't touched on is that the router could have a defect. If sky cannot come up with any reason (and I don't think they will as per my previous posts), then ask for a replacement router so that we can rule that out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      If sky do fix your problem, then please post back with what they did.

I still feel that the cause it outside of Sky's control and lies somewhere in your area (or BTs).

Of course, the one thing that we haven't touched on is that the router could have a defect. If sky cannot come up with any reason (and I don't think they will as per my previous posts), then ask for a replacement router so that we can rule that out.
      Will do, although I suspect the technician will call you back within 24 hours thing was just a cover up
      Guess that's what all call centre operators are trained to do if they don't know how to answer the customer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

She also gave me a reference number.
      Why do I have the feeling that no one is going to call me back?
      Having a reference number is half the battle, it means you do not have to go through all the tests again. I think these numbers only have a life of 72 hours, if you don't hear by this evening, call yourself and give the ticket number.

I have to agree with Red, but hopefully Sky will ask BT to look at your line if they can do nothing themselves.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234