Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 19

    Speed issue

    This is a discussion on Speed issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I posted in another section about connection speed but was advised to post here. I've had Sky Broadband max for ...

    1. #1
      Airwaves's Avatar
      Airwaves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidstone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      24
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Speed issue

      I posted in another section about connection speed but was advised to post here. I've had Sky Broadband max for a while now since Dec 06 and was under the impression I was getting at least 8MB and in the beginning speed tests confirmed it around the 5~6MB mark which I was satisfied with.

      Lately however in these tests im getting around 3.5, sometimes 3.2. Anyone know what's going on? What is the maximum speed I should be getting.

      I will post my router stats, what do people need, detailed? I have BSR installed and currently have it running.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Andy17's Avatar
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      1,370
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Could you post the detailed stats.

    4. #3
      Airwaves's Avatar
      Airwaves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidstone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      24
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      /usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 1
      Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3232 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 21.6 13.0
      Attn(dB): 36.0 22.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.6 11.5
      Max(Kbps): 3520 1120
      Rate (Kbps): 3232 768
      G.dmt framing
      K: 102(0) 25
      R: 16 16
      S: 2 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 222 25
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.0717 8.6153
      L: 1784 208
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 1120053 1120063
      SFErr: 299 53
      RS: 38081834 9519532
      RSCorr: 22867 140
      RSUnCorr: 7057 0

      HEC: 203 33
      OCD: 25 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 145123695 0
      Data Cells: 3053811 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

      ES: 21 0
      SES: 12 0
      UAS: 35 0
      AS: 19041

      INP: 2.29 2.46
      PER: 1.87 1.88
      delay: 17.14 17.23
      OR: 29.85 29.71

      Bitswap: 0 0

      Total time = 6 hours 44 min 34 sec
      SF = 1424373
      CRC = 1005
      LOS = 13
      LOF = 8
      ES = 21
      Latest 1 day time = 6 hours 44 min 34 sec
      SF = 1424373
      CRC = 1005
      LOS = 13
      LOF = 8
      ES = 21
      Latest 15 minutes time = 14 min 34 sec
      SF = 51389
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52982
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52923
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52923
      CRC = 76
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52923
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Showtime Drop Reason: 1
      Last Retrain Reason: 1

      3.2 today. Last night it was 4.1!

    5. #4
      Donaldson2121's Avatar
      Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Location
      Newcastle-Under-Lyme
      Posts
      245
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Im new to all this but from advice that other have given me and reading the sticky about speed/noise/attenuation is looks like your modem is syncing at a slow speed compared to what you should get with attenuation of 36.0db and 22.0db

      The chart on the forums suggest you could expect speeds between 11-14Mb on Max
      35db...................................2.5km...... ...............................14500kbps
      40db...................................2.9km...... ...............................11800kbps

      your noise levels show you could sync at a higher speed too.

      Perhaps your line is going through DLM training or has done and been capped off at the wrong speed.

      Hopefully im not way of the mark but im sure one of the tech guys here can give you more detailed explanation of what you could get and steps to improve.

      Best of luck

    6. #5
      Andy17's Avatar
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      1,370
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      You have been capped and i can also see from the stats that you are not on ADSL2+.
      I would recommend that you phone sky after 10.30pm and get through to CST and ask to be put on ADSL2+ and to rise the cap abit.

      Hope this helps.

    7. #6
      Airwaves's Avatar
      Airwaves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidstone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      24
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      You have been capped and i can also see from the stats that you are not on ADSL2+.
      I would recommend that you phone sky after 10.30pm and get through to CST and ask to be put on ADSL2+ and to rise the cap abit.

      Hope this helps.
      Thanks, will do. What is the reason I have been capped as max is meant to be uncapped/unlimited. Or you mean my speed has been capped for some reason not my usage.

    8. #7
      gosh's Avatar
      gosh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      3
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Hi,

      My sky BB max was activated on 16/05/2009 and bleow are my readings
      Taking with & without the test socket.

      I am roughly 0.38 mi from the exchange and appx, by road is 0.7 mi

      Could I get more speed than what I'm getting now.

      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 478:51:08

      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 16272942 17067143 0 0 0 434:59:00
      LAN 154457 176974 0 150 800 478:51:08
      WLAN 18792819 17723933 0 108 0 478:50:43
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11868 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 14.2 db
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 14.0 db



      Test socket stats:
      Router Statistics System Up Time: 478:59:53


      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1506 1556 0 3536 3600 0:04:10
      LAN 159263 181380 0 150 712 478:59:53
      WLAN 18793605 17724627 0 4020 0 478:59:28
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11868 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 14.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.5 db


      Stats without the phone line in the test socket( just the filter & router)
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 478:59:53


      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1506 1556 0 3536 3600 0:04:10
      LAN 159263 181380 0 150 712 478:59:53
      WLAN 18793605 17724627 0 4020 0 478:59:28
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11868 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 14.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.5 db

      Distance from exchange is 0.38 mi & (appx)* by Road 0.7 mi

      Thanks

    9. #8
      Andy17's Avatar
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      1,370
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
      Thanks, will do. What is the reason I have been capped as max is meant to be uncapped/unlimited. Or you mean my speed has been capped for some reason not my usage.
      Sorry, I ment your connection speed has been capped not usage.

    10. #9
      Andy17's Avatar
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      1,370
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Quote Originally Posted by gosh View Post
      Hi,

      My sky BB max was activated on 16/05/2009 and bleow are my readings
      Taking with & without the test socket.

      I am roughly 0.38 mi from the exchange and appx, by road is 0.7 mi

      Could I get more speed than what I'm getting now.

      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 478:51:08

      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 16272942 17067143 0 0 0 434:59:00
      LAN 154457 176974 0 150 800 478:51:08
      WLAN 18792819 17723933 0 108 0 478:50:43
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11868 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 14.2 db
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 14.0 db



      Test socket stats:
      Router Statistics System Up Time: 478:59:53


      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1506 1556 0 3536 3600 0:04:10
      LAN 159263 181380 0 150 712 478:59:53
      WLAN 18793605 17724627 0 4020 0 478:59:28
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11868 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 14.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.5 db


      Stats without the phone line in the test socket( just the filter & router)
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 478:59:53


      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1506 1556 0 3536 3600 0:04:10
      LAN 159263 181380 0 150 712 478:59:53
      WLAN 18793605 17724627 0 4020 0 478:59:28
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11868 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 db 14.3 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.5 db

      Distance from exchange is 0.38 mi & (appx)* by Road 0.7 mi

      Thanks
      You seem to be at the fastest speed that your line can handle, looking at your noise margin.

    11. #10
      Airwaves's Avatar
      Airwaves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Maidstone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Posts
      24
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Speed issue

      Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
      Sorry, I ment your connection speed has been capped not usage.
      Thanks for the help. I will give them a ring soon and find out what is going on.


     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION