Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Free from Sky!

This is a discussion on Free from Sky! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well for all the Sky hassles I've had I'm finally free, no more 50kbps download speed for 17 a month ...

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Free from Sky!

Well for all the Sky hassles I've had I'm finally free, no more 50kbps download speed for 17 a month (despite originally being on the Mid package for 5 a month... I'm no longer in a sky area despite being in the same house). No more heavy phone bills wading through tech support.

On O2 for a week and loving it, 9 a month for 14 meg, even the router can stream better - films used to stop on the Sky Netgear one as it overheated. Same speed day or night from the line. Awesome.

Not relevant to Sky forum really but just expressing my relief at getting rid. Hope the rest of you have some luck with your problems!

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Free from Sky!

Jimrod
      Hi pleased everything has gone well at O2 you will meet a lot of Skyusers dont forget to keep in touch
      Skyuser has a new sister site - O2User - Unofficial help and support for O2 -Check it out

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Glad you are a happy bunny! but just a bit curious, how could you first be in a mid package area then suddenly not?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

He probably wasn't, most likely he was on the 5 per month Connect package as they thought they were going to install equipment into the exchange and then didn't. Once they knew the exchange wasn't being updated or wasn't getting any LLU capacity added they put him back on the full price.

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Glad you are a happy bunny! but just a bit curious, how could you first be in a mid package area then suddenly not?
      Well as the previous poster also said it's not possible, that's also what Sky told me - until they checked their records and I got an "Oh yeah! That's odd! Never heard of that happening before!" - I was on Mid, showed on bill as Mid. The only explanation I can think of is that a couple of the local exchanges were moving some equipment around and I think a whole area of phone numbers were switched to a new exchange. (If you're in Swindon the Blusdon exchange seems to have moved much of the 701 prefix numbers to Haydon...).

On a side note, getting my MAC code was a bitch, took about a month as I got "nothing on our records" two weeks running followed by numerous "we'll look into that, I'll just put you on hold a second... *disconnected*" moments. Same situation for a work colleague - I took it to Ofcom who took it to high level Sky and I was called with a MAC code within two days and was credited back for my calls. I believe they are deliberately obtuse in many cases, I was at no point rude or swearing at them etc. though understandably took a much firmer tone by the third call...