Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB and BT BB in the same house

This is a discussion on Sky BB and BT BB in the same house within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys I would be grateful for a bit of advice pls as neither sky nor BT have answered this ...

Dave Angel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky BB and BT BB in the same house

Hi guys

I would be grateful for a bit of advice pls as neither sky nor BT have answered this to my satisfaction.

I currently have two phone lines, one is Broadband enabled with BT, the other just a house phone line. As we rarely use the house phone, we are looking to switch this line to Sky as it will work out cheaper.

In the process of doing so, i see that i may as well get BB on this line as well. The thing is i use the currently BB enabled line for business as well, and with the call packages BT are offering for 0845/0870 and the like, i am happy to stick with it.

Ideally, i would like to get Sky BB installed on the current phone only line, and if i am happy with the connection eventually will downgrade the BT line to phone only, for the call package and my fax machine.

Is this possible? As I have two seperate lines and seperate numbers can i get Sky BB installed on line 2 while BT BB is still active on line 1? Will this have any effect on the connection for either/both lines?

I am reluctant to take the plunge without checking, as I need at least one working connection at all times, and if the XBox went out of action or had reduced performance then i wouldnt be very popular either!

One other issue, the phone only line has connections through the master socket in the hall, into our bedroom (working fine) and in our lounge, which doesnt seem to be connected up. When we had Sky plus installed we had to run an extension to the hall for the initial set up. Can the Sky enginner connect up the extension socket in the lounge, or do i need to get BT/Sparky/Do it myself? If SKy do it is there a charge?

Grateful for any advice, please let me know if you need more info, and sorry if this is answered elsewhere, i did have a good look around the site.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB and BT BB in the same house

You can have Sky ADSL on any BT line so you can have BT and Sky if you have two lines.

When you order with Sky just give them the number for the line you want to use. You will then have to seperate BB connections with two routers etc.

As for the wiring, you can speak to the engineer, some will and some wont mess with it, it depends on who you get on the day, a few 's may help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ideally, i would like to get Sky BB installed on the current phone only line, and if i am happy with the connection eventually will downgrade the BT line to phone only, for the call package and my fax machine

One thing to bare in mind is that Sky Broadband is a domestic only service, business use is specifically banned.
      2. Using Sky Broadband
      (a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. It must not be used for any commercial or business purpose.
      That aside, there is no reason why you cannot have 2 different ISPs connected to 2 different lines.

One other thing to check is that Sky have enabled your exchange. If they have not, I doubt if anyone here would recommend the Connect service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Smithy, appreciate the reply. I will have a word with the engineer, as i dont want a router in the hallway (nowhere for it to go anyway) i will perhaps encourage it is connected in the lounge, hopefully he will be agreeable!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks also Isitme, i only really need the phone line for the business, fax and calls to 0870s and the like. Save the occasional email , i wont be using the bb for business, but i note your advice. I had already come to the conclusion not to bother with connect, doesnt seem massively popular on here!