Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky and UKONLINE. I'm puzzled

This is a discussion on Sky and UKONLINE. I'm puzzled within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After recieving my email off sky telling me I could order max I phoned up ukonline asking for my mac ...

adewolves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky and UKONLINE. I'm puzzled

After recieving my email off sky telling me I could order max I phoned up ukonline asking for my mac code. They said it would be with me within 48 hours, it wasn't I had to phone them and when I did finally get through a lady informed me that I didn't need a mac code to move to sky, she was extremely adamant about this.

So I phoned up sky to place my order, and you can guess what they said, I needed a mac code. This time I was adamant that I didn't so the lady on the phone said she'd try to put the order thorough, and bingo it went through ok.

I had a phone call just off sky telling me that they needed my mac code before they can continue with my order, again I told them I was informed that I didn'yt and she said ok then. I asked if the order would still go through, she said yes and when I asked when it would be installed she told me I would have a phone call within 2 days, to be honest she didn't sound very convincing. I was told originaly on Friday that it would take 5 working days to install, I took this with a pinch of salt. At the moment I'm on ip stream with uko and not llu. I'm just really confused now, and scared to death that I will be without any broadband at alll very soon. Any advice would be welcome

2. Advertisement
      danbak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      As far as I am aware Easynet (that sky bought to get into broadband) either own or provide the service for ukonline, maybe this is why you don't need a mac code.

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Oh dear. This is all so messed up. I'm with UK Online and investiged a move to Sky in the last couple of weeks. I was told various things which (of course) are subtely different to what you've been told. For what it's worth, here's all my info.

I also had delays getting a MAC code from UK Online

I called Sky and told them I wanted to connect and so I'd like to take advantage of the BAND code I'd been sent but could I call them back later with the MAC code. They asked me who my current provider is and then looked at a list all their customer service reps have and said sorry, UK Online is on their list as an ISP who won't issue a MAC code. I knew this to be wrong of course, since UK Online had already promised me a MAC code.

After joining this forum I believe the situation is that, although UK Online will issue you with a MAC code, Sky won't accept it and will insist on a full disconnect of UK Online first before processing your order.

Do a search on this forum for UK Online, there's lots of stuff about it. This is all madness given it is all part of Sky but I think we're stuck. Right now my plan is to wait a few months and hope that when the initial rush is over then Sky might get round to joining the LLU MAC code scheme.

- Julian

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Julian

To be honest I agree it is madness but I think you will find that all MAC Codes come from BTW and they will not accept any MAC Codes for LLU or from LLU providers to anyone at the moment (as far as I know Zen is said to be the only one that will) and Ofcom is looking into changing this to enabled everyone to move where and when they like.

So yes like so many others form UK Online if you want to change over that the only route available to you at the moment
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here