Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What are sky playing at?

This is a discussion on What are sky playing at? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folk I am fairly new to Sky BB . I am on the Sky Max product with the Sagem ...

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

What are sky playing at?

Hi Folk
      I am fairly new to Sky BB. I am on the Sky Max product with the Sagem f@st router.
      I went live on the 18th of May 09 on the DLM process. On the 23rd May the DLM process had finished as stated in mysky/broadband/service details. It was capped at 8mb.
      My line attenuation is 33.db My internal socket an ancient non NTE5 socket. I am plugged into that socket via Cat5 twisted shielded pair pro cable 5 mtrs which in turn connects to an ADSL Nation XTF filtered socket. From there my router is plugged in via an ADSL Nation RJ11 shielded cable. There are no other internal extensions save for the skybox one that runs from the filtered socket.

Sam knows has my distance from the exchange as
      Exchange: Adwick Le Street. BT Code: SLADK
      Distance:- Direct: 1.17 km
      (appx)* By Road: 1.77 km
      All external BT wire from home to post was renewed a couple of years back.
      My previous ISP was Zen internet. I synced the full 8125db with no problems.
      Incidentally my DG834GT repoted line attenuation as 28db
      So after the back ground info I rang sky re DLM capping at 8 mb. It was immediately raised to 14225kbps and stayed there for a few days. for some reason it was dropped to 13225kbps which was fine and to me acceptable.

Now I find this Download Speed

Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to
      8.0Mb (8192Kb)
      and this
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8895 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 16.0 db
      Noise Margin 14.8 db 15.5 db

Yesterday I switched off router for an hour as I was moving desk nothing changed on connection until this today.

Just what is going on here? I rang sky and ended up trying to explain to some non UK script monkey and got no where fast. I could barely hear him over the loud background chatter from his muckers.

My internal wiring is as good as it gets save for the non NTE5 socket and cant afford 200 high way robbery BT want to change it.

Advise welcome

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: What are sky playing at?

it's either an auto-regrade or DLM has kicked in again...OR, worst case, the wiring in the house which - without a test socket - can't be confirmed...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it's either an auto-regrade or DLM has kicked in again...OR, worst case, the wiring in the house which - without a test socket - can't be confirmed...
      If it where an auto regrade it would display that in Mysky/broadband and the same if the DLM process had kicked in again.
      As for the worst case the wiring in the house scenario just because i don't have an NTE5 master socket does not mean it can't be tested. What a cop out !.
      Did you not read the bit about stability and max sync under my previous ISP?
      Because if that don't prove my internal set up then I don't know what does.

Thanks

auto regrade won't show in the service status on MySky as it's done in house there and then by a regrade script...DLM might show but I don't know how the MySky site links up with it after the first time is done...

and just cause you've had stability now - DLM might be kicking up issues you never knew you had - you asked for suggestions and I gave them to you...if you don't like it don't ask!! just cause you're SNR is high suggesting you're capped did you think to ask as to why you were in the first place when speaking to CST?...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

auto regrade won't show in the service status on MySky as it's done in house there and then by a regrade script...DLM might show but I don't know how the MySky site links up with it after the first time is done...

and just cause you've had stability now - DLM might be kicking up issues you never knew you had - you asked for suggestions and I gave them to you...if you don't like it don't ask!! just cause you're SNR is high suggesting you're capped did you think to ask as to why you were in the first place when speaking to CST?...
      With respect
      I have had Bt test the line today. Perfect results. I have spoken to CST just now and they are at a loss as to why this has happened. They too have line tested and found absolutely no fault.
      They confirmed that no stability issues are showing. They confirmed that the DLM process has not kicked in because there was nothing to cause it to kick in.
      There is nothing wrong with my line nor my internal set up. All confirmed by Sky CST. This has now been escalated by CST

Quite frankly I find you attitude negative and blinkered.

Thanks

Just had CST ring me and profusely apologise over this issue. It seems I was caught up in a mass regrade process. He confirmed my Line has no problems what so ever and has now sorted out the problem.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13062 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 16.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 10.0 db

Thanks

told you it was an auto regrade...glad you're sorted though

and although it came across as arsey - i was only matching your tone...you're the one who rubbished my theories and seeing as I work for CST i should think my suggestions are always valid...and in this case, correct!

i now await your apology

Thanks

told you it was an auto regrade...glad you're sorted though

and although it came across as arsey - i was only matching your tone...you're the one who rubbished my theories and seeing as I work for CST i should think my suggestions are always valid...and in this case, correct!

i now await your apology
      Well here it is Iamnottheenemy my unreserved apology .
      but seriously its been a frustrating day. If only the call centres where kept within the UK this could have been sorted out much more professionally.
      Oh and there's still nothing wrong with my internal wire despite not having a test socket. Yes I have been a network tech for a Yorkshire college so I do know a little bit

Thanks

i know mate - we've all been there!! i've never agreed with the auto regrade as it causes this exact issue!!...