Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Download speed dropped since Sky HD+ installation.

This is a discussion on Download speed dropped since Sky HD+ installation. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sine we have had Sky HD+ installed our download speed had dropped by 10 times. Just before the install I ...

LiamWilliams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llangoed
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Download speed dropped since Sky HD+ installation.

Sine we have had Sky HD+ installed our download speed had dropped by 10 times. Just before the install I was downloading at 600kb/s then after the technician removed and replaced the filter it was only reaching 60kb/s, occasionally 100kb/s+. On speedtest.net our download speed was shown at around 3mb/s but now it only manages to reach 0.5mb/s.
      Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Non now
      Thanks

Re: Download speed dropped since Sky HD+ installation.

Can you temporarily disconnect the HD box, putting everything back to pre-installation to see what happens?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you sure it is running through a filter? The part the TV installers supply is a splitter, this needs to be plugged into a filter.

If you do have a filter in place, it may be faulty, try unplugging the HD box as suggested.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yeah I've changed the filter, I'll have a go disconnecting the sky box.

Thanks

You do know that Connect is throttled, or 'managed' as some call it between about 5.30 and 11pm? Are you speed reductions within these times or is it all the time?

If you have not done so, have a look at this thread - (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You do know that Connect is throttled, or 'managed' as some call it between about 5.30 and 11pm? Are you speed reductions within these times or is it all the time?

If you have not done so, have a look at this thread - (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users
      I know Connect was slow during peak time as I couldn't even load YouTube before, but now it's worse. It is everytime, I've tried resetting the router and leaving it of all night and replacing the filter. Could it possibly be the 40GB download limit? I don't think I have surpassed the limit but is there anyway of checking the download allowance that you have left?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

There is no way to check other than running your own little prog to keep a check on things. You would have to install this on all PC's and then add up the totals yourself. It would also take no account off the usage by games consoles etc.

re-syncing the router a lot will cause your connection speed to reduce because BT's RAMBO system will think this is due to the line becoming unstable so don't reset it too many times in the space of an hour or so.

Connect is starting to become saturated so you may find that your problem is not just due to Sky's capacity issue but also your exchange may be suffering from contention on the BT side which would make matters worse again, sort of like a double hit.

If you are using more than 1.4gb per day on a regular basis then this may cause Sky to put the limit in place but it should still only be during peak times.

Thanks

Try running a BT Performance test using the link in the Connect thread. Take one outwith the peak period and one during the peak period. This might give an idea of what effect the throttling is having on you.

It may be useful if you could post your router stats taken from your normal position and from the Test socket. Has removing the HD box from the line had any effect?

Can you also confirm you are using a wired connection and not wireless?

TomD

Useful Utilites