Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Argh, Help, dropping connection and slow speeds!

This is a discussion on Argh, Help, dropping connection and slow speeds! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, tearing my hair out, please help. Issues: 1. Downloads speeds are not only slow on wireless, but also when ...

plastics is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Argh, Help, dropping connection and slow speeds!

OK, tearing my hair out, please help.

Issues:
      1. Downloads speeds are not only slow on wireless, but also when connected with ethernet cable direct to router
      2. Wireless connection intermittently drops despite windows network manager stating excellent signal and that I'm still connected

I've got a new Dell laptop with Vista 32 bit, network card: Intel Wireless WiFi link 4965AGN with the latest drivers. I am on the Sky Max broadband package (upto 16Mbp).

When I am connected to the router directly with the cable, I still only get max download speed of 1750 Kbps and upload of 350 Kbps. When I am wireless I get the same speeds.

I checked out the Sky Netgear wireless settings on 192.168.0.1 and the router status states:
      Downstream connection speed is 2048Kbps
      Upstream connection speed is 416Kbps

However, when I go on various speed checker sites, including BT's, it suggests that my location should be getting around 4 Mbps based on distance from exchange and the line test.

I've also tried changing the channel from 11 to 6, no improvement.

The additional problem with the wireless connection is that it intermittently drops the connection and then reconnects or sometimes doesn't reconnect unless I actively disconnect using the Networks and Sharing centre.

Sometimes I will be using msn messenger and not even realise that I've been disconnected because I can still type in the conversation, but if I try opening a webpage it cannot connect to the Web! At other times, everything just disconnects and I have to wait for it to automatically reconnect or do it myself.

Most of the time, the connection network manager in the system tray displays the computer with the globe symbol, stating 'Currently connected to SKYXXXXX, Access: Local and Internet' and a full set of bars for the signal quality. If I double click on Network and Sharing Center, the connection is active, the signal strength fluctuates between 'Good, Verygood and Excellent'. If I click on 'Status', it states that I have been connected for the whole time, even if the connection has intermittently dropped in between (e.g. when I can't open the webpages). The stated speed fluctuates between '18, 38, 42 and 54 Mbps' (although I am getting nothing like that on the broadband speed checker tests)

It is bizarre and I cannot think of anything else to do to sort this out, having looked for the whole day on the net!

Anyone have anymore ideas please ?

(I've checked the microfilters, router is directly connected to main socket, I've put it as far away from the cordless telephone as possible, downloaded latest drivers for the laptop, disabled bluetooth as per another forums recommendation,changed channels, disabled firewalls etc.)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Argh, Help, dropping connection and slow speeds!

Post the stats from your normal position and from the Test socket,link below - See here - How to get your router statistics for how to get your stats.

If you are still able to connect to the router when you are unable to get on line then your internet connection is dropping, not the wireless. However as you are running Vista you might benefit from using Vista Anti Lag which stops Vista searching for other wireless points and dropping the connection while it does so.

You may also find downloading and using Netstumbler, link below. This will show the networks in your area and the Channel they are using. Choose one as far from those in use as possible. Remember Channel 13 is usable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

2048k/416k is bang on the money for G.DMT Base.
      Are you absolutley sure you're on Max? It's unusual to have a Max upstream capped at 416k.

Thanks

The stated speed fluctuates between '18, 38, 42 and 54 Mbps' (although I am getting nothing like that on the broadband speed checker tests)
      I meant to say earlier, this is the speed the at which the router is connecting to the PC. It has nothing to do with Internet speed. Post your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Mr Stabby, yes definitely paying for the Max package!

Here are stats from my wireless position sitting in the lounge, and from the ethernet cable connected direct to the router.

Direct via ethernet cable:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 74588 92150 0 500 3695 07:02:55
      LAN 10M/100M 29740 19351 0 783 118 08:19:23
      WLAN 11M/54M 72959 95685 0 4380 670 04:38:37

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 29.5 db
      Noise Margin 26.6 db 14.0 db

Pinging skyuser.co.uk [77.240.11.57] with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from: 77.240.11.57 bytes=32 in 36 ms TTL=128
      Reply from: 77.240.11.57 bytes=32 in 34 ms TTL=128

Stats when using wireless:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 75579 93245 0 494 3631 07:13:39
      LAN 10M/100M 30437 19715 0 774 118 08:30:07
      WLAN 11M/54M 74416 98687 0 4262 659 04:49:21

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 29.5 db
      Noise Margin 26.6 db 14.0 db

initially when pinging i got:
      Request timed out. Status = 11010

Then did:
      Reply from: 77.240.11.57 bytes=32 in 46 ms TTL=128
      Reply from: 77.240.11.57 bytes=32 in 37 ms TTL=128

The internet connection only drops when I'm on wireless, it stays connected and I can surf the web if I am directly connected with the ethernet cable.

When the connection does drop, the browsers hang and don't load up any further pages (firefox, chrome or I.E). I end up having to restart the computer to surf the web again. MSN messenger seems to stay connected however and the network manager in my system tray always says I am connected with a full 5 bars of signal.

Thanks!

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry those stats dont seem to have posted correctly, ive attached it as a word document if thats easier!
      Attached Files Attached Files

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you ever called Sky and they made adjustments to your line? I really can't fathom why your line would be capped at 2Mb/416k when you say you're on Max and with stats like those...

The wireless problem:
      1. Try changing channels by logging into the router and selecting something different. (you've already done this).
      2. Don't use wireless.
      3. Check for local sources of interference, cordless phones, video senders, other wireless accesspoints, microwaves. These sources may not be in your home, they could be in a neighbour's house.
      4. Don't use wireless.
      5. Record over a week or so the time when the signal drops, e.g. if it drops at around 5:30 every evening, is the single guy next door microwaving his meal-for-one?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the tips - I have sent them an email and they've sent me a standard reply of things to do which I will try.
      I can't live without wireless!! - it's so useful, being in the garden and getting work done etc or chilling on a sofa...
      More to the point, I get really cross when I am paying for a service that doesn't work properly...
      In terms of the signal dropping, it drops several times during an internet session e.g. like this afternoon it dropped about 5 times and then I couldn't connect to the web at all and had to restart to connect again (despite the network manager showing a full connection throughout, which is even more annoying!)...ive added some screenshots to show what i mean...

Look forward to any more thoughts....
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by plastics; 25-05-09 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added some screenshots to show what i mean

Thanks

As Mr Stabby says, you appear to be on the Base connection, not Max. The first thing you must do is phone Sky and get this sorted out. You should get between 6 and 8mb.

Looking at your stats, it is the wireless connection that has been dropping, rather than your actual internet connection. Wireless will never be as good as a wired connection and is likely to get worse rather than better. Wireless broadband has been greatly over-hyped and the more that fall into the trap, the worse it will become.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks! i'll check up and find out, its all a bit of a mystery really....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast