Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Aberdeen Balgownie Exchange Connect

This is a discussion on Aberdeen Balgownie Exchange Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Nostromo That bad huh The neighbours signed up for it will have to get him to do ...

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Aberdeen Balgownie Exchange Connect

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
      That bad huh
      The neighbours signed up for it will have to get him to do some speedtests he can be my guinea pig
      Do the speed tests after 5pm and before 12 midnight.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it's not useless, just not good if you game or want constant speed 24/7 (which the OP needs, in this case)...for general browsing/streaming there's nothing wrong with it!!
      If you want to enjoy the internet as it should be enjoyed, it is useless!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Don't get it, don't even entertain the idea...

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Steve's Sky Connect speedtest blog
      It appears that you agree with my view?
      Last edited by yunorisson; 23-05-09 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling error

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

i enjoy perfectly well thank you - currently streaming Die Hard (the first one) on SkyPlayer and browsing without any lag...surely that's the net as it should be?

i don't agree with the fact you say it's useless, as it's not...it's all to do with what you need it for...as i've said, i'm perfectly happy with it but were i a gamer I'd be gone in a second - regardless of it being free...

but i'll also direct people to the threads so people can make up their own minds...which won't happen as everyone paints Connect with the same brush...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

An example for you. This was a post today on another prominent forum that puts the spotlight on how a decent ISP operates on a day to day basis and with UK based CS!!

Quote:

"Thank you IDNet! .. for the past 5 years, at least, our internet speeds have been wayyyyy less than all the official people (even BT!) say they should be. Every ISP has eventually had an engineer visit and the engineer tells us it's the ISP expecting too much altho we have never been charged for an engineer visit so even they agree that it has been 'strange' that we can't get a decent speed.
      Last Friday we moved ISPs again, to IDNet, and on Monday I phoned them with the usual comment: 'is there anything you can do? .. we live 100 metres from our exchange the line is connecting at 8096kbps but thru-put is usually under 1000kbps'!! .. IDNet said they would check the line and get back to me .. Tuesday morning they phoned me and informed me that BT have agreed there is massive contention (small university town with the exchange packed to the rafters and no LLU yet!) and have agreed to put us onto another 'pipe' .. Thursday morning they called me back again to inform me that BT have completed the work! .. and hey presto I do a speed check which comes out at 6200kbps!!!!
      In 4 days IDNet have achieved what no other ISP could do in years and years - we tried the worst (pipex) and the best (NewNet and Zen) and none of them were able to make any kind of inroad with the situation ..
      So far then we are obviously very VERY impressed with IDNet and will recommend them to everyone !!!!
      Today's internet experience has been almost as exciting as the first time in the 1990's when we had 'dial-up' and my husband showed me this 'internet' .. what a voyage of discovery smile"

End of quote A service like this allows the internet to be enjoyed as it should be enjoyed as the last sentence of the post exemplifies.

Nostromo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Unfortuanetly i cant get 02 or Sky LLU only Talk Talk and Orange.
      If Talk Talk did a monthly contract i would give them a try but i wouldnt sign up for 18 months got my fingers burned with 02 Access had to buy my way out of that one

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yunorisson View Post
      An example for you. This was a post today on another prominent forum that puts the spotlight on how a decent ISP operates on a day to day basis and with UK based CS!!

Quote:

"Thank you IDNet! .. for the past 5 years, at least, our internet speeds have been wayyyyy less than all the official people (even BT!) say they should be. Every ISP has eventually had an engineer visit and the engineer tells us it's the ISP expecting too much altho we have never been charged for an engineer visit so even they agree that it has been 'strange' that we can't get a decent speed.
      Last Friday we moved ISPs again, to IDNet, and on Monday I phoned them with the usual comment: 'is there anything you can do? .. we live 100 metres from our exchange the line is connecting at 8096kbps but thru-put is usually under 1000kbps'!! .. IDNet said they would check the line and get back to me .. Tuesday morning they phoned me and informed me that BT have agreed there is massive contention (small university town with the exchange packed to the rafters and no LLU yet!) and have agreed to put us onto another 'pipe' .. Thursday morning they called me back again to inform me that BT have completed the work! .. and hey presto I do a speed check which comes out at 6200kbps!!!!
      In 4 days IDNet have achieved what no other ISP could do in years and years - we tried the worst (pipex) and the best (NewNet and Zen) and none of them were able to make any kind of inroad with the situation ..
      So far then we are obviously very VERY impressed with IDNet and will recommend them to everyone !!!!
      Today's internet experience has been almost as exciting as the first time in the 1990's when we had 'dial-up' and my husband showed me this 'internet' .. what a voyage of discovery smile"

End of quote A service like this allows the internet to be enjoyed as it should be enjoyed as the last sentence of the post exemplifies.
      I agree that's what should happen but as IDNet use just BTW they obviously have more access to the pipes - Sky don't as their money goes into the LLU network...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
      Unfortuanetly i cant get 02 or Sky LLU only Talk Talk and Orange.
      If Talk Talk did a monthly contract i would give them a try but i wouldnt sign up for 18 months got my fingers burned with 02 Access had to buy my way out of that one
      Good thinking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12