Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Trade off

This is a discussion on Trade off within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to connect (for the past 2 yrs) at 3448kb/768kb, snr 7.1db, attn 60db at night but recently (past ...

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Barlby, North Yorks

Unhappy Trade off

I used to connect (for the past 2 yrs) at 3448kb/768kb, snr 7.1db, attn 60db at night but recently (past month or so) this has dropped to 3168Kb/768kb, snr 8.6db at night. I switch the router off every night, but for the past few days ive left it on to see if it my d/s sync would go back with no luck. Ive done all the checks, test socket, filter, line noise, rebooting with no luck. Anyone got any ideas on how to get my speed back up. I do know its not a big drop but considering my low original sync, (thats what I get for living in the sticks(ish)), any improvement is a godsend.

Oh and another thing, if I were to ask CS to decrease my dowload sync from say 768 to say 416/512, would that give my d/s sync some more headroom for a wee bit more of an increase.

Thanks in advance

adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3168 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.3 9.0
      Attn(dB): 60.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 17.7 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 3520 928
      Rate (Kbps): 3168 768

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Trade off

Tbh, do you really think 300k is going to make much difference ? As your snr has risen slightly there may be some external influence / degradation that has effected the sync ( could even be the weather, water etc if the line is underground at any point ) but as your stats show the max yould posibly hope for is around 3.5 meg.
      Unfortunately reducing your upload sync with Sky wont change your download sync, I think O2 do offer a trade off but this is only on high syncing lines.
      You could save yourself 5 a month tho by downgrading, but that comes with reductions in download allowances which I suspect you wouldnt want if 300k is that important to you.