Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed drop after resetting router

This is a discussion on Speed drop after resetting router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, new to sky broadband and this forum but am having a probem with my wireless speed. I have the ...

mookid83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed drop after resetting router

Hi, new to sky broadband and this forum but am having a probem with my wireless speed. I have the sky mid package and after the training period i was getting speeds of about 7.11mb according to speedtest.net. Recently i found pages loading slower than before and did a speedtest and i was getting less than 1mb speed, again from speedtest.net even though my router settings showed 8mb still. I reset my router and did another test with the speed going back up to 7mb again, problem solved or so i thought. 5-10 mins after resetting the router my speed drops again to less than 1mb, and this happens every time i reboot the router. I have called sky and they assure me i am getting the full 8mb because my router settings say so and to try turning off any cordless phones and see if there is any interference. I tried this but still the same problem of my speed dropping to 1mb or less. I have also tried the 3 wireless channels that they recommend 1,6,11 and it is the same on all of them. Anyone had this same problem or can suggest what else i can try?

Thanks
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed drop after resetting router-routerstats.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Speed drop after resetting router

Try a different speedtester - speedtest.net is notorious for being inaccurate...

And if you can help it - jack in the wireless and get some homeplugs...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I forgot to say that i also tried the speedtester on this website and it showed under 1mb as well. I know speedtest sites will not be 100% accurate but when Sky say im getting 8mb and all the speedtests show 1mb then something has to be wrong somewhere. I will look into homeplugs but no idea how they work. I have my router on the main BT socket in the kitchen downstairs and PC is upstairs directly above it. I Also connect wirelessly to a PS3 which is again downstairs but in a different room. Will homeplugs be suitable for me?

Thanks

have you tried a speedtest wired? as it's likely to be a wireless issue - if you're on LLU and in sync @ 8Mbps you're getting 8Mbps...

and re. homeplugs - get them, if only for the PS3 - as gaming wirelessly is as good as using 2 cups and a piece of string to make a long distance phone call...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have only tried a wired speedtest once when i first set up the sky wireless as i had to move my pc downstairs to do that as i dont have a cable long enough. Maybe i am reading too much into the speedtest results as the router stats download speed always stays at 8mb. I will run a full virus scan on the PC when i get home and then look into homeplugs as an alternative option.

Thanks

i think so, especially as it was working to start with and only recently gone down...wireless is the likely culprit...

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Wireless is a piece of trash, especially since nearly anyone in your street can be emitting on the same channel as you, the best thing is to Wire everything.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I notice that the stats you posted show you are syncing at 6880, not 8Mbs. As your noise margin is 16.6dbs it seems you have been capped, probably as a result of your phone calls to Sky. You should try to get this lifted as your line looks capable of much more, probably 16 Mbs if you were on Max.

You download speed problem is no doubt down to a poor wireless connection as has already been mentioned. Although it may not be easy for you, the best way to prove this is to move your PC close enough to the router to connect with a cable. This will give you the actual speed possible with your connection. With your present capped speed, you should get 5.5-6Mbs. If you find this is the case then invest in a pair of Homeplugs, which will give you almost the same speed in any part of the house you want to use it.

It may be worth you while, if you are not running Vista, to download and run TCPOptimiser, link below. Make sure that both your adapters are optimised.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yer im using Vista. The stats posted are after i changed the wireless channel from 11 to 1. It did show 8mb before i changed the channel. I have just changed it back to channel 11 and its still showing as 6880 so im on the phone now to see what they have done as level 2 support confirmed to me 24hrs ago i was getting 8mb!

Exchange:
      Thanks

After talking to level 1 support and going through all the basic steps AGAIN, i finally got put on hold to talk to level 2 support and in this time by magic my speed went upto 8mb again (see attached image) but i thought i would wait and talk to level 2 support anyway and after i answered the security questions and explained the problem i had the ******* cut me off in mid sentence by putting me back to the hold music and then 30 seconds later the line went dead. Really not impressed with Sky trying to cap my speed and then cut me off when i ask why!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed drop after resetting router-stats-after-phone-call.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast