Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switching from VM and some install questions

This is a discussion on Switching from VM and some install questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone - I've last week cancelled all my VM services and am switching to Sky for TV+phone+broadband. VM's consistently ...

jmauk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canonbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Switching from VM and some install questions

Hi everyone - I've last week cancelled all my VM services and am switching to Sky for TV+phone+broadband. VM's consistently awful connection speeds (I get around 3mbps on a 20mbps line since October last year) and getting a different answer from them every week have pushed me to jump.

Anyway, I'm taking Sky+HD, Max broadband and SkyTalk. The dish and TV service are due to be installed, with an OpenReach letter on its way to tell me when a BT engineer will be here to install the phone line (a week or two later, apparently).

First question is this: will they definitely install a new phone line? That's what Sky have requested and I've paid the 20 for that. I do have (in-active) BT line here but it's about 7 years old, has the ancient ADSL1 face plate and was damned awful even when it was connected. So, will the OpenReach engineer run a new line and install new master socket? I'm within half a mile of the exchange and the Sky salesperson who took down the phone number of my next door neighbour suggested a sync speed of 17-18mbps, so I want to ensure I've got a nice shiney ADSL2+ line and master box to support that. And can I get him to install the filter-plate that I've ordered or will I have to do that myself once BT and Sky have done their bits?

Also, will the TV work straight away once it's installed next week or will it have to wait 'til the BT/SkyTalk line is working a week or so later? How does the TV box get connected to the master phone socket - is there is splitter thing to allow TV and phone to connect at same time?

thanks

JJ

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Switching from VM and some install questions

i think if there is a line in the house they will just activate it, have a word with the engineer about this though good to hear you are close to the exchange, should get the full 16mb out of your max package

the tv will start working before the broadband and phone, the tv cable will have a splitter on it which you must connect into the phone side of microfilter and then you connect the phone into the splitter

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Definately tap the engineer up before he even starts, tell him the old installation isn't in use as it didn't work properly so a new installation is needed and ply him with tea and biscuits.

Bufferz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Could you even damage the wiring "accidentally", so it would need replacing........In our old house, we moved to NTL from sky(I know, I know, but I was young and naive), and when the engineer came out and opened the box outside for the connection, the previous owner of the house had cut out all the wiring, so there was just a limp bit of co-ax hanging insde the box!!! He said it happens al the time....
      With SkyBB:

jmauk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canonbury
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

thanks for the tips, guys. i can see that the wire that comes through the window frame is all frayed anyway - it never worked very well when I was on BT -- crackling etc. - and they never got round to sorting it before I had CableLondon/Telewest/VM in.