Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Mid - speed issues - help apprec.

This is a discussion on Sky Mid - speed issues - help apprec. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been on Sky Mid for eons now - and for the longest time I had a stable connection at ...

trjp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blyth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky Mid - speed issues - help apprec.

I've been on Sky Mid for eons now - and for the longest time I had a stable connection at 8MBps and Speed Tests put me in the high 6Mbps's in actual thruput.

Last year we had a problem with line noise - resulting in noisy calls and ADSL disconnections when the phone was in-use - this resulted in BT (or assume it was BT) adjusting the max line speed to 6.5MBps.

The fault was eventually resolved to an underground cable which was replaced but I never bothered to get that 6.5MBps resolved to 8MBps as Sky's "Customer Support" insisted on going through the whole "connect to the master socket" palaver again and I cannot be bothered to move all my kit AGAIN - and anyway, realistically it wasn't any slower.

Thing is tho - the best results I can get from any Speed Test now are now under 4MBps - and this is supported by the 450shkbps download speeds I'm seeing (500kbps being 4Mbps). The router still connects at 6.5Mbps and that's the quoted speed of the line etc. etc. - so I'm assuming that's some sort of 'best Sky can provide' figure?

Thing is - at one point I was offered Sky Max with a "likely high top speed" - I'm 150m from the exhange (as the crow flies) and my neighbour has O2 ADSL2+ getting an 18Mbps connection on the same telegraph pole - so I'm a bit tee'd off that I'm not seeing a bit more than 4Mbps...

What's the best plan of action here?

Fighting the imbeciles on Sky Broadband first-line-support isn't appealing - it means unplugging all my kit and decamping downstairs with a screwdriver etc.

2. Advertisement
      Quik0706 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT23
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Mid - speed issues - help apprec.

Can you post up the router stats from the current position and/or test socket?

Thanks

Code:
      System Up Time 56:34:09
      Port 	Status 	        TxPkts 	RxPkts 	Collisions 	Tx B/s 	Rx B/s 	Up Time
      WAN 	PPPoA 	        5315531 	5767639 	0 	7362 	5886 	56:32:31
      LAN 	10M/100M 	6249042 	6290851 	0 	6003 	14387 	56:34:06
      WLAN 	11M/54M  	1112150 	689395 	0 	7061 	230 	56:33:59

ADSL Link 	Downstream 	Upstream
      Connection Speed 	6848 kbps 	288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 	11.0 db 	9.0 db
      Noise Margin 	16.7 db 	14.0 db
      Sorry about the dodgy formatting - test socket results are identical (the 6.5 is definately the speed of the line - check it with any ISP and they'll say 6.5 is the max I can get - cept O2 who claim 20Mb of course )

and this is a Sunday evening Speedtest - about typical tho...

I don't really mind - 4Mb is enough - but if it keeps dropping I'll have to take action as I do, from time to time, get LARGE files from clients (1-2Gb) and I don't have all day to wait for it to d/l em...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is definitely something wrong with your connection. As O2 say, you would easily get 20Mb with your attenuation and 16 Mb on Sky Max. Your upload speed looks a bit strange for a Mid connection, you are sure you are on Mid and not Connect?

If you are on Mid your noise margin shows you are capped and your line should take the full speed. If you have a Test socket. link below, try your stats from there. Your speed will not rise, but your noise margin may. If it does it shows your internal wiring is causing interference and you should try to fix this before phoning Sky. If there is little or no increase, phone Sky after 10.30 this evening and go through the procedure, you can tell them you have improved your wiring and would like the cap lifted.

If you are on Connect, it is a bit more complicated. You can check what you are on by signing into your MySky page and scrolling down to Broadband, Service Details, on the left side.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Check MySky - definately on Mid - will try the test socket when I feel upto dragging all the kit downstairs!

p.s. Checked on test socket - same Atten and NM (which hovers around 16/13 - the 14 above was a high point)

Wicked side of me is thinking of asking for a Max upgrade - and if it's no better, cancelling and going to O2 tbh...
      Last edited by trjp; 18-05-09 at 12:43 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You should see the full 16mb on Max, the upgrade should put DLM back on the line so hopefully that will sort out the problem, if not a call to CST should do it.

Thanks

The thing is I have a 6.5Mbps connection but I cannot get even 4Mbps out of it (several speed tests all confirm high 3mbps speeds) so even if I could get a faster connection - how do I know that I'll still not be stuck with 4Mbps or less anyway???

Surely the fact my 6.5 connection only manages 4 is down to Sky throttling or otherwise limiting the service?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you've got a throughput issue - if you're sync is 6.5Mbps you should download at that (give or take half a meg)...Sky do NOT throttle on any of their LLU services...

you using wireless?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Surely the fact my 6.5 connection only manages 4 is down to Sky throttling or otherwise limiting the service?
      As mentioned, Sky do not throttle their LLU connections, you should be able to download at 85-90% of your sync speed. If you are not getting this then something is wrong with your setup. For a start, if you are not running Vista or better, download and run TCPOptimiser, link below. Set 8000kbps as your speed and opt for the automatic option.

With regards your sync speed all you can do is phone Sky and ask them to trouble-shoot your speed. You have enough noise margin to give you the full 8Mb easily. It is really going to depend on getting a decent Tier 1 agent who will pass you through to CST without too much prevaricating. Once there you should get fixed up fairly quickly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

TCPOptimiser fiddled with some settings and I can now get high 4's (4.8Mbps avg) which is another 1Mbps so thanks for that tip.

I'd forgotten that I'd changed some values to max-out my ping for online gaming - and there was a suggestion it could reduce overall DL speed.

The peak speed is 80% of 6.5Mbps tho which still seems a bit low...

Still - we're getting there - thx again!

p.s. I reversed all the ping maxxing stuff and am seeing over 5Mbps on speedtest.net and 5.8Mbps on broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk so thats better again!
      Last edited by trjp; 18-05-09 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast