Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky MAC code procedure?

This is a discussion on Sky MAC code procedure? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, been trying to change over to O2 for a couple of months now, due to it being half ...

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky MAC code procedure?

Hi all, been trying to change over to O2 for a couple of months now, due to it being half the price and double the speed in my area. Various exchange issues (BT have me listed on wrong one since updates over a year ago!!) have meant hold-ups and I've had to apply for a MAC code for the second time...

First time, never received the letter with code despite it being law (as far as I know, at least is OFCOM's rule) to get it within 5 days. Had to call after about 10 days where I was offered the code over the phone, why I was not allowed to do this earlier I don't know. Now on 2nd attempt as exchange issue is sorted (original MAC code expired) and I've not had the letter after 5 days again, yet I did get a letter a couple of days back saying "sorry to hear you're cancelling, cut off date is 6th June, you will need a MAC code to go to a new supplier, you will have to contact us for this..." or words to that effect. My call didn't even mention cancelling as such, just asked for my MAC code.

A co-worker in my office has had similar problems, had the cut-off letter and has now been told she can't have a MAC Code and will have to wait till 2 weeks after the cut off for her line to clear...

Are Sky purposely being obtrusive on this?? If they are supposed to abide by Ofcom regulations why don't they?

Incidentally the reason for the changeover is that my original account was a mid package at 5 per month, now has gone up to "connect" at 17 per month as Sky "is not available in my area" - how this happened I don't know, Sky denied it was possible until further investigation where it turned out I was right - possibly the exchange issue. This is in combination with Sky, a few months back changing my line profile to 500k and having declined to offer me any sort of compensation or credit for the 15 of phone calls I had to make to sort... O2's free UK support seems far more preferable.

Just a mixture of a rant and dissatisfaction with Sky's sloppy service, lack of will to keep me as a customer or offer compensation for my costs incurred due to their incompetence, and actually obstructive procedures when trying to leave their service. (no attempt was made to try and keep me as a customer in any calls I made). I just hope I get a MAC code on my next (expensive) call to Sky later today... Thanks for help in the past on these forums, all has been much appreciated!

Jim.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky MAC code procedure?

complain to OFCOM, somebody at Sky seems to be unable or unwilling to follow the procedures and this needs to be sorted out by Sky.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

FFS - 3 calls to Sky later, they give me my old (out of date) MAC code, I calI O2 (freephone) and they tell me it's the old code, try it anyway and it doesn't work - spend 15 mins (Premium rate of course) getting back through to someone in the Broadband disconnections department at Sky - explain my details yet again and that I have been given the OLD code, they tell me they'll send me a new one within 5 days - I say I asked for that last week, I don't want to be waiting until I am cut off, the lady says she'll check and just put me on hold while they find out - call disconnected! Jesus this sort of "service" should be fined by OFCOM big-time. Why do I have to pay them for these calls? Why can't I get this money back because it's going to take another 15 minute call to get me to the same stage again, possibly to be cut off again... Well and truly p***ed off with em now.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well it seems one wasn't sent last week, they'll now send me one within 5 working days...

Great.

I got understandably shirty with the operator, saying "what do I do if I don't get it within 5 days like the last 2 times?" - "Nothing you can do sir, just have to call us again..." Really? That's fantastic. Great news.

I'll call OFCOM now, not that they will be able to help or get the money back for all the calls to Sky - I'm not exactly hard up, but have principals about paying useless people for no service. Surely there's a way to stop this sort of thing.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OFCOM have passed the complaint on to Sky's high level complaints department and they will give me a call within 5 days or OFCOM will lay the smack down. Good service from them at least

sky_nightmare is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191 522
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Jimrod this is EXACTLY the same shoddy service that I have experienced with these SKY cowboys.
      My account is now pending cancellations and today I was told by a little Filipino lady MANDY that I would have to wait a further 24 days for my attachment to the the dispicable SVBN to clear and for me to find another ISP or copper wire pnone line provider.
      I have fibre optic right up to my house but Virgin are as bad as Sky. So I will not be phoning them as an alternative.
      Sky have now switched off our viewing card so that is that and they are coming to remove their hardware on Monday next.
      I will gladly await the terminate of my association as a BSkyB customer, but right now I am completely in the dark and god only knows when Sky will cease my phone line and BB [904Kbs] service -- Does anyone know the procedure that Sky/SVBN follow???

NOT A HAPPY CHAPPY with Christmas just around the corner and all that jazz
      Last edited by sky_nightmare; 18-12-09 at 08:54 PM. Reason: modifying