Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No bill, "What to do ??"

This is a discussion on No bill, "What to do ??" within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After I joined Sky broadband quite while back, I noticed they weren't billing me for broadband Well after a few ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No bill, "What to do ??"

After I joined Sky broadband quite while back, I noticed they weren't billing me for broadband Well after a few months I started to get a bit worried so I rang them "Yeah Yeah we will sort out" a few more months went by no bill, well I reckon I rang them seven times over a period of a quite a few months! still no bill. So I gave up in the end, there problem I thought.
      I had too ring them today about something else, so brought the subject up again "nope your not with us" your broadband was cancelled in 2006 they say. Checked the exchange etc etc etc, 45 minutes I was on the phone and they are convinced I have connected to neighbours network by accident because my Sky broadand was definately cancelled in 2006.
      I am now feeling somewhat guilty about using the service for nothing, should I be or should I just forget about it? I dont know what else to do.
      I am worried that if I just request a new broadand account I will end up with no service for weeks while they sort this mess out

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: No bill, "What to do ??"

disconnect your sky router from the telephone line, then try to go online. if you can get online, your not using your router to connect.

if you cannot get online, then you have sky broadband, and there has been a system error

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      if you cannot get online, then you have sky broadband, and there has been a system error
      He has a Sky Broadband IP address.

I have heard that it is possible to be connected to Sky and not be known to by Sky. I think it is to do with the port that you are physically connected on. If you have had Sky in the past and then been disconnected for whatever reason, BT no longer go to the exchange to disconnect you.

Until your port is required by another user, then BT will not physically change the cabling that your connection is using. However, if Sky instruct BT to connect Joe Bloggs on your port number, then you would find that you do become disconnected.

You have clearly made the effort to notify Sky that you are using their broadband service, however, until the above happens, then you don't exist according to Sky's systems. Not a lot you can do.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      He has a Sky Broadband IP address.

I have heard that it is possible to be connected to Sky and not be known to by Sky. I think it is to do with the port that you are physically connected on. If you have had Sky in the past and then been disconnected for whatever reason, BT no longer go to the exchange to disconnect you.

Until your port is required by another user, then BT will not physically change the cabling that your connection is using. However, if Sky instruct BT to connect Joe Bloggs on your port number, then you would find that you do become disconnected.

You have clearly made the effort to notify Sky that you are using their broadband service, however, until the above happens, then you don't exist according to Sky's systems. Not a lot you can do.
      well it has been known for this to happen. We use a system called Penfold, which should keep track of all broadband orders past and present. Sometimes your Sky Profile will show as cancelled, but Penfold will show it as active, which means they have to fix your Sky profile to match.

If you are shown as cancelled in Penfold, 99999 times out of 100000 you are cancelled. Yet, as NR said, it can be wrong from time to time.

However, just because they have a Sky IP, does not mean they are with Sky. If they are connecting to a neighbours Sky service, they will also have a Sky IP. Thats why I suggested disconnecting their own Sky router, to see if it is a mistake or not

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

However, just because they have a Sky IP, does not mean they are with Sky. If they are connecting to a neighbours Sky service, they will also have a Sky IP. Thats why I suggested disconnecting their own Sky router, to see if it is a mistake or not
      This is assumining Koala is connecting wirelessly.
      If it is an error as suggested there shouldnt be a delay in setting up a new account as there dosent appear to be one on the line.
      I guess Koala has done enough to inform Sky of the situation and now has to decide whether to continue getting bb for free until someone notices or put things in writing to rectify the situation.

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My neighbor has been using sky for well over a year without paying. He changed from talk talk to sky and Sky say that talk talk/bt wouldn't let them connect but he has a Sky modem he brought from a car boot sale that works on sky max. We must have phoned them about 15-20 times and even told them the server address we were connected to and everything, but they just say your not with us. the last call I said so we are getting FREE sky broadband and they said your not connected with us, and i said thanks for the FREE broadband.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We are definately connected to Sky, 1: because we have one computer in the house which is hardwired to the router and working fine, 2: I have had a few disconnections lately and if I go in the router menu the I can see the disconnections in the logs. 3: when I do an on line speedtest it says my provider is easynet. 4: If I pull the plug out it stops working.
      It was funny on the phone yesterday, the women spoke to me as if I was short of a few brain cells! "I can assure you sir you dont have broadband with us" it was the "computer says no" syndrome.
      Think I'm gonna leave it until it packs up, now the prices have gone up I was just worried about getting wolloped with a big bill If they back dated the bill now then I would owe them 150 to date, but I guess if they insist I dont exist then hopefully they will have no way of backdated the bill.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you are worried about having to pay a big bill in the future, put your subscription amount into a deposit account paying as much interest as you can get (~3%). Then, if Sky ever does bill you, you can pay it and pocket the interest.

However, it will probably be a bit difficult for Sky to bill you for pact connection because, as they say, they have no record of you being connected.

Regards,

Felix

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I can confirm that I too have been subject to the exact same scenario.

For 10 days, I did not have broadband with Sky, (I did really) or so they said, repeatedly. I do now however have Sky Broadband, but I got away without paying for 10 days, as their computers said "No - he doesn't have broadband"

There appears to be a glitch in the circumstances that I mentioned above, and it would appear that Sky are either not aware, or have completely failed to act on the information, given to them by those who have had this glitch.

I know of at least 3 people so far who have had this invisible Broadband, granted 3 is not a lot, but that's 540 a year that Sky could be potentially losing. Provided of course that they are on Max and they have not got Sky Talk.

I would hazard a guess and say that there are quite a few people getting absolutely free of charge broadband. Just some will be keeping it quiet.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      If they back dated the bill now then I would owe them 150 to date, but I guess if they insist I dont exist then hopefully they will have no way of backdated the bill.
      If Sky do send you a backdated bill, they would have to come to a payment agreement that suits you to recover the monies owed. You have done everything possible to inform them of their error, but they are refusing to listen to you, or if they are listening, completely refusing to act on the information.