Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet Problems with PC and Sky Max

This is a discussion on Internet Problems with PC and Sky Max within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have been on sky for a couple of years now, no problem whatsoever in that time until about ...

jock23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Internet Problems with PC and Sky Max

Hi, I have been on sky for a couple of years now, no problem whatsoever in that time until about 3/4 weeks ago, culiminating in this morning/last night.

This morning, my PC will not load any webpages at all, not even the router stats. Its says it is connected to the router fine but no loading at all. My laptop however is fine, both are connected to the router wirelessly.

I had been messing about with static IP addresses for the pc to use with bittorrent but even with taking them out it still isn't working. My PS3 (wired connection) has also been crap recently but having a search about makes me realise I am not alone in this, so should have that sorted today.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have been having problems with the routers (i) light flashing yellow on occasions, phoned sky up and they said it was a BT exchange problem, but that isn't happening in this occasion.

Thanks for any help given

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Internet Problems with PC and Sky Max

If your laptop and PS3 are able to use the connection then it has to be something you've changed on the PC.

Set all the IP options to DHCP (obtain automatically), clear any existing wireless profiles, restart the PC and then re-setup the wireless, ensure you get an IP from the router.

Thanks

Well I have just updated my belkin driver for my wireless card and despite it having fits at first (was connecting to router then disconnecting straight away) I have reset my pc and it seems ok just now.

Annoying thing is that my pc connection now says Wireless Connection 4 next to it, anyone know how I can get rid of the 4? I know its purely cosmetic, but I hate things like that!!!

Thanks

well I am still having major problems, everytime i reset my pc and turn it back on the wireless just will not connect. It attempts it then disconnects straight away, constantly doing that. I can force it to work by turning off and on the windows settings but apart from that nothing.

Could it be a problem with my belkin card? I have never had problems with it before, but it is 3 years old??

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is it the navy belkin adapter? I have one myself and have had the same problem on an XP desktop with the belkin wireless utility taking priority for configuring the wireless network rather than windows itself. If you're on xp, make sure you've tried the following:

start > run > services.msc > right click 'wireless zero configuration' > properties

In properties make sure you set the startup type to automatic and also start the process if it isn't already. If it is started, stop it and restart it. If you can apply (usually you can't) then apply and click ok.

On the belkin wireless utility, make sure you select to use windows to configure the wireless network.

Go to view available wireless networks and then change advanced settings in the bottom left. Go to 'wireless networks' tab and then check the first box and also delete any preferred networks listed at the bottom. Click ok.

Restart the pc and connect to the network via the usual window's 'connect to a network' protocol and see if that sorts it out.

Thanks

nope, tried all of that and it still comes up with the same issue. As soon as I disconnect from the network (whether i do it manually or by resetting the pc) when it tries to connect again it just disconnects and reconnects constantly. Only way i can get it to stick is by turning the windows control thing off, then on again.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Personally, I'd reinstall the belkin software/adapter. If that fails, then I'd just buy another adapter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This quite a common problem with Vista, It is caused by Vista checking for networks every 60 secs and in doing so it drops the existing connection. It does not seem to happen with all adapters. Try downloading and running this application, it may help.
      Downloads

It is a German site, but when you are getting something for nothing, who cares. There is an English set up for it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.