Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unusable broadband past 5.30PM - 6PM daily

This is a discussion on Unusable broadband past 5.30PM - 6PM daily within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by h3dg3h0g When I phone them on monday and put my case forward, what chance do you think ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Unusable broadband past 5.30PM - 6PM daily

Quote Originally Posted by h3dg3h0g View Post
      When I phone them on monday and put my case forward, what chance do you think that anything will be done?
      No chance

Also, does anyone think these ISPs are going to change anytime soon?
      It seems almost illegal to me what they do. They advertise a service that almost never performs upto standard, does reliable internet actually exist?
      Yes but at a sustainable cost which for 40gb download will be 30+

I can't think of many other products/services that perform this trick as much as ISPs. So often I hear/read about people complaining about their ISPs...
      ISP's who use BT's equipment are in a no win situation, people want broadband cheap but they also want to download the entire internet. As the ISP's have to pay for capacity, they must limit it otherwise they wouldn't stay in business long. The trick is finding the right balance, some do a better job than others, Zen, Plusnet, IdNet to name a few but they do it by being realistic with the price. You cannot pay peanuts and expect the best service.

I hope they improve soon
      Don't we all, but until the wholesale price changes, they won't, the only option would be to increase the prices to allow for more capacity.

2. Advertisement
      h3dg3h0g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whimple
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The root of these problems then is BT.
      Am I right in thinking other countries have it much better than us? I've heard reports of people able to download an entire 700MB movie in a minute over in France.

Surely things are going to improve though?

BT's equipment is outdated and it's time for an upgrade!

One more question by the way. Are there some specific guidelines to follow if I don't want to be limited the way I am?
      I checked out plusnet broadband and they had this great table showing the limiting at different times and for different uses. (So for instance Peer to Peer is limited more and more throughout the day until midnight where it is restored back to Maximum)

I'm guessing Sky havn't produced one themselves as it'll expose them as the frauds they are, but has anyone else produced one?

Thanks again for the replies, I think this'll be my last question

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky aren't fruads, they've made it clear they traffic shape - the problem is how the implement it...

basically, anything that streams (video, audio) will get hit, as will users who go over roughly 1.4GB during peak hours...you can do as much as you like during off-peak times (until you hit your monthly limit, then it's slow down time!!)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

>>>>>One more question by the way. Are there some specific guidelines to follow if I don't want to be limited the way I am?<<<<<

Specific guidelines have run their course here.

It has been explained to you over and over again, the answer is simple, leave Sky Connect and choose a decent ISP that doesn't throttle, like NewNet or IDNet.

This information has been repeated time and time again, for you, it is 'make your mind up time', either stay with Sky Connect and suffer poor connection after 5pm each evening or change ISP....your choice! .... SIMPLES!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

The root of these problems then is BT.
      No, Sky are the problem, they could pay for more capacity or kick the heavy downloaders off the package but they won't.

Why?

1 - Because they don't want to spend more money susbsidising a package that is making little profit

2 - Because these "heavy downloaders" are also taking other packages, TV at the very least and they don't want to annoy them into leaving that as there is more profit in the TV side.

Honestly, your only option is to either put up with it or leave!!!
      No amount of questions will change the facts.

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Honestly, your only option is to either put up with it or leave!!!
      No amount of questions will change the facts.
      Exactly Smithy99! Hopefully the penny will drop soon!

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

h3dg3h0g
      Hi as yunorisson say`s Smithy99 explained the problem exactly and thats it until Sky can come up with an alternative until then nothing is going to change

MrFahrenheit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi there,

Let me tell you of my experience of SKY broadband services.

It all started in june of 2008 when I was tempted away from my 25/month BT broadband service by SKY's 5 a month offer for its mid package.

This package promised upto 8mb speeds and 40 gigs of bandwidth the same as I was getting with BT, and to be honest it was a great deal, whereas previously with BT I was getting 4.5mb/s download speeds, SKY gave me 5.5mb/s.

Whats more, I have a wife that's addicted to Ebay and 2 kids with an penchant for xbox live.
      Both kids also have laptops, we have a media pc under the TV and I do enjoy a spot of online gaming myself on my uber expensive alienware PC, so you can imagine that the 40gig limit was used up pretty quickly.... and more often than not was exceeded (prolly by more than double on most months) but SKY didnt care and they didnt so much as send me an email complaining about it either.

Earlier this year SKY sent a letter stating that the price of this package would be increased to 10 a month, but to be honest I wasnt really bothered as it was such a great package for the money.

A month ago SKY sent me another letter telling me if I started to pay my bill via direct debit I could save 5 a month on our combined TV/broadband/phone bill, now......thinking that I could save some cash I grabbed this opertunity with both hands.
      so with much haste I picked up the phone and called SKY and gave them my bank details, setup the direct debit, and all was well with the world.

well...kinda......for about a week.

Because one morning I awoke to find the internet was off, thinking it was a line fault I decided to goto work and thought it would probibly sort out itself.
      however when I got home to my screaming discruntled internet-less family I realised there must be some other problem, so I gave my good friends at sky a call to find out what was up.

Strangely at first SKY had no record of us ever even having broadband supplied by them, after I assured them that we did, I was then told that our broadband was cancelled at the customers request.
      I asked the nice indian chap if he could see who it was that had cancelled the broadband and explained that I was the account holder and that I hadnt cancelled anything.
      After several minutes of furious typing sounds he came to the conclusion that when we had switched our payment method to direct debit the computer system had made an error and had cancelled the broadband by mistake.

I laughed heartily at such musings, before politely asking for the service to be resumed.
      The nice indian chap got right to it, and then proceeded to quell my laughter with a 30 reconnection charge.

After several minutes of polite arguing I conceeded and whipped out my creditcard, paid the "debt" and was told my broadband would be reconnected within 10 days.

Less than 24 hours later and the kids reported to me that the internets were back on, and all was happy with the world....again.

Well for about a day this time....

The speeds we were reciveing during the day were down to around 2.5mb/s and at around 5pm they were down to around 0.2mb/s.
      A swift call to sky (35mins) told us that the line was going through some kind of training which would take around 10 days and the speeds would pick up again after that.

2 weeks on and our daytime speeds are around 2mb/s (a third of what they should be) and at nights they are still 0.2mb/s from 5pm till midnight.

I called SKY yesterday and was told that there is no space for me at my local exchange (it mysteriously filled up in the 24hours our broadband was disconnected) and that we are now on SKY connect.
      I asked for a MAC code, they spat their dummy out and stated that I am on a 18 month contract and cannot break it.
      After I spoke to a manager I got my MAC code and the broadband package is being cancelled as soon as BT take over the line......

Ohh and the TV/phone package is to follow soon too.

So theres 70 a month they wont be getting any longer!

But thank you SKY it was fun while it lasted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123