Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is This Right?

This is a discussion on Is This Right? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I recently joined Sky since I moved house and I found that it had the best price for what ...

Luke_L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is This Right?

Hello,
      I recently joined Sky since I moved house and I found that it had the best price for what I was looking for. I've got the Sky Base package and up to now it has been great!

But now i've run into some problems,
      I should be getting 2MB Downstream and I have for the last few weeks, but recently it dropped to 1MB, and now it has dropped to 511 kbps, I have the fear that I could of been cut off due to downloading too much but I thought they'd put it back up at the start of the new month? I'm not certain that i've downloaded too much but I have that wonder, The stats are the same when in and when not in the test socket so that can't be the problem.

I thought that the Line Attenuation should be around 20DB and noise at around 10DB? I can't remember what I had before but i'm sure it wasn't this high!
      If you need any more information just ask me and tell me how to get it.
      Any help would be appreciated.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 511 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 db 33.6 db
      Noise Margin 17.8 db 20.0 db

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 511 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 412 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Is This Right?

It's probably nothing to do with your downloading - Sky would write to you pointing out you are vastly over stepping the agreed monthly download limit. So I guess it's something else. Others are better qualified than me to analyse your Stats and I'll leave that to them!

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your heavily capped, By the looks of those stats, also On ADSL2+.

Also sky are not capping people down if they go over the limit (Well LLU), DLM Maybe playing with your connection.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's likely that DLM has noticed your line was unstable (cutting out and/or droppng cells) and has reduced the line speed as well as changing other line settings to compensate.

Was your line setup differently in the first 10 days (i.e. have you just moved the router?) as the stats you have posted are good. If you have, then DLM should notice the quality improvement and start to up your speed again sometime. If not then you may be better off calling Sky and having CST manually reprofile the line. Do remember though that DLM doesn't just chop 'n change for the fun of it, there is usually, or has been an underlying problem.

Your line attenuation and noise margin will be different than before as you have moved house, probably further away from the telephone exchange, this means that your line quality isn't as good as you had before.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_L View Post

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 511 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.5 db 33.6 db
      Noise Margin 17.8 db 20.0 db

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 511 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 412 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38
      Hi Luke. You are capped as mentioned above.
      If you phone sky, ask them to pass you to CST to get the Cap lifted. You will be able to get 2mb no problems.

Good luck!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you in the habit of switching off the router when you are not using it? This might account for the cap being applied when your figures look so good.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tisy0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

I'm less than a mile away from the Exchange, so I figured it couldn't be that, I leave the router on 12-15 hours a day and switch it off overnight, I've had problems with the line before when they cross-switched it due to some problem they made, I had my router plugged in downstairs into a micro filter into the double port thing that plugs into the socket on the wall, now i've extended it upstairs, it worked for a week or 2 and now i'm getting problems, I think it could be due to the fact that it halfed my speed when I plugged my PS3 AND computer into it, and then i added another computer to it and its basically halfed again, but after I took all the cables out of it and reset the whole modem, settings etc.. it shows only 1 attached device (this computer) and it is still at 511kbps, i'll have to give them a ring later.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@Tisy0
      I don't quite know why you have posted in this thread instead of starting your own, but no matter.
      Firstly you should leave your router running 24/7 or the disconnections may be seen as a fault.
      Secondly, the filter must be plugged into the socket first, then the 2 way splitter plugs into it. I would say this is at the root of your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Luke_L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sorry I didn't notice, That's my fathers account, I thought it was logged into this one, anyways.. Is it totally necessary to leave it on 24/7 because I've never had to do that before, and when your talking about the splitters are you trying to say that
      I should have the Filter(Modem/phone) connected to the wall socket, and then I should have the 2 way splitter into that?, Because I have a phone upstairs, and downstairs, and I have another filter upstairs so I can plug it into that, Could this be the fault?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Every socket that is in use must have a filter connected to it before ANYTHING else, then you can put the two way splitter or anything else into the phone side of the filter without it affecting the router connection.

You must filter ALL sockets in the house that have anything else connected, even if the router is not connected there the phone/fax/alarm etc must still be via a filter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast