Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Speeds Suddenly dropped?

This is a discussion on Speeds Suddenly dropped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've checked all over the house and I can't seem to find a test line like described, it's not on ...

Mousti is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Killinchy
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Speeds Suddenly dropped?

I've checked all over the house and I can't seem to find a test line like described, it's not on my main line or anything.

I did check in my office though, there was an old BT Digital Line which we used be before Broadband was available around here. It had a test socket, but I'd stopped the service quite a few years ago. I tried it regardless and it didn't work.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Similarly, I did a test on that BT Speedtester thing via that FAQ link you provided me.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 3456 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 217 kbps

Was my results from the main line via ethernet.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The problem is your line profile, it looks like BT may have you setup on the wrong package.

You need to ring Sky and get put through to CST so they can instruct BT to alter it.

Thanks

I phoned up Sky about 15 minutes ago and the girl suggested I try scanning my computer for viruses in case it was hogging the network. When I explained to her it was affecting other devices such as my iPhone or PS3 even when the computer was turned off she didn't give me a proper answer.

I've been waiting for about 10 minutes in the queue line for customer support now =/

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You could be waiting for upto an hour it's hard to say.

If you get fed up, you could try again after 10:30pm, there is more chance of CST actually being the first person who answers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will have to get through to CST and ask them if they can get BT to check your line. There is definitely something wrong. Apart from the fact that your Profile is way below your sync, your sync itself is far too low. They will probably want to send you another router first which I think is a waste of time. You are on the correct package, that is not the problem.
      Can you do a quiet line test by dialing 17070 option 2 and listening. There should be no crackles or loud hums on your line, it should be almost silent. If there is noise report it to your telephone provider as noise on your line, ie, whoever you pay the rental too. Do not mention broadband or your complaint will be ignored.

If you have extensions it would be in your interests to fit an NTE5a socket with and ADSL filter-plate. It is the only way you can separate external from internal problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Alright, I managed to get through to a CST and he told me that I should keep the router plugged into my main socket for 72 hours to make sure I get the best profile on it and my speed should return.

However, I have always had my router plugged in via my extension and I was wondering why one day it suddenly decides to stop working and I have to move it to my main socket (which is fairly inaccessible and far away from where I would normally work). The guy at the CST simply said that it was because the extension line was "unpredictable" and that there was no way to fix this problem other than either getting the main moved there (160? No thanks) or keeping the router in the main line for 72 hours.

He didn't really answer my question as to why it's been able to work relatively fine for the last 7 months or so and then one day it decides to stop working.

I've been using Broadband for 2 years + on the same socket.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mousti View Post
      I've been using Broadband for 2 years + on the same socket.
      I don't wan tto sound sarky, BUT, it sounds as if you're saying that because it's worked for 2 years then it should continue to work. By that logic, your phone line and all the exchange equipment can't possibly be faulty because they've been fine for the past 2+ years too (etc...).

To give some actual help now...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mousti
      Your DSL connection rate: 3456 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
      This shows that your line rate has been limited by BT's DLM system (NOT Sky's), most likely because they have noticed it being intermittent or an increase in dropped cells. It isn't because you use it too much or any of that waffle.
      The way BT's DLM system works is that over 72hrs if it sees that the line is now OK, the line rate will be increased. This is why the CST agent advised you to connect to the main socket (to show BT a good connection).

The problem is that we don't know exactly what caused BT's DLM system to drop the line rate. It could be your extension, it could be a bad jouint on the line, it could be 10 other things. The first and easiest thing to rule out is the extension you've got it plugged into. If the speed drops again once you're back in it then you've found your problem.

Isitme makes some excellent and worthwhile suggestions about quiet line test and upgrading your internal wiring (it may even improve your sync speed too).

Thanks

I did what the CST said to change the profile and I plugged the router in to the main socket. A few hours later and it's back to normal speeds.

I understand that things do break down it's just a tad irritating when you don't know why and no proper solution is provided.

I tried the quiet line test and admittedly there were some noise and a hum in the background, it's always been like this, but I'll report it to BT later today.

If I could ask finally if Wireless Repeaters will have any negative effect on my speed? My main socket is placed a fair bit away from my office etc and it's currently on the edge of the wireless range so it's dropping in connection every now and again (and yes, I've put the router up fairly high).

Thanks for the help guys.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have extensions, can you post your stats from the Test socket, link below, if you have one.

Wireless will drop your download speed, although it will not effect your sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast