Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should I be getting any better speeds?

This is a discussion on Should I be getting any better speeds? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You will eventually be moved to ADSL2+ which should give you a bit more, if it likes your line....

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Should I be getting any better speeds?

You will eventually be moved to ADSL2+ which should give you a bit more, if it likes your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      tinyian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVAIN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Email I got from Sky today:

Dear Mr Miller,

Thank you for your reply.

After checking your connection I would like to inform you that your downstream speed is 8096Kbps (8Mb) which is 3Mb more than we estimate your telephone line can support. If you are an online gamer it will be better for you to have a more stable connection, this can be arranged by reducing your downstream speed by 2Mb. I have also arranged for your Max Delay Levels to reduced to 8.

If you would like us to try and stabilise your connection by reducing your downstream speed please let us know by replying to this email.

Needless to say I won't be replying to the email to get a reduced speed!!!!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Anyone looking at your stats knows that that email is complete rubbish. Their "estimate", which I would point out is completely unnecessary as the line is connected, is based on outdated figures. Your existing figures show that your line is capable of speeds of more than 8Mb, not the 5Mb they "estimate". Like many more you are being fobbed off by someone who does not know what they are doing or is just too lazy to do it properly.
      Last edited by Isitme; 01-05-09 at 10:31 PM. Reason: grammer!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tinyian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVAIN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Anyone looking at your stats knows that that email is complete rubbish. Their "estimate", which I would point out is completely unnecessary as the line is connected, is based on outdated figures. Your existing figures show that your line is capable of speeds of more than 8Mb, not the 5Mb they "estimate". Like many more you are being fobbed off by someone who does not know what they are doing or are just too lazy to do it properly.
      I thought as much! Thanks for the confirmation!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12