Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

This is a discussion on Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm currently having a big problem with my SkyBB Max package. Last Thursday afternoon I got disconnected for ...

Squirelly666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leyland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Angry Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

Hi All,

I'm currently having a big problem with my SkyBB Max package. Last Thursday afternoon I got disconnected for a couple of minutes, and ever since then the connection has been unusable.

Up until the disconnect on Thursday my connection has always been syncing at 2800 download, 650 upload. Since this disconnect it will not sync at any faster than 1800/550. Also the connection is now unusable. I did some tests (using Firebug) and just downloading the firefox/google homepage took over 7 minutes, and most other sites it timesout long before downloading the entire page. I managed to get onto speedtest.net once and it gave me results of 0.12Mbps down/0.45Mbps up.

I left it alone a bit, to see if it would sort itself out, but as it was no different I reported the fault to Sky on Friday lunchtime. After going through a lot of stuff with them (unplugged extensions, plug router into test socket etc.) I got escalated to their 'Customer Solutions Team' who ran some tests on my line.

On Friday I spoke to a guy there who said that there were a lot of 'errors' on my line, and he would push the issue up to the 'escalation team' who would arrange an engineer visit to the exchange on Sat/Sun and when this visit happened I would get a call from said engineer to let me know whats going on.

Well the weekend passed with no contact, so Monday lunchtime I contact Sky again and end up speaking to someone else in the 'Customer Solutions Team', as I hadn't heard from the 'escalation team' within the prescribed 72 hour timeframe, he forwarded me through to that team to speak to them directly. After about 20 minutes on hold, waiting to get through, I finally got to speak to a member of the 'escalation team'.

He firstly confirms there has been no engineer visit to the exchange, and looked at the stats for my line. After doing this he states that the stats for my line (5km from exchange, 63db Att) show that my line will not support faster than 1500 upload, and he sounded like he didn't believe that I'd been getting 2800 out of it for almost 2 years, with 2 different ISP's (Pipex then Sky). He then claimed it would be pointless booking an engineer visit, as he would look at the stats and come to the same conclusion. He is now sending me a replacement router (despite the fact that I assured him mine has never been any problem) to, as he put it, eliminate any problems at my end. He even said, more than once, he doesn't know how they are going to solve this!!!

He didn't address any of the poor performance issues I am having with the line, and seemed to be more preoccupied with convincing me that my connection is not going to get any faster, than he was in actually resolving my issue. He did mention the 'errors' on the line that the previous support person had mentioned, but seemed to dismiss them as 'errors are quite common on lines as long as yours'.

I've been without my broadband for over 5 days now, and as they will now do nothing else with the issue until after this replacement router arrives (3-5 day delivery time) I'm going to be looking at over a week before they've even established that the problem exists, never mind resolving it.

I'm currently using a 3G dongle, to give me basic web/email access, but as I work from home I can't continue much longer without some sort of broadband access.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to deal with this? This is the first time I've had to contact them about any problems, Are Sky normally this dismissive of issues?

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

Can you post your stats from the router.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Usually Sky will not send out BT until they have swapped the router, unless there is an obvious line error.

Have you swapped filteres etc?

Do you have a test socket? if so get the router stats from here, it will indicate if and where the fault is.

Is the internet light lit on the router?

Are you connected wirelessly? if so try a wire.

Thanks

Stats from router at the moment are:

PHP Code:
      Router Statistics
      System Up Time
      22:35:39
      Port     Status     TxPkts     RxPkts     Collisions     Tx B
      /s     Rx B/s     Up Time
      WAN      PPPoA       3318        2468       0            4          7          22
      :34:30
      LAN      100M
      /Full  31059       61484       0            34         380        22:35:34
      WLAN     11M
      /54M    60510       29007       0            380        27         22:35:23

ADSL Link            Downstream       Upstream
      Connection Speed     1856 kbps         544 kbps
      Line Attenuation     62 db              31 db
      Noise Margin         9 db                7 db 
      I've tried a number of filters, filtered master socket, test socket, different modem cables, ethernet connection, wireless connection etc. and no change makes any difference to the numbers above, or the poor performance of the line.

All lights on router are the same as before this happened. I have 8 PC's, and 6 other devices (DVD players, consoles etc.) on my network and all of them are getting the same sort of poor performance, and even with them all turned off and one laptop connected directly to the router via ethernet cable that machine still can't access any internet sites, they time out long before they have completed downloading. Pings to major sites such as google.co.uk, microsoft.com, apple.com etc. all seem to be ok (70-120ms range) but download speeds are just non-existent.

I live on a fairly new development (my house is 2 years old) and there is a lot of building work going on in the area. I'm sure somebody's messed something up (they were doing a lot of road/drain digging last week) but I guess I have to jump through all these hoops first before someone will come and look at the line itself.

Could this type of thing be caused by damage to the underground cabling etc.? My phone line seems ok.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that's about right for your line, possible get 2Mbps but not a lot else...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      that's about right for your line, possible get 2Mbps but not a lot else...
      Thats part of the problem though. I don't have my stats for the line as it was before last week, the only thing I know for sure is that it was getting 2800 rock solid, and had been since it was first hooked up by BT in May 2007. Now of course, Sky probably won't bother trying to get my full capacity back, as they don't seem to keep records of what the stats of a line was previously, just what it currently is, and as such seem to not believe me when I say I've been getting 2.8Mbps forever.

Then again, at the moment, 2Mbps wouldn't be to bad, if it worked. I've just done another timing, and it has just taken firefox 14 minutes to load it's homepage, it took it 12 minutes to download the firefox logo??? How the hell they can say there seems to be nothing wrong is beyond me!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you were getting 2800 before then it looks like you are correct in thinking your line has been damaged in some way. As Sky have said, your present attenuation would not support this speed. Unfortunately if you have a connection at all, it will be very difficult to get it fixed, unless you have noise interference on your voice line.

That said, with your present sync speed you should be able to browse without any difficulty so something else is slowing your connection. If you are not running a Mac, Vista or Win7, download and run TCPOptimiser, link below. Select 8000kbps for your speed and elect to have it optimised automatically.

You might also want to open a command prompt and run netstat /b. Check if you have any strange looking entries which may be malware using your connection. It may be as well to check your wireless connections to make sure no one is piggybacking your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

candlestickchimney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Was your old connection with BT ADSL2? My old Zen connection was rock solid at 6.5Mb on ADSL but when I moved onto LLU with Sky Max my speeds dropped to 4.5Mb and when I phoned Sky they told me that was all the line was capable of (which was right)!!??

What I hadn't realised that an ADSL2 connection needs a quieter line, so after a bit of jiggery pokery on my line on the advice of a few members here, I improved my noise margin, phoned Sky back up and I am now hitting around 12Mb.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am now having another thought. Sky seem to be moving a lot of lines to ADSL2+ whether they can take it or not. I think this may be what has happened to the OPs line. An attenuation of 62 would not support 2800, but one of 59 would on G.DMT. The OP should try to get through to Sky CST and raise this with them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have checked all my machines, and I have no malware/spyware/trojans etc. installed on any of them. As I do a lot of coding of network software, I have access to a NetDisturb box (NetDisturb is a software packet analyser, and disruption/testing tool) that I placed inbetween my network and the sky router to double check if anything on my network was creating unwanted traffic. After leaving the box on there for 6 hours, the only traffic it monitored from my network to the router was me attempting to browse. The HTTP request packets are getting to the router from my network ok, but the responses back from the router are taking a VERY long time. The fault is definitely either at my router, or beyond.

As for the ADSL2/G.DMT issue, I always assumed that as my exchange (Leyland) has been SkyLLU for years, that when they hooked me up last February I would have automatically been on an ADSL2/LLU connection. Is this not the case? And if not how do I find out if I am LLU or not?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast