Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

This is a discussion on Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am still not convinced that you are on G.DMT, what you are experiencing, and your friend, is what happens ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

I am still not convinced that you are on G.DMT, what you are experiencing, and your friend, is what happens when an unsuitable line is put on ADSL2+. Phone Sky in about half an hour and you may get straight through to CST. If you have a ticket number use it

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Squirelly666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leyland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am still not convinced that you are on G.DMT, what you are experiencing, and your friend, is what happens when an unsuitable line is put on ADSL2+. Phone Sky in about half an hour and you may get straight through to CST. If you have a ticket number use it
      Just been onto CST again, and the guy assured me that my line is on G.DMT and will not be moved to ADSL2+. He did say that the line is still producing a load of errors, but couldn't give me an update on how they are going to resolve it because it has been transferred to the 'BT Escalations Team'.

So he transferred my call to the ET and I finally got through to them after an hour of being on hold. They've looked at my line and still seem to be of the opinion that due to the length of the line and the attenuation I'm getting they can't see how my line could go faster than it does now. They have booked me a BT engineer visit for Tuesday morning, but the guy I spoke to doubted it would make a difference as the BT guy will just check the wiring, and line statistics and if they match up he'll tick the box to say the line is ok.

Now I'm hoping that the Sky guy is just being a bit pessimistic and when the BT engineer see's whats going on with my line he'll be able to do something about it. However if he can't then I'm not sure what to do about it.

All I want is the reasonably quick, reliable connection I've had for the last 2 years back. As, up until now, Sky have provided a pretty good (very cheap) service, I would like to stick with them, but if they can't resolve this will moving away be a simple process?

Will moving away make any difference, or will my line problems just follow me? If BT say the line is fine, then surely this must be a sky problem? I did try the availability checker on O2 this morning (I'm with them for my mobile and they keep trying to get me to switch my BB to them), and their online checker for my phone number reports an estimated speed of 2500. Are these online checkers using some sort of live system to test your line, or are they basically looking up my number in a database?

On another note about possibly leaving SkyBB, I have heard that once you've been LLU'ed moving ADSL isn't as simple as just getting a MAC code, is this correct?

Thanks

I've just noticed that my line has got even worse now. Stats are now:

Downstream - Speed: 1385kbps - Att: 66.5db - Margin : 11.5db
      Upstream - Speed: 380kbps - Att: 42.4db - Margin: 13.0db

When I was on the phone to the ET guy, he said he was trying a few things to make the line better, and then when they didn't he agreed to order the engineer visit. I guess whatever he did, has made it slightly worse.

If it carries on at this rate, I'll be at worse than dial-up speeds within the week!!!!

Thanks

Are you using a Sky router? I have never seen one registering an attenuation of over 63.5 dbs unless it was on ADSL2+.

If you are not using a Sky router then it looks like your line is deteriorating badly, hopefully BT will pick this up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I'm using the replacement Sagem router that sky sent me earlier this week. I have also tried putting the Sky netgear back on, just to check it, and it reads 62db attenuation, syncs at 1500 but gives me about 30% packet loss.

I guess the line is screwed (as I've suspected all along) and, as you say, hopefully the BT engineer will find something when he comes on Tuesday.

Thanks

I do not like to keep harping on about it, as you have been told that you are on G.DMT, but I have yet to see a set of specs on G.DMT which read over 63.5. The Sagem can and does report over this on ADSL2+. We just have to hope that I am wrong and the BT guy can fix your line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

BT Engineer has just left and stats are now at:

Downstream - 2431kbps - Att: 66.0db - Margin: 7.1db
      Upstream - 390kbps - Att: 42.4db - Margin: 12.0db

Not as good as they once were, but better than they've been for a long time. Apparently the line from the CAB to the Exchange was faulty, so he's switched some wires about and sorted it out.

With these new sync speeds, my speed test results are coming back as:

These aren't as good as I used to get, and surely the above line should be doing a little better than this? With the many setting changes that Sky made to my line to try and resolve the problem, could they have 'dialled' a few things down that could be causing a little slowdown? Should I get back on to them, or will things settle themselves down and get back to normal as the line re-learns it's capabilities?

Also I tried to reconnect my netgear router (the Sagem doesn't seem to work as well with my wireless kit) and it gets a connection, but doesn't work properly. Could Sky have changed something that could make my line more suited to the Sagem than the Netgear?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Both routers do the same job and should still work on the line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234