Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

This is a discussion on Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; you'd be on LLU , but whether or not you're on adsl2+ is another matter...going by the length of your ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Best way to deal with Sky Broadband Problems?

you'd be on LLU, but whether or not you're on adsl2+ is another matter...going by the length of your line I'd say not, but since the move to the DLM script and the non-standard upstream speed you have it's hard to say...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Squirelly666 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leyland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ah! I'd always assumed that all LLU lines were ADSL2+. Could my problems be caused by Leyland exchanges recent 21CN upgrade (I believe it got done at the end of March)? Hasn't that got something to do with ADSL2+, or does it not affect LLU lines?

Also, just out of interest, whats a DLM script?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

-------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Just read through that and it seems interesting. As you say my upload speed doesn't seem to fit the profile of DLM, but you never know. If DLM was currently active on my line would Sky's support team not know about it? If it is active on my line, then the fact that Sky had me reboot/disconnect my router about 30 times on Friday, won't have helped much.

Just got to wait for this new router to arrive now I guess, and if that doesn't work get back on to them and see were we go from here. All I know is not having a connection sucks, what the hell did we used to do before the internet!!!!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If DLM is active it is very clear to the tier 1 and CST agents that it is running.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am betting that although DLM is not active, the line has been put on ADSL2+.

BT's 21CN has nothing to do with Sky btw, it is basically BT's version of Sky's LLU.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just got my new router through the post (sagem which I believe are the worst one they can send you ) , plugged it in and I'm now getting the following statistics:

Connection Speed : Down 1632 Up 576
      Line Attentuation : Down 63.5db Up 31.5db
      Noise Margin : Down 10.8db Up 9.0db

Interestingly the connection seems a little more stable. I've done some ping tests to cr1.lcley.uk.easynet.net which, as the first easynet step in a tracert from my network to anywhere and as lcley is my exchange code, I would guess is the exchange equipment at the other end of my line.

When the netgear was still attached (synced at 1856) I was getting 25% packet loss pinging the above for about 30 minutes. With the Sagem pinging it for about 30 minutes this morning, synced at 1632, I'm now seeing 2% packet loss. I guess the lower speed is helping the reliability of the line. When I spoke to CST on Monday they wanted to put a 1Mb cap on my line to attempt to resolve the issue, and I guess now I know why. I suspect it will run perfectly well as a 1Mb line. But obviously I'm not happy as that is almost a third of the speed I was getting previously.

I am going to be contacting CST again later today to let them know all this, has anyone any recommendations on the approach I should take. Should I mention that on advice from posts on here, I think my line has been migrated to ADSL2+ and can't take it? Will they know this from their screens? And will they be able to switch it back? Will they care? or are they just going to slap a 1/1.5Mb cap on my line and wash their hands of it?

p.s. Thanks for all the assistance/advice so far.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The only thing you can do is ask.

Ask if you are on ADSL2 and if you are request that you are put on G.DMT as you have been advised it will be a bit faster and more stable with your long line. Also ask if you could have DLM suspended because you think it may put you back on ADSL2 at a later date.

They should be able to do this over the phone so you should see the improvement immediately. I would try to speak to them though rather than just letting 1st line pass a message across.

Most of all, remember that CST do know what they are doing so don't be too pushy, when I have spoken to them in the past they were more than happy to try a few things to see how it worked.

If you game, it may also be worth getting your max delays reduced but be aware that this may be at the loss of some speed.

Thanks

Well, been on the phone to CST again this afternoon and they've confirmed a few things:

1. I am on G.DMT, and they wouldn't put ADSL2+ on a line as 'bad' as mine.

2. In the 8 minutes after him forcing a re-connect on my router, 15,000 errors were recorded on their system. According to the operator I spoke to this is 'not normal'

3. Line tests all show that my line is OK, and there are no problems.

Now call me stupid, but I would have thought that 15,000 errors in 8 minutes (averages to 31 errors a second), would be an indicator that a line is faulty. But that isn't quite enough for an engineer visit to be ordered. The ticket has been pushed back up to the Tier 1 guys (I think) to do some more investigating, and hopefully decide an engineer visit is necessary. If they don't I'm not sure what to do, I feel like I'm going round in circles.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

1. I am on G.DMT, and they wouldn't put ADSL2+ on a line as 'bad' as mine.

2. In the 8 minutes after him forcing a re-connect on my router, 15,000 errors were recorded on their system. According to the operator I spoke to this is 'not normal'
      They have put ADSL2+ on lines just as bad as yours.

If your line was returning 32 errors a second I don't think it would work at all. I think you may have been unlucky enough to get one of the poorer CST or one that could not care less, that is if you even got to CST. If he passed you back to Tier 1 without a resolution, that is a bad sign. Are you sure you were not speaking to Tier 1 and they have passed it to CST?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast