Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow Loading, cache issue or more?

This is a discussion on Slow Loading, cache issue or more? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Lately it has been purgatory waiting for websites to open. Some days it is fine, some days impossible. A few ...

Harvey15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morpeth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Loading, cache issue or more?

Lately it has been purgatory waiting for websites to open. Some days it is fine, some days impossible. A few days ago it was so bad I hooked up my laptop directly to the router using an ethernet cable and suddenly I was able to open websites again. I unplugged the cable and the problem continued. The icons are showing a great connection and good download speeds but the reality is totally different.

I looked on the Sky website and it suggested clearing your cache regularly. I now have Firefox set to clear every time it closes but this still does not solve the problem. Sometime it helps for a short period sometimes not at all. This does not seem right. I am not a heavy surfer or downloader.

I have full McAfee protection, plus Spyware Blaster and CCleaner, all of which I use regularly so I don't think anything has dropped onto my computer.

Any thoughts?

2. Advertisement
      Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Slow Loading, cache issue or more?

Am guessin your wireless, my suggestion then is to log into the router and change the channel sky automatically set there are programs out there to scan the local WIFI area and you can work out the best channel from that, other wise Homeplugs may be a good idea or a very long cable

Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I change the channel Sky suggests will my computer pick this up or do I have to do something extra. Also how will I know which is the best to change to? I am okay on computers but the whole router area is alien to me and I need to be held by the hand a little. Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try channel 13 for a start, then work your way down through the channels till you find the best one.

Netstumbler, link below, is very useful, if it is compatible with your adapter it will show you all the networks around you and what channel they are using. Choose a channel as far from the ones being used as possible.

You don't have to change your PC settings in any way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

i find that the lower range seems to produce better results however your best to do a search and try each channel, the results wont be instant you may need to work with the channel until your satisfied if its good or bad

Thanks

It depends on the networks around you Gazz, if there are a lot on the lower channel numbers, you will have problems. Likewise for the high numbers of course, but not too many use 13, that's why I recommend it as first choice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I always start high on channels, shame Sky don't talk to the guys behind netstumbler to see if they can send it out as a tool on the installation CD.

Thanks

As you know Paul, Sky recommend the best channels for USA, not UK.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I found three wireless networks near me, including my own. 2 were on 1, mine included, and then an intermittent one kept flicking in and out. That was on 11. I set my channel to 13 as suggested. I also followed a thread on this site regarding speeding up Firefox, the browser I use, and so I followed those instructions as well. I did this last thing at night, I had played golf in the rain and then watched the Newcastle v Portsmouth match afterwards, so I do not know yet if this has worked or not. At least now I have something to check and work on.

One extra thing. We have got into the habit of turning off the router when we are not using it, partly to save electricity, partly to see if it helps. Am I doing the right thing there or is that contributing to the problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey15 View Post
      I found three wireless networks near me, including my own. 2 were on 1, mine included, and then an intermittent one kept flicking in and out. That was on 11. I set my channel to 13 as suggested. I also followed a thread on this site regarding speeding up Firefox, the browser I use, and so I followed those instructions as well. I did this last thing at night, I had played golf in the rain and then watched the Newcastle v Portsmouth match afterwards, so I do not know yet if this has worked or not. At least now I have something to check and work on.
      On any wireless network particularly B+G grad ones there is a set Number of non-overlapping channels which is 3. they are channel: 1, 6 and 11,

Now you say that yours was set to channel 1, your nabours was also 1, and another network was channel 11? if you find no improvment with 13 i would suggest channel 6 this way its not in the spectrum of channels 1 or 11

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey15 View Post
      One extra thing. We have got into the habit of turning off the router when we are not using it, partly to save electricity, partly to see if it helps. Am I doing the right thing there or is that contributing to the problem?
      your causeing two different problems, 1 being your line disconnections can be seen as unstable by sky and 2. routers are designed for continual use, the on off kills them eventually, i have mine attached to a surge protector just incase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast