Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky BroadBand Slow!

This is a discussion on Sky BroadBand Slow! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Well ive been with sky for more then a year and ive been having a few problems. First of ...

jahid26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Arrow Sky BroadBand Slow!

Hi,
      Well ive been with sky for more then a year and ive been having a few problems.
      First of all my internet randomly goes really slow on wifi and the one wired computer. i do have the Netgear V1 DG834GT Router. Heres a few stats on my speed:

Those stats for me is pretty fast and i usally get much slower.
      I often try connecting to Xbox live on my Xbox 360 Console wirelesly and i can never seem to have a good connection i always get lag and i can't connect to any online matches. But when i move my console when its wired and plugged in the xbox live runs perfectly fine. I would keep the console plugged in to the Router but the TV were the rounter is, is to small for me even see whats going on. So is there anyway i can fix my internet make it faster?
      Please help! Thanks in advance and sorry if any of this sounds stupid...

Edit: Heres a few basic stats if it helps:

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky BroadBand Slow!

was that speed test done on your wired pc with all the xbox and any other pc's turned off?? if not could you try that and also ensure you have closed ANY programs on your pc that dont need to be open, might be an idea to try a few different sites for the speed test as well because the results can vary site to site

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      was that speed test done on your wired pc with all the xbox and any other pc's turned off?? if not could you try that and also ensure you have closed ANY programs on your pc that dont need to be open, might be an idea to try a few different sites for the speed test as well because the results can vary site to site

This test was done on my computer which is connected to the router.
      But usally i have done tests before on this computer and i get about 1.70 mb/s i think its because its pretty late at night. When its either early in the moring or late at night i have a pretty decent connection.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

jahid26
      Hi the package you are on is connect your Upstream 448kbps is a rebranded Bt product
      does this happen between 5pm and 12midnight

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      jahid26
      Hi the package you are on is connect your Upstream 448kbps is a rebranded Bt product
      does this happen between 5pm and 12midnight
      Well it usally happens randomly but not in the morning up to 4:00 pm then my Internet does go pretty crappy and slow. From 11:30pm onwards to my connection is fine

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

jahid26
      Hi have you seen this
      Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network
      Sky connect is being Traffic Managed from 5pm till 12midnight some connect Customers are being throttled. I am not saying you are being throttled but keep an open mind a good idea is doing a http://speedtester.bt.com/ to see what your IP Profile is also Actual throughput

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Thanks

I point you in this threads direction, it may be helpful to your circumstances

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Wireless and gaming do not mix, especially as the Xbox wireless adaptor is located in a silly place at the back of the console and most likely blocked by you TV etc.

2 possible solutions use a USB extention cable on the adaptor and that give you the freedom to stick the wireless arieal anywhere you like for best signal

Play.com (UK) : Belkin PRO Series USB Extension Cable / 4.8M : Computing - Free Delivery

or use powerline homeplugs which turn your house internal wiring into ethernet lines

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have used both methods and the homeplugs work great as you can't beat an ethernet connection.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Wireless and gaming do not mix, especially as the Xbox wireless adaptor is located in a silly place at the back of the console and most likely blocked by you TV etc.

2 possible solutions use a USB extention cable on the adaptor and that give you the freedom to stick the wireless arieal anywhere you like for best signal

Play.com (UK) : Belkin PRO Series USB Extension Cable / 4.8M : Computing - Free Delivery

or use powerline homeplugs which turn your house internal wiring into ethernet lines

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have used both methods and the homeplugs work great as you can't beat an ethernet connection.
      Ok im going to later onm when i have enough money ill buy the Home plug but will it still work if my internet router is downstairs and my console is upstairs.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Yes, It would even work if your x-box was at the end of an extension lead in a shed at the end of your garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast