Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

512kb ALL the time,,,capped in some way ?

This is a discussion on 512kb ALL the time,,,capped in some way ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; [QUOTE=Isitme;208077]Yes it does, DLM automatically sets the line to ADSL2+. I don't know why they waste time and resources putting ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 512kb ALL the time,,,capped in some way ?

[QUOTE=Isitme;208077]Yes it does, DLM automatically sets the line to ADSL2+. I don't know why they waste time and resources putting it on a line of your length. I suppose it may work, but I doubt it. You were previously on G.DMT which is why you had the higher speed.[/QUOTE

hi again...you say i WAS on G.DMT previously..thats why i got the higher speeds..is that for definate being on G.DMT ,i do take your word for it as i have no idea ..but if that is true & in 8 days time or so there is no difference in speed i will definately call sky & tell them i want to go back on to G.DMT as any increase in speed has got to be better than what i have at the moment, thanks yet again for the reply

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I wouldn't wait the 8 days, it should be obvious to CST that ADSL2+ is not going to suit your line. You may even end up with a lower speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

just phoned sky again about going back onto G.DMT,sadly, i have to wait for at least 10 days ( 8 left now) as when the DLM test is apparently put in motion sky cannot stop it or do anything until the test has finished..but i did find out that my line can go upto ( i say upto) 1 1/2 MB...which is better than i thought it was ...so, i will now wait for the test to finish...test my speed..without extensions...from master socket etc etc...then take it from there....cheers guys once again..will let you know how i eventually get on

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

They have and can suspend the DLM process especially in cases like yours where it is obvious what has to be done.

Ring again after 10:30pm and see if you have any better luck.

Thanks

I agree with Smithy, they are correct in saying it cannot be stopped, but it can be suspended. Many have had this done when it was obvious it was not working.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

excuse me for asking but i really do not know...you say have it suspended..when obviously it is not working...how do i know it is not working ? ( may be obvious but i have no idea at all )..all i know is that for the last 3 days now my speed has not altered in anyway at all from the 512 downstream ( is it that that makes it obvious it is not working ?...if it is & that is my arguing point then i will phone sky again and insist ( if thats possible) to have it suspended & be put back onto G.DMT but i do not want to be put off by someone quoting facts & figures etc etc which i cannot argue with...many thanks once again

Thanks

If you have a long line and your posts suggest you do then ADSL2 will not work very well, it is only better at dealing with short lines with good stats capable of over 8mb.

The fact that your speed is lower with Sky than you have previously had with other ISP's indicates you are on the ADSL2 profile. G.DMT priofile will actually reduce you attenuation which will allow a little more speed out of your line without de-stabilising it.

DLM may yet do this for you during it's initial training period but then again it may not. As you have a limited scope with your line anyway due to it's lengh then is could easily be configured manually and probably better, certainly quicker.

Thanks

By not working I meant it is not improving your connection, it is making it worse. Any of the good agents with the CST would see this right away. If Tier 1 will do nothing ask to be put through to CST as you believe DLM is crippling your line and making it worse. Once again it depends on who you get in Tier 1, some will use what they have in the space between their ears and put you through, others will just fob you off with the 'you must wait 10 days' mantra.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

thank you so much guys for all the info...phoned sky again just...eventually got thru to technical guys.( after much discussion & forcefulness from me )..but actually spoke to agreat guy ..who actually called me back...he stopped/suspended the DLM..then tweaked afew things his end..and the router stats now are as follows....

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.9 db 16.0 db

100% improvement in speed.etc....he also gave me some great advice on cables to use/get to stabilise the connection...all in all i am very grateful to you all....

Thanks

Looks better with a healthy SNR too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast