Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Trying to extend wireless range/reliability

This is a discussion on Trying to extend wireless range/reliability within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, apologies for this as I know that bits of it have been covered in other threads, but after ...

EDM
      EDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Trying to extend wireless range/reliability

Hi there, apologies for this as I know that bits of it have been covered in other threads, but after much searching I still can't seem to get an answer to my problem.

I have a Sagem router on the middle floor of a 3-floor house. On the top floor, I have a desktop connected wirelessly via a Belkin N+ USB. On the ground floor, I have a Pure radio which can connect via its internal wifi card to internet radio and listen again features etc.

The problems are these:

With the router on the middle floor, the radio doesn't work properly at all, and the Desktop occasionally (twice a day) cuts out. This latter problem wouldn't be a problem but I use a remote login and I login to my Bloomberg terminal and both of these crash as soon as I get disconnected even for a tiny amount of time.

The radio has no way of connecting to an enhanced wireless receiver. It does have what looks like a mini version of a USB socket in the back but searches on the web would suggest that this has nothing to do with being able to get a better signal.

So my questions are these:

Can I extend the range of my Sagem router by some kind of configuration change?

Can I somehow plug in an antenna to increase the range?

I understand that my Sky contract prohibits me from using another router so would a wireless range extender (such as the one selling in Maplins for 70) work with the Sagem router? Are they reliable in general?

If I use homeplug instead, will the fact that both of my multiroom Sky boxes are accessing the telephone line remotely via the power lines (using wireless telephone extenders) make the use of homeplugs unreliable or impossible?

I am bit stuck as to what to do right now and I would appreciate any help I could get here!

Thanks in advance...

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Trying to extend wireless range/reliability

The wireless range extenders look good on paper but are not as good in practice, they are fiddly to setup and although they boost signal strength they can drop actual throughput and speed through the floor.

And Maplin are having a laugh for 70.

For almost half that you can get a set of powerline homeplugs which turn your house wiring into ethernet cables.

Amazon have a set for less than 40

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

you stick one of them near the router and the other in whatever room you need an ethernet connection, if you want multiple devices in a room you just stick on a regular ethernet switch and hey presto the house has ethernet.

Much cheaper to try than that range extender.

As for wether the phone extention things work, I don't know as I just run long lengths of telephone line to my sockets, I would say try it and see.

For your wi-fi radio you can stick a wireless access point onto the end of a homeplug and have it really close to the radio.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

EDM
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Many thanks Adrian. I guess that will be the easiest thing to do. Sadly I can't use phone cables for my sky boxes and I refuse to pay BT 160 per socket to put in new extension sockets. So I will buy the home plugs and cross my fingers that they work - either way I'll come back and let people know how I got on.

EDM
      Exchange:
      Thanks

That seems to have worked - thank you very much. I have moved my router down to the bottom floor near my internet radio (which now works really well), my desktop is connected via the home plug and power lines with no apparent problems and according to my Sky boxes, they both recognise the phone connection via power lines as well. So, as far as I can tell right now, home plug ehternet connections and wireless phone extensions appear to work simultaneously along the same power lines.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Good to hear it all worked, the telephone things must comply with the homeplug standard then and so they can all live happily then.

If you want to check to see if the box phones out you can check your bill on interactive and let the box connect to Sky (for free)
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!