Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ideal Setup for Sky Connect to maintain good speeds / consistency?

This is a discussion on Ideal Setup for Sky Connect to maintain good speeds / consistency? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Right I've just signed up for Sky Connect (only one available / top speed I can get is 4.5mb) ...

cpr
      cpr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ideal Setup for Sky Connect to maintain good speeds / consistency?

Hi,

Right I've just signed up for Sky Connect (only one available / top speed I can get is 4.5mb) and having had problems with the existing ISP I'm hoping to get things right from the start.

Quick question before I go into detail, do I get a free router as part of joining Sky? We are an existing Sky TV customer and have now signed up for Connect as well as Talk. I've got the impression from a few people that you do but I'm fairly certain she said we'd have to buy one (we already have one, it's not really the greatest though and is 4+ years old). Been thinking about buying this one;

ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Multimedia ADSL2+ WLAN Router: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Now onto my main question, probably easier if you take a look at the simple diagram below.

http://onvo.co.uk/_work/bbsetup.gif

With the current ISP I switch between using the router and modem (as the connection seemed better when using the modem).

If the router is being used it's plugged into the 3rd phone socket, I have a PC on the top floor as well which it's directly connected to via ethernet cable. Connection was always pretty good for the PC but for any laptop it was fairly poor (via cheapisp Belkin USP adapters from Argos).

When using the modem it was simply connected to the 2nd phone socket and directly into the PC, always performed consistently well.

Anyway, basically my line got synced (at 0.5mb) and never got unsynced (which i'm guessing was down to constantly switching between the two?), the support was useless and the BB was expensive so this is why we've moved.

Now after all that i'm looking to find what the best setup will be for the new Broadband. From what I've read plugging the router into the master socket and keeping it plugged in will work the best? Problem is I'd want to connect the router directly to the PC but it means I'd have to start drilling holes through window frames or walls (the distance between the master socket and PC is about 15m (by following walls, not directly)). Instead of doing that, will using as USB adapter for the PC instead affect the speed a lot? Alternatively I could plugin the router to the 2nd phone socket and straight to the PC without any drilling, I'm guessing I'd lose some speed though?

Sorry about the amount of info, quite a few things I wanted to get sorted before it's activated so I may have rambled on a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      cpr
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ideal Setup for Sky Connect to maintain good speeds / consistency?

Quite note, I've just spoken to Sky and I will be getting the NetGear router they supply, not sure what the other women was on about.

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky connect has had some fair issues over the last few months so be prepared for that, check the Unofficial FAQ on Sky Connect.

2nd. yes you will get the Netgear Router (not sure which one)

3. the master socket will always give you the best results

4. if u can, remove the face plates and disconnect line 3 if its not needed or the one furthest from the master socket, and remove the T3 wire (i think, or T2) from the other sockets this should cut noise and lower attenuation down.

this is a rushed post, but some other member will help you with more information

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have phone extensions get a Filtered faceplate this will isolate your internal wiring and mask any faults.

Wireless is not very good unless you live in a house like an egg crate. Your best bet is to buy a couple of homeplugs and make yourself a Homeplug network This is faster and more stable and as it runs through your power circuit, it does not involve extra wiring or holes in your walls.

Shop around and you can get these for a reasonable price

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

cpr
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I think i'm going to be buying a set of 3 homeplugs once they come back in stock and a filtered faceplate.

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
      Thanks for the replies, I think i'm going to be buying a set of 3 homeplugs once they come back in stock and a filtered faceplate.
      Don't waste your money. Prepare yourself for duff speeds between 5pm and midnight, you will be throttled large!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

or maybe not...depends what they need their connection for tbh...

if it's just browsing/the odd download then Connect is fine...if it's constantly streaming/gaming then it might be wise to look elsewhere...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

cpr
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It'll be mainly for browsing, I won't be gaming or streaming very often at all. Am I likely to be throttled if I download say 3 or 4GB a week?

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

cpr
      Hi I hate to say this but I only Browse on this forum and update never ever played games on line and I have been throttled numerous time have a look at last couple of pages Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? Did anyone tell you connect is traffic managed between 5pm and 12midnight. that is what Sky says about the connect package.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
      It'll be mainly for browsing, I won't be gaming or streaming very often at all. Am I likely to be throttled if I download say 3 or 4GB a week?
      Ignore the post Steve posted - it doesn't affect everyone and if it's just browsing you'll be fine

By all means keep it to hand to refer to but the people posting on 'Steve's Blog' are extreme cases or gamers getting traffic shaped...You, like myself, shouldn't really see any difference other than a slight delay on pages but it's nothing to cry about...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast