Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help or Advice much needed

This is a discussion on Help or Advice much needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello my problem is long winded and 2 fold so please bare with me. I am a Sky connect broadband ...

Elston15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709 Wath Upon Dearne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Exclamation Help or Advice much needed

Hello my problem is long winded and 2 fold so please bare with me.

I am a Sky connect broadband user and my line rental is with BT. About 2 weeks ago my internet connection became really slow permantently and was also extremely intermittent. We usually get around 1-3mb depending on peak/off peak. However the speed has dropped permanently to 0.1mb or about 120kbs.

So rang sky technical help went through help with them and they suggested it was a problem with the line as there was also static on the phone line and the router showed that the downstream margin was fluctuating between 2 and 2132412413db. So we rang BT did the test socket test thing and called to have an engineer out.

He came and fixed the problem, (basically some water had got into the junction box at the bottom of the drive). btw BT were very helpful and extremely fast in sending an engineer out.

So now the phone line is fine, the internet is stable the downstream margin seems to have stabilised some what, yet is still extremely slow.
      After ringing sky up again, and looking at the router stats, the router gives a speed of nearly 4mb yet, doing anything with the connection you get only about 0.1mb

These are my router stats

DSL Status: Connected
      DSL Modulation Mode: MultiMode
      DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
      Downstream Rate: 3936 kbps
      Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
      Downstream Margin: 11 db
      Upstream Margin: 19 db
      Downstream Line Attenuation: 44 db
      Upstream Line Attenuation: 14 db
      Downstream Transmit Power: 11 db
      Upstream Transmit Power: 19 db

After doing the broadband speed test here Test Result, I was given these results

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 3936 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 120 kbps

That statement pretty much sums up my problem

Also to add to the mix my upstream rate is perfectly fine i can upload at about 400kbps yet downloading around 120kbps

Here is a list of things i have tried already which have had no effect,
      1. Connect to the master BT socket with the router
      2. Change all the microfilters and disconnected all other hardware in the house
      3. Tried 2 seperate routers, both report a speed of nearly 4mb but only realise 0.1mb
      4. Tried a wired and wireless connection to the router and checked to make sure i was the only computer connected to the router
      5. Tried 4 different computers which ran either XP or Vista
      6. Tried a Hard reset on the modems/routers
      7. Tried several different speed test sites
      8. Tried uninstalling ipv6 on the XP machines and (disabling) vista machines

Sky technical help was as expected, p**s poor, and they basically said if the router says you are getting 4mb then the problem is with you router/computer and is therefore not our problem.

On a seperate topic, I also queryed them about Capped usage/ Fair usage policy as i am 100% certain that we were put on a capped connection in about november as we are heavy users, even though our broadband is meant to be "unlimited", and she lied directly to me stating, and i quote "Sky do not use capped connections or fair usage policies", i pointed her in the direction of the sky website which says they do and she said the website was incorrect and then hung up on me. But that is a seperate issue and i digress

I cannot see how it can be a hardware problem as I am a proficient IT user and have tried multiple computers and Routers which are all working and have the same problem. All my computers have the latest windows updates on them and are virus free.
      Finally my exchange is in Wath-Upon-Dearne, which sky isn't a LLU operator there and i am about 1800m away from the exchange.

As a last resort i am considering switching to Tiscali as they do have their equipment at my exchange (will this make any difference?) and are cheaper, and my current solution of making dolls of sky techincal support staff and sticking pins in them isn't working.

Anyone who has read this, thank you very much!, i know it was long winded, and any help/suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I have used this site many times in the past to find out various things including my sky password to change the router (which the technical support criticised me heavily for, even though the router they supplied was pretty crap) and found it very helpful so here's hoping.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help or Advice much needed

What is your usage now?

Any more than 1.4Gb per day will see you throttled, which sounds like your problem.

Sky Connect is not an unlimited connection, you have a 40Gb monthly limit.

There does not appear to be anything wrong with your stats and your line tests fine, I am pretty sure your connection is either capped or being throttled.

DO NOT GO WITH TISCALY, if you think Sky are bad they will really test you.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Elston15
      Hi first of all Connect package is 40GB & subject to Traffic Management Policy so if you have gone over 40GB that is the reason your speeds are as they are and will not go back up because of the over usage have you not received a letter or email telling you what they were going to do so really you cannot blame Sky.
      as we are heavy users, even though our broadband is meant to be "unlimited",

Thanks

Red face Re: Help or Advice much needed

Sorry thinking back it is meant to be 40gb per month but i never have paid much attention to this. We are heavy users i regularly frequent utorrent, also access the vpn at work downloading files, and other two users are teachers so they are constantly downloading resources and everybody uses the internet quite regularly. So i wouldn't be surprised if we are over 40GB a month.

However this just raises further questions why hasn't this happend before at the moment is use utorrent sparingly probably about 500mb a night on average, whereas previously i would quite easily be doing 1-2gb a night and nothing, i also used to use a bandwith monitor to track my downloading activities and have probably exceeded 150gb a month before with no repucussions.

Secondly why has no one at sky bothered to ring us up and tell us or send a letter about it. I have never used the email account that came with sky as i already have about 4 email accounts and trying to track them is hard enough so they may have emailed using that email and i haven't looked.

Most importantly, i also came to this conclusion today before i posted and rang sky up about this and she said as mentioned previously that sky don't do that and i asked her to check my account and she said there was nothing, and if the router says 4mb you are getting 4mb.

Thanks for the quick responses and you are probably right, but why would the router still give a theoretical speed of 4mb? is the bit i can't understand.

Ps. I have heard some horror stories about Tiscali, but they are much cheaper that most others, and i would like to go with someone with equipment at our exchange, which are tiscali, talk talk, BT, Orange or AOL. and tiscali seemed the cheapest. Is there some hidden truth i should know about tiscali?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

However you put it, if you are doing that much downloading you will now be being capped.

The fact that you may have done it in the past means nothing, it's like speeding, this time you have been caught, I think Sky are now enforcing this a lot more, you should be happy, if you downloaded 150gb with another ISP you may have gotten a bill of over 150 for the extra usage. You were taking the P!!!

There is a reason Tiscali are cheap, you pay peanuts and all that.

If you want a good connection with a high download limit that you will have to pay for it, your exchange doesn't have much in the way of resources.

See if Idnet, Plusnet or Zen do an unlimited package, but as I say, be prepared for a big bill every month.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the problem here initially is the line rate (ip profile) is 135 - which is NOT to do with Sky...it'll have done this due to line sync dropping to 160kbps or there abouts...it should adjust in the next 48-72hrs...

if it's already been that long, either sync rate has dropped again and has reset this time OR the ip profile has got stuck...

this, on top of the throttling, will lead to obvious slow downs...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Having dug out my sky email address and checked that, there is no communication from them and I have definetly not received any letter from them. I assume they would have contacted me were they going to do this as they would surely want to charge me more money.

While online i also stumbled across my sky bill that i have not looked at in a long time and sky are only charging me 5 a month and also haven't been charging my talk packages, and haven't been for the past year or so which is great, also there is nothing mentioned about additional usage penalties etc.

I will wait a few days and hopeful as IamNotTheEnemy mentioned the sync rate will correct itself. The engineer corrected the fault this morning. It would also be an incredible coincidence if sky capped my speed at the exact same time that the junction box at the bottom of the drive failed.

P.s. What ever happened to the days of care free broadband?, when i lived in York 2-3 years ago and got 8mb broadband with BT our house would quite easily consume 200gb a month without hassle or worry. There was never a time in the day when somebody wasn't running a torrent client or playing Counter Strike. All legal though!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky didn't cap the line - it's BT's mechanism that kicks in during a line fault...it'll need to see up to 3 days of stable sync rate before raising the ip profile - so if it was just fixed today then that's why it's low...

taken from BT's website...

BT.com

"Every time you switch off or reconnect your router or modem, your broadband service refreshes your connection speed. Note, however, that where this has increased, your throughput speed will not increase for a further 3 days. This is a to minimise the risk of data loss which would occur if the exchange tried to send data down your phone line at a faster rate than it is capable of handling.

To avoid this happening, your exchange waits for three days of consistently higher connection speeds before it will increase the speed at which it passes data down your line. Also note that if your connection speed dips for any reason during the three-day period (eg. due to electrical interference or a fault), the exchange will restart the three-day period.

For these reasons we recommend you leave your router switched on all the time, and avoid measuring your throughput speed until three days after you last switched on or rebooted your router or modem."
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

As IANTE say`s you need to ease of and in about 72hrs you should see your IP profile improve if it does then it will gradually improve if it does not you need to wait a little longer and then ring Sky and explain to them what has happened. With a bit of luck Sky might be able to sort out the problem if not Sky might have to contact Bt and get your connection reprofiled which is time hope everything get sorted
      Might like to look at the problems connect Customers are having click on below

Thanks

Smile Re: Help or Advice much needed

Thanks very much, it sounds like that might be the problem and hopeful time will be the solution. Sorry if i came off a bit irate at times, but my internet connection is vital for my work and long download speeds mean long nights working unfortunately. But sky technical help were absolutely useless, I used to work in a call centre and can appreciate the difficult job some people do, but i was hung up on 3 times in the past week which only serves to infuriate me further. It was also the way she told me adamantly told me that if the router says 4mb thats what you are getting and there was no possibly way it is wrong and I must be at fault.

Fair enough it turns out it wasn't sky's fault but they could have been more friendly over the phone, less patronising, not everyone is an IT misfit who has forgotten to turn on the router. I would have thought that the problem that I experienced is not an uncommon one and that they might have experienced it before, but obviously not.

Hopefully i will be able to post back in 3 days with normal speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast