Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 21 to 25 of 25

    Help or Advice much needed

    This is a discussion on Help or Advice much needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Smithy99 So that would point to the fact that you are using it wor work purposes, more ...

    1. #21
      Elston15's Avatar
      Elston15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709 Wath Upon Dearne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Posts
      8
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Talking Re: Help or Advice much needed

      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      So that would point to the fact that you are using it wor work purposes, more than checking the odd e-mail anyway.
      Granted maybe i shouldn't have put vital,but having checked the terms and conditions they clearly state

      "(a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. It must not be used for any commercial or business purpose"

      Which is very different to what you have alluded to previously, and I am well within the limits of the contract to access vpn, juniper and various other things.

      This is to stop people using the product solely on a business or comercial premise, where a loss of connection could equal a loss in revenue, and so sky would be liable. This is not the case in my situation

      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      What you would be paying for is the unlimited downloads that you require, which is actually a cheap package because many ISP's charge over 1 per GB.
      No its not the only thing i would be paying for. BT offer various offer things to jack up the price, and I am not going to pay an extra 20 + line rental for the peace of mind of unlimited downloads. Having never been contacted by sky about excessive downloads in nearly 2 years of broadband service I cannot be much of a problem. If and when sky ring me up and ask for 1 per GB then you can complain. As sky clearly states;

      "If in any month you exceed your Usage Cap, we will notify you that you have done so.

      If, in any subsequent month, your usage exceeds your Usage Cap again, then we may do one or more of the following things by notice"


      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It is very clear in their T&C's regarding fair usage etc, you should really take the time to understand what you are agreeing to before you go ahead and enter a contract.
      It is not clear at all and i quote;

      "To protect our network and maintain quality of service for all our users we can temporarily or permanently control or restrict your online activities via Sky Broadband where such activities may have a detrimental effect on other customers' quality of service and it is reasonable for us to do so (e.g. sending "spam" Messages or hosting a website)."

      This is delibaretly worded so it allows sky the maximum amount of breathing space as to the actions they can take, and it is vague at best.

      "temporarily or permanently", "it is reasonable for us to do so". All these phrases are designed to be ambigious so they will never get pinned by the regulator or court.

      Before you say it, Yes, the fair usage policy on connect customers updated in October 2008 is more clear however as sky have failed to inform me a month in advance as to the change in conditions they are in breach of their own contract as stated here;

      "(a) We cannot change or add to Conditions 7(c), 9 and 11(c)(ii) or this Condition 10 except for security, legal or regulatory reasons.
      (b) We may change any other Conditions. However, if you reasonably consider that you have been disadvantaged by this you may end this Contract under Condition 11, even if you are within your Minimum Term (see Condition 11(a)).
      (c) You will receive at least one calendar month's notice of any changes or additions to these Conditions which are likely to be materially detrimental to you.. "


      See this breaking the contract thing works both ways

      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Thats not what you say in your other posts, in fact you state that you have gone over the 40gb and even over 100gb at times.
      I stated that in previous months i had gone over the limit, and i said i wouldn't be surprised if I was over the limit not that I was.

      In fact given the restricitons placed on the broadband at the moment i would be pretty certain that we haven't gone over the limit


      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It doesn't matter when you download, it all counts towards the 40gb limit.
      Yes of course it matters when you download you fool . If you download at 4.00am when no one is using the network it is not going to affect anybody, if people run bit torrent during the day then it will have a much more significant effect. Again as stated by sky;

      "We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority"

      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I agree but whats done is done and doesn't give you the right to breach your contract with Sky.
      This is a civil contract and not a crinimal one, I have the right to break it as stated in UK commercial Law just as Sky would have the right to terminate that contract should I do so.

      Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The bottom line is that you are abusing Sky's service and at you own admission you have breached the T&C's. Now I'm not the ISP police but I really wish Sky would do more to police it's own network then people wouldn't be able to do what you have done and other customers may have a better experience of Sky Connect.
      Are you sure you don't want to be the ISP police? You sound like you would enjoy that, the point is your internet service isn't crap because of me using the internet. The only thing I admit to breaking in the terms & conditions is changing my router, which this forum showed me how to do.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      Smithy99's Avatar
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      Wirral
      Posts
      6,739
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 57 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Help or Advice much needed

      Hey look I only responded to what you yourself had written regarding your download amount and your business use, if you want to back track on that that's fine.

      Quote Originally Posted by Elston15 View Post
      Yes of course it matters when you download you fool
      As for the insult, I usually find that people resort to them when they are standing on thin ice with no argument.

      I hope you get your speeds back and continue as you were.

    4. #23
      Elston15's Avatar
      Elston15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709 Wath Upon Dearne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Posts
      8
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Talking Re: Help or Advice much needed

      If anyone was checking this thread, my speeds returned this afternoon much to my pleasure,

      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 2720 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2173 kbps

      Thanks for the responses, I will reinstall my bandwith monitor and try and keep track of usage to make sure I am not adversely affecting anyone else.

      On the flip side I heard that South Yorkshire is going to get the fastest broadband in Europe so hopefully i'll be on fibre optic line by the end of year,

      BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Faster broadband to boost economy

    5. #24
      steve16751's Avatar
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      washington
      Posts
      2,867
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts

      Re: Help or Advice much needed

      Elston15
      Just let it get back to your normal speed hopefully your sync will get better with out any adjustments

    6. #25
      Andy17's Avatar
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      1,370
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Help or Advice much needed

      Quote Originally Posted by Elston15 View Post
      If anyone was checking this thread, my speeds returned this afternoon much to my pleasure,

      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 2720 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2173 kbps

      Thanks for the responses, I will reinstall my bandwith monitor and try and keep track of usage to make sure I am not adversely affecting anyone else.

      On the flip side I heard that South Yorkshire is going to get the fastest broadband in Europe so hopefully i'll be on fibre optic line by the end of year,

      BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Faster broadband to boost economy
      They are going to use FTTC and VDSL to give speeds of 25+mb/sec. It isn't going to be fiber right up to the house, just to the street cabs.
      I am also in south yorkshire.

     

     
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION