Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help or Advice much needed

This is a discussion on Help or Advice much needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky BB shouldn't be relied upon for work - it break T&C's......

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Help or Advice much needed

Sky BB shouldn't be relied upon for work - it break T&C's...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Sky BB shouldn't be relied upon for work - it break T&C's...
      Sky connect shouldnt be relied upon for decent speeds, also breaking T&Cs (if proven)

i point you at this thread also

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you are downloading over your 40gb limit then you are breaking the terms. It actually sounds like you are doing or trying to do more than three times this amount per month.

It is you and people like you that are spoiling it for the rest of the connect customers, hopefully Sky will take action and remove you from the network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz380 View Post
      Sky connect shouldnt be relied upon for decent speeds, also breaking T&Cs (if proven)
      Gaz, it is people like the OP on this thread that is ruining the Sky Connect package for everyone else, yes Sky should be more proactive but thaqt does not remove the customers responsability to keep within the rules.

Elston15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709 Wath Upon Dearne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

I don't "rely" on the sky for work use, i can always go into the office and work there, but when i have been to a client it is useful to have an internet connection at home to access the vpn, juniper, company's house, credit reports, email etc. Rather than having to drive into the office just to download a PDF and then drive home.

I am quite happy with speeds of around 1mb unfortunately thats the restriction I placed on myself by choosing this area and this house, which is pretty much on the edge of my exchanges range.

Correct me if im wrong but on my exchange i have no option on the sky package i am offered, sky connect is the only choice.

As for other operators they seem more more expensive, BT is 25 a month for an unlimited package and i feel i am paying for things i won't use like a subscription to norton internet security.

I won't go with talk talk or tiscali as i have heard too many bad stories and i also hear that they are both on the verge of bankruptcy and having dealt with orange and AOL in the past i wouldn't particularly won't to go with them either.

To be honest getting sky broadband at 5 i am quite happy with that. When BT bring 21CN online at my exchange in september i will re-evaluate my situation then. But I can't see speeds increasing too much the exchange is too small and I live in a detatched house on a private drive on a street that has very few other houses on it, meaning if BT wanted to improve the wiring then they would have to install a lot of cabling just to service a few houses, out of the goodness of their own hearts and i can't see that happening

I see no other internet option for me at the moment other than paying to have a line or satelite connection installed at my house which is going to cost me a fortune just to be able to use the internet occasionaly for work.

Finally using my internet connection for work breaks the T&C's, changing my router breaks the T&C's, downloading unreasonable amounts of data breaks my T&C's this is beginning to sound like a certain Chinese manifesto rather than a commercial contract.

And speaking of T&C's I was informed by somebody today who works for BT broadband that if Sky put me on a Fair usage policy (which im pretty sure they have) and don't inform me in some way (which they haven't) then that also breaks the T&C's of my contract and I should inform Ofcom as too a breach of regulations.

Elston15 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01709 Wath Upon Dearne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

Woo back that up, i clearly have not been downloading more than 40gb a month on average or sky would have informed me and charged me, yes i have possibly downloaded too much in past months, but this averages out as if am often away from home for days or weeks.

Secondly 75-90% of my traffic occurs at night, my torrent client is configured to switch on at midnight at turn off at 7am and if i play online it is general after 10, I rarely use the internet during peak periods as it is too slow.

Thirdly do not blame me for the inadequacies of the network and the regulator, the problem with the network is that BT are always two steps behind technology changes, There 21CN is set to finish in 2012 offering ASDL2+ at a max, this is out of date technology now and in 2012 will be slow compared to speeds offered by companies with fibre.

If BT had pulled their finger out or Ofcom had offered them a bilateral monopoly on the market they required, and BT had spent the billions needed to update network to a modern system then throttling problems would be a thing of the past.
      Last edited by Elston15; 22-04-09 at 12:08 AM. Reason: clarification and grammar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elston15 View Post
      I don't "rely" on the sky for work use, i can always go into the office and work there
      You also state in another post:-

"We are heavy users i regularly frequent utorrent, also access the vpn at work downloading files"

and

"but my internet connection is vital for my work and long download speeds mean long nights working"

So that would point to the fact that you are using it wor work purposes, more than checking the odd e-mail anyway.

Correct me if im wrong but on my exchange i have no option on the sky package i am offered, sky connect is the only choice.
      Correct, Sky do not have their LLU equipment in your exchange which is a shame as this would be unlimited.

As for other operators they seem more more expensive, BT is 25 a month for an unlimited package and i feel i am paying for things i won't use like a subscription to norton internet security.
      What you would be paying for is the unlimited downloads that you require, which is actually a cheap package because many ISP's charge over 1 per GB.

I see no other internet option for me at the moment other than paying to have a line or satelite connection installed at my house which is going to cost me a fortune just to be able to use the internet occasionaly for work.
      You have already mentioned a BT package that is more suited to your downloading needs.

Finally using my internet connection for work breaks the T&C's, changing my router breaks the T&C's, downloading unreasonable amounts of data breaks my T&C's this is beginning to sound like a certain Chinese manifesto rather than a commercial contract.
      But it is a contract and one you agreed to, you should hold up your end of the deal.

And speaking of T&C's I was informed by somebody today who works for BT broadband that if Sky put me on a Fair usage policy (which im pretty sure they have) and don't inform me in some way (which they haven't) then that also breaks the T&C's of my contract and I should inform Ofcom as too a breach of regulations.
      It is very clear in their T&C's regarding fair usage etc, you should really take the time to understand what you are agreeing to before you go ahead and enter a contract.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 22-04-09 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks

Woo back that up, i clearly have not been downloading more than 40gb a month on average or sky would have informed me and charged me
      Thats not what you say in your other posts, in fact you state that you have gone over the 40gb and even over 100gb at times.

Secondly 75-90% of my traffic occurs at night, my torrent client is configured to switch on at midnight at turn off at 7am and if i play online it is general after 10, I rarely use the internet during peak periods as it is too slow.
      It doesn't matter when you download, it all counts towards the 40gb limit.

Thirdly do not blame me for the inadequacies of the network and the regulator, the problem with the network is that BT are always two steps behind technology changes, There 21CN is set to finish in 2012 offering ASDL2+ at a max, this is out of date technology now and in 2012 will be slow compared to speeds offered by companies with fibre.
      I don't, but it's not Sky's fault either.

If BT had pulled their finger out or Ofcom had offered them a bilateral monopoly on the market they required, and BT had spent the billions needed to update network to a modern system then throttling problems would be a thing of the past.
      I agree but whats done is done and doesn't give you the right to breach your contract with Sky.

The bottom line is that you are abusing Sky's service and at you own admission you have breached the T&C's. Now I'm not the ISP police but I really wish Sky would do more to police it's own network then people wouldn't be able to do what you have done and other customers may have a better experience of Sky Connect.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 22-04-09 at 10:05 AM.

gollygosh is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smithy you are a pompous little prat