Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

This is what I would have emailed to Sky...

This is a discussion on This is what I would have emailed to Sky... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ...if you didn't have to put it into a form which limits you to 1000 characters!! Hi, We have moved ...

candlestickchimney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

This is what I would have emailed to Sky...

...if you didn't have to put it into a form which limits you to 1000 characters!!

Hi,

We have moved from an 'up to 8Mb' Zen broadband connection onto an 'Up to 16Mb' Sky Max connection within the last 6 weeks, yet our broadband speed has gone down!!??

We have been told by Tier 3 support that our BT line can only support 4.5Mb, so our line is connecting at somewhere around 5.5Mb, yet when we were with Zen, we had a STABLE 6Mb downstream speed, which was connecting at 7Mb on the router!!?? We are also finding that since Tier 3 support 'increased' our line speed from the 2Mb it had been throttled back to, we get great fluctations in terms of speed, sometimes 5Mb, other times Zero - This isn’t a wireless speed problem (we are hardwired downstairs) but it means we can't use our Xbox Live account effectively at the moment as we 'drop out' mid game. We have also found that we get severe buffering when downloading/watching movies, again as our connection speed drops from 150Mb per second to 0 in the blink of an eye. Also, and more importantly than the other 2 gripes, 50% of the time web pages open fine and 50% of the time we get the dreaded 'please try again' page!!!

Lastly, our new router still gives out a weaker signal than our old Netgear router, which means we can't now connect wirelessly upstairs, yet we are forced to use it as part of the T&C's!!??All in all, we’ve gone from a perfectly stable 6.5Mb downstream wireless networked house, to an erratic 0-5.5Mb partially wireless house.

What can you do to resolve this?? Please don't suggest changing microfilters etc as we are savvy enough to know that the problem is not at our end.

Cheers,

Thoughts everyone???

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: This is what I would have emailed to Sky...

Apart from post stats from where you are currently connected, and get a set of comparrison stats from the test socket if you have one?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've not got a test socket unfortunately, but I'll hardwire into the router and bang up some stats later on when I get home!

I've spoken to Sky twice and been through the 2 tiers of Mumbai to get through to their proper technical support in Ireland, only to be told that my line can't handle any more than 5Mb, when I know that I was getting 6.5Mb down on my old connection. Not amused, and probably will be even less so when I get my phone bill for their 0844 number!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

You don't need to hardwire into the router to get the stats, they won't change with a wireless connection. It is a shame yuou have no NTE5 master though.

Can you explain how your router is connected, ie is it an extension socket, if so how many do you have?

Have you traced the master socket and have you removed the wires from terminal 3 on all of the sockets?

None of which is a definate cure but it all helps. If you can get an NTE5 socket and replace the current master socket you would then be able to get a much better idea of your speed potential.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The router is plugged via a filter into the master, and there is an extension which runs upstairs to a 2nd socket which has a filter plugged into it and nothing else.

To be honest, regardless of line potential, can someone explain to me why my broadband signal would be less reliable & slower with a supposedly faster ISP package - I can't get my head round this!

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Well SKY arnt the greatest ISP, post your router stats and we can take a look, also you can use your own router its against T&C's but i gave up on those after 3 weeks!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by candlestickchimney View Post
      The router is plugged via a filter into the master, and there is an extension which runs upstairs to a 2nd socket which has a filter plugged into it and nothing else.

To be honest, regardless of line potential, can someone explain to me why my broadband signal would be less reliable & slower with a supposedly faster ISP package - I can't get my head round this!
      You have been moved from one set of equipment (BT's) to another (Sky's LLU). There could be a fault in the equipment at the exchange or it could just be that your line is not set up correctly on Sky's end, the DLM process has left some customers with the line incorrectly profiled.

It could also be that you are on ADSL2 and that this is not suiting your line. Genrally, you should be able to get the same or better with Sky, sometimes you just have to know what questions to ask when you speak to them.

The stats will give us a good idea. Also the wireless on the Sky router does not seem to be great, I would recommend scrapping it and using homeplugs, wireless interference may be the cause of the speeds fluctuating so wildely, mine did until i got the homeplugs.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 21-04-09 at 04:22 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm....here's a thought - according to Exchange checker on here, Zen do not have LLU enabled on our exchange, so I assume I was getting my previous speeds through an ADSL connection?? Could it be the change over that's the problem??

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ha ha, Smithy99 thinks quicker than me!!! The wireless gripe is minor, I can live with that (or get round it with my old Netgear DG834 ) but honestly, the speeds are shocking at the moment!!

Still, at least it keeps the missus off Facebook - she hasn't got the patience at the moment. Will stick some stats up at 6:30ish and we'll have a look eh??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Please post your stats as requested. It is quite likely you have been put on ADSL2+ which requires a 'cleaner' line than normal ADSL to perform properly. It is also possible that DLM has run on your line and left it crippled. There is a good chance that part of the problem is with your internal wiring and without an NTE5a socket this is almost impossible to determine. The only way to do it, is to disconnect your extensions, which you may not be too keen to do.

Let's save the wireless problems till after your speed is sorted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast