Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

This is what I would have emailed to Sky...

This is a discussion on This is what I would have emailed to Sky... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme That's much better, now you can phone Sky and ask them to lift the cap on ...

candlestickchimney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: This is what I would have emailed to Sky...

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's much better, now you can phone Sky and ask them to lift the cap on your line as you have made improvements to your wiring.
      Next instalment tomorrow.
      What should I be expecting the nice lady at Sky to say in terms of speed now, when she increases the cap?

Currently showing noise margin of 14db downstream by the way.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ideally they should just remove the cap and allow your router to sync at its best speed. If your noise margin is moving between 14-16dbs, your router should be able to handle this without an artificial cap. If they will not lift the cap completely, they should be able to set it to about 9-10mb initially, then if it remains stable lift it a bit more. If your line remains clear you should be able to achieve 14-15 Mbs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ideally they should just remove the cap and allow your router to sync at its best speed. If your noise margin is moving between 14-16dbs, your router should be able to handle this without an artificial cap. If they will not lift the cap completely, they should be able to set it to about 9-10mb initially, then if it remains stable lift it a bit more. If your line remains clear you should be able to achieve 14-15 Mbs.

Wickedness, 9Mb would be top banana! I've sent them a mail using the Kana form, so I can get a reference code, and I'll bell em when they're quiet tonight. I've also asked them to sort out my delay/ping rate for gaming at the same time too!

What time does the tier 3 call centre close?

It's steady at 14dbs today, no lower, but hitting 15dbs every so often.

Thanks

What time does the tier 3 call centre close?
      All Sky support is supposed to be 24/7. After 10.30 pm is reputed to be the best time to call.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

All Sky support is supposed to be 24/7. After 10.30 pm is reputed to be the best time to call.
      Hmmm...I'm not sure that Sky should be subjected to a inebriated post pub candlestickchimney at that time on a Friday!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I would ask them to remove the cap, you can always ring up and get it put back on if you need to.

Sorry for jumping in with both feet last night, I didn't get back up to speed on what you were doing with the wiring before posting, thanks to IsItMe for sorting me out

Exchange:
      Thanks

No worries Smithy - I'm probably not as clear as I could be given my complete ineptitude with technology!!

When we bought our house, the owners before had rewired the phone circuit to run an Austrian phone on it. When we bought a new one, and I attempted to rewire it back to UK standard, we were left with a phone that wouldn't ring for 6 months until I bit the bullet and phoned a phone engineer!! (you could only tell by the small red light flashing)

Thanks

we were left with a phone that wouldn't ring for 6 months until I bit the bullet and phoned a phone engineer!!
      It is a pity he did not put in a proper master socket. What he has done is put the bit of green wire between the A terminal and the orange wire to activate the ringer.

If you need help with wiring your sockets up properly, let us know

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Just in case I can't get back on for a while, this is how I would sort out your wiring -

Don't use the IDC connectors in the junction box to join the wires going to the other extension, use small block connectors or solder. Use the blue/white/blue* wires for the main feed and the orange/white/orange ones to feed back.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This is what I would have emailed to Sky...-wiring.jpg  

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just in case I can't get back on for a while, this is how I would sort out your wiring -

Don't use the IDC connectors in the junction box to join the wires going to the other extension, use small block connectors or solder. Use the blue/white/blue* wires for the main feed and the orange/white/orange ones to feed back.
      Cheers Isitme. My current plan is to see how Sky get on with speed rampup - if it's still cack, I'll stick a master where the BT line comes in with a filtered faceplate and run an ethernet cable & phone line to where the router and phone are currently situated and see how that fairs - your suggestion about the IDC connections was worth 3dbs in noise when I rejigged them last night if your interested?? Cheers again, plus another pint 'thankyou' from me!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast