Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should I use ADSL2+ or not?

This is a discussion on Should I use ADSL2+ or not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; in many cases sky's llu equipment is newer than most BT exchange equipment which might give you a little more ...

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

Re: Should I use ADSL2+ or not?

in many cases sky's llu equipment is newer than most BT exchange equipment which might give you a little more juice put through your line but dont look for miracles you will save money which in this cash crunch period is a blessing

you could try max and if its no faster then downgrade to mid (after a month you can do this i think)

2. Advertisement
      zedbra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rustington
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
      in many cases sky's llu equipment is newer than most BT exchange equipment which might give you a little more juice put through your line but dont look for miracles you will save money which in this cash crunch period is a blessing

you could try max and if its no faster then downgrade to mid (after a month you can do this i think)
      Thanks nodrog. I don't expect miracles, but at my slow speeds just a little extra would be nice. As you say, saving money is a good thing and as long as I don't have major problems then it's worth it.

I haven't yet been able to find out if I could change after a month, but I'd be surprised as the initial cost of Mid is 30GBP and is free for Max, so anyone could then downgrade after a month and save 25GBP. Also, from what Smithy has said, they wouldn't connect me on Max anyway.

Geoff.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No, that's not what I said!

Sky Max uses both ADSL2 for good lines and GDMT for the lines that cannot get over 8mb (or there abouts)

It's the same package, but with different protocols for the line depending on quality and length.

Sky Max is upto 16mb unlimited downloads (ADSL2 or GDMT)

Sky Mid is upto 8mb 40GB downloads (ADSL2 or GDMT)

You could have either but your download speeds will be the same.

If you think you will use up the 40gb then go for the Sky Max, if not Sky Mid is cheaper.

Thanks

Ok! I didn't realise they would connect me on Max but to GDMT.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you connect initially, your line will probably be on G.DMT, although some are put straight on to ADSL2+. After a few days DLM will be started on your line and will train for about 10 days, this will automatically put you on ADSL2+. If your line is good enough it will stay on it, if your line cannot handle it, you will be put on G.DMT.

At one time you could not downgrade your connection until your contract was up, but I have heard that now you can downgrade in payment of a fee, which will no doubt claw back the installation cost.

Although in theory, which is what the graphs you see are based on, ADSL2+ is faster over a long line, believe me, it does not often work like this in practise. More often than not the speed will be lower or the line will keep dropping.

What you were told about chipsets being unsuitable, applies to Bt's ADSLMax, not Sky's LLU system. As Smithy says, you existing ISP is telling porkies in the hope you will stay.

You will get all the help you need with your connection here. If you have problems, make this forum your first port of call

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Isitme - Thank you so much, you've answered a lot of questions I still had in my head about all this! It's helped me in my decision a lot, and I've now asked my current ISP for my MAC code.

Thanks again,
      Geoff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12