Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Atrocious wireless on DG934

This is a discussion on Atrocious wireless on DG934 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a ticket outstanding with Sky regarding the wierd wireless performance. I would have thought that a connection would ...

pdes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Atrocious wireless on DG934

I have a ticket outstanding with Sky regarding the wierd wireless performance. I would have thought that a connection would be fine along the length of an open hall and round a corner (probably no more than 20 feet) but no, I have to stretch the wireless adapter from the desktop round the doorframe to establish the connection before putting it back on the table. Once the connection is established, it seems to stabilise. What's more quirky however is the fact that can stand next to the router with my laptop, see my neighbour's routers at very low signal levels but still not see mine! Then, suddenly it will connect. I've tried a number of different channels but nothing changes. So, my last though is wouls it help to upgrade the firmware? I'm on V2.02.44. Is this the latest? Any other suggestions as to how to beef up the wireless? AS soon as i have sorted out a couple of other issues with Sync speed, I guess I will have to go back to my Linksys router.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Atrocious wireless on DG934

Have you tried all the channels on the router? Is the router near anything that will impact the signal? Is windows in charge of the wireless device on the PC?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Have you tried all the channels on the router? Is the router near anything that will impact the signal? Is windows in charge of the wireless device on the PC?
      Not all, channels - I know I have tried 3, 6, 9 and 11.

The router sits on a windowsil, next to a coat cupboard (because that's where the incoming faceplate is). There are a few electrical bits in there but they are a good three feet away, behind the doors and the problem is intermittent. I can watch the signal strength vary without moving the device.

Not sure which app "owns" the wireless. I know Mcafee manages some of the connectivity bu I assume Vista is in control as it is always Vista that I connect with.

Cheers

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Try 13 and monitor it, I would steer away from 6 as it is heavily used. An app like netstumbler may help you see what is around you wirelessly and what channels they are using.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Try 13 and monitor it, I would steer away from 6 as it is heavily used. An app like netstumbler may help you see what is around you wirelessly and what channels they are using.
      Thanks for that. I think 13 is too high for my wife's IBM but I'll take a look. Also like the sound of Netstmbler. I was wondering what was available to survey the airwaves!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Not sure which app "owns" the wireless.
      It will depend on how you installed the adapter software. Most manufacturers default to using their own manager. Unless you are given the option to use Windows and take it, you will be using the adapters manager. If you install the driver only, without additional software, you will then be using Windows.

Some manufacturers software is very flakey, so using Windows is recommended. If you right click the wireless icon in the tray and select 'manage' or sometimes it is 'monitor', that should bring up the Manager. If it has a 3rd party name on it, like Linksys or Netgear, then it is using the adapters software.

Netstumbler link below. If it is a UK laptop, it will find channel 13.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It will depend on how you installed the adapter software. Most manufacturers default to using their own manager. Unless you are given the option to use Windows and take it, you will be using the adapters manager. If you install the driver only, without additional software, you will then be using Windows.

Some manufacturers software is very flakey, so using Windows is recommended. If you right click the wireless icon in the tray and select 'manage' or sometimes it is 'monitor', that should bring up the Manager. If it has a 3rd party name on it, like Linksys or Netgear, then it is using the adapters software.

Netstumbler link below. If it is a UK laptop, it will find channel 13.
      I have a mix - The desktop has an adapter (Linksys) but my Dell laptop is as delivered and I don't think there are any third-party intermediates. I'll have a check later as I know that there is always the option to hand management back to windows. Not sure about the IBM, it's three years old and I thought that 13 was only available in newer machines. Food for thought over the weekend! Have a good Easter.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Dell use their own manager which is notorious on some of the laptops for poor wireless performance. The channels have nothing to do with the age of the machine, only the hardware/software installed on it. I don't think US machines will pick up channels 12 and 13.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.