Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Like Tree1Likes

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

This is a discussion on (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Could it be, that like Sky's LLU product, occasionally BT 's line management system occasionally picks ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could it be, that like Sky's LLU product, occasionally BT's line management system occasionally picks up a potential line fault and re-syncs the line at a slower speed?

If this is the case, then a friendly phone call to BT India might be required to resolve the issue and get the line connection speeds reset.
      No need to phone anybody as the BT DLM runs constantly and sets your line profile automatically, if you synch higher it will take 3-5 days of stable speed to get the line profile changed.

I wonder if all the other problems people are seeing are down to local exchange contention or even crosstalk rather than a backhaul issue.

I have been on BT for 7 months now and haven't noticed any problems at all peak or off peak. The only thing I have noticed is that BT's DLM seems to have put me on a 2-3 dB profile and I am getting a whole lot better speed than I was on LLU.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      I have just completed a two month test comprising of 54 speed tests taken at all times of the day and night on every day of the week and the speeds are unbelievably consistent - almost bang on 2 mbps. This can't be just coincidence - BTW router syncing at 8025kbps.
      How odd.

It gets weirder for me.. my Mother in Law lives across the street. She has BT Broadband, and guess what, she has an 8Mb sync rate, and can download at the full 8Mb?

I call shenanigans. Not that I care
      Current Sync 79999/19999

jabbashouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok i have had this issue with almost dialup speeds with my sky connect 8mb package and theres not a thing you can do according to a Sky customer and Technical adviser.

Basically this is what i have been told as of a few days ago. Sky do not own the lines that run from the Connect service unlike the unlimited service which runs on a Sky owned line. Therefore Sky Connect customers are at the mercy of BT who are the ones that rent the line to Sky, who then in turn lease it to Sky Connect Customers. BT can throttle aggressively on the Connect package and in most cases they can perminatly cap you, if this happens then you need to ring Sky they will reset your internet at their end, but thats only a temporary fix as BT can just reapply the cap.

So to continue Sky have told me this that they have no control over the Connect package and have oppologiesed that for me i was miss sold the service hense im now leaving to go with BT, i had to rench it out of them as well.

So my advice is if it aint broke then dont change isp, sorry for the bad news on this subject but no amount of posting nor ring Sky will solve the Connect package issue.

They did say that in November 2011 they were going to court with BT to get some of there vacant lines that BT are with holding, if Sky win....(i doubt they will, and even then BT can drag the court case out for years to come), if they win then there is a possibility that some of the Connect packages in the UK might be transfered to an actual Sky line.

If you cannot get Sky unlimited in your area then i would strongly change to either BT unlimited or Virgins 50meg Superhub.

Thank you.

Pls note, what has been typed above is all what was told to me by two Sky representatives.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Just to add to that assessment:

The lines are managed by BT Wholesale (BTW).

BTW rent access to the same lines to many other ISPs, not just Sky, where the ISP does not have their own equipment in the local telephone exchange, or that equipment is full.

Most other ISPs do not get the same bad treatment as Sky customers do with Connect. Actually i haven't heard of anyone suggesting that any other ISP is treated as badly as Connect customers are.

With this in mind, it is perhaps a good idea to get your MAC code from Sky, check to see if there are any ISPs who have their equipment in your exchange by looking at the SamKnows website, then find a new ISP who can offer you a better package.

Currently PlusNet appear to be offering the best packages for those exchanges that don't have any LLU equipment. Where LLU equipment is present, those suppliers will normally offer the best packages.

PlusNet is owned by BT but there Customer Services are currently only based in Yorkshire. In a personal case recently where i was helping someone to go migrate from Virgin Cable to PlusNet, there telephone was enabled 2 hours after the order was placed. The Internet went live two Saturdays later.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Thanks

A bit of advice regarding the usage on Sky Connect would useful - I've had a search on here and the Sky Customer Service forums but there doesn't really seem to be an answer!

Does the 40GB monthly allowance run according to a calendar month (ie., 1st Jan to 31st Jan) or according to your billing month (i.e., 9th of Month to 8th of Month)?

At the moment I'm monitoring the traffic and usage via the control panel on my Netgear router and last month it was 37GB. I've been using a lot of time catching up on programmes missed whilst in hospital, buying music and films to watch whilst in hospital, etc. and this month looks like it could be the same! It would be handy to know so I can configure the usage monitor accordingly.

Thanks all

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The usage is according to your month. ie the calculation starts with your payment date.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mattomira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourport on severn
      Thanks

Angry Re: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Ok I'm new to this site but having been on Sky connect for nearly 2 years and getting throttled every week it's time i posted something.

Currently I'm running at 1.7mb all day every day for the past month or so...and for 17.99 a month its a freekin joke!

1 year ago I got a letter from sky saying congratulations sky unlimited is coming to my area and we would be upgraded but still nothing and when I phoned I got a simple answer of we didn't send such letter & every time I ask about when we will be getting unlimited they answer with the same thing...they don't know, the exchange is full blah blah!!. People on the street next to me have unlimited..come on sky it's a joke, I can't stream movies or play online & when we signed up to connect I was told on the phone that it was a good package for what I want..well it's not!!!! Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz380 View Post
      A Number of members have pointed out that the sky-connect-broadband-you-being-slowed-down thread was getting a bit to big and information was hard to find, so heres most of it in one post:

Basically Since october 2008 Sky has introduced Traffic Management and Traffic Shaping on their BT Rebadged product (Sky Connect) and this is now part of the Terms And Conditions:

If You Think You Are Being Slowed?

The Simple Option is to Run a BT Speed Test: BT Speedtester

Details:

Firstly enter your home phone number including STD Code

Second, enter your Sky User Name, this will be the MAC code located on the bottom of the sky router (8 digits) Followed by @skydsl so your final username would be eg. 0018DFG6@Skydsl

The Result will be like:

Run a few tests during peak and off-peak times to compare how badly you are effected (only 1 every 3 hours is permitted).

After?

Within 12 Month Contracts

Finally if you decide sky isnt the ISP for you check for LLU Providers in your area, you can try the following resources:

SkyUser Broadband Exchange Checker

or

samknows exchange checker

or alternatively:

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that offer broadband services in the United Kingdom

If you have any more questions there are lots of people willing to help you in the other Connect thread!

Thanks to all the people that this information comes from, its been a big help to me over the last few months! if theres anything else needing added please say and i can add it

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

According to Samknows your exchange is enabled by Sky and TalkTalk and even has Fibre available in some areas - SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Stourport (WMSTU) Exchange

I would call them again and tell them if you are not moved to Sky Unlimited you are leaving and will go to TalkTalk. Sky Connect is not fit for purpose and certainly not worth what they charge for it.

In the meantime, have a look at what TalkTalk have to offer - Unlimited TV, Broadband and Phone Packages: Now with FREE YouView Box | TalkTalk they are not the best ISP by any measurement, but then neither is Sky. Both have customer service problems as your experience with Sky has shown.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Important Update for anyone still on the Connect product:

Sky Broadband Connect Network Management

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

LinkBacks (?)