Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

This is a discussion on (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme It appears if you exceed 1.3Gb on any day you will be throttled. 40Gb is your ...

Sean5861 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01635
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It appears if you exceed 1.3Gb on any day you will be throttled.

40Gb is your maximum allowance, download and upload at any time, not just peak.

I should point out that the throttling is applied whether you exceed your limit or not. If you have read this thread you will see that many are throttled, even if they only download a very small amount. The bes solution is to find another ISP who manages their connections better than Sky, who are probably the worst in UK.
      Ok that is interesting to know, I'll see what happens while I stay under the 40gigs. Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I think the peak time problems isn't throttling as such but pure contention issues with a serious overload of Sky's bandwidth.

There is almost 2 million connect customers with a large proportion being online in the evening.

I have no idea how many centrals Sky rent currently but I would assume they would need to get a whole lot more in to bring some form of decent connection when the world gets home.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Thanks

Hi Undecided Adrian,

We can understand how frustrating it can been with broadband speeds.

If you are having problems with your broadband speed please try our Sky Help Centre for some troubleshooting steps.

If the issue has not been resolved contact us to investigate the issue further.
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky eService Team View Post
      Hi Undecided Adrian,

We can understand how frustrating it can been with broadband speeds.

If you are having problems with your broadband speed please try our Sky Help Centre for some troubleshooting steps.

If the issue has not been resolved contact us to investigate the issue further.
      Wake up please.

Adrian does not have Sky Broadband, let alone Sky Broadband Connect.

He is a contributor to this forum and someone, like myself, who has read many complaints about the Connect package on this forum.

Why do I know Adrian does not have Sky Broadband? Well it says so in his profile, something that isn't available on the Sky Help Forum.

If this is an example of the quality of support that someone can expect from Sky, then perhaps we seriously need to all look towards another company.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie

Appreciate the feedback on our response and apologies that I didnít notice Adrianís broadband was with BT. We are quite new to the forum and are just getting to grips with how it works!

Adrian is right that we arenít throttling the connection, itís down to the heavy usage at peak teams. I just wanted to offer some general advice as to how customers can try to improve their broadband speeds.

Thanks again for your feedback

Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You may not be throttling the connection by design but because of the limited capacity the Sky Connect package has compared to the millions of customers using it it is next to useless.

Sky should be ashamed of the service they are giving their Connect customers, expecially considering the price they are being charged.

Would you care to tell us when you plan to add further capacity to this network?

Everything except the very basic of web browsing is being affected and many customers have reported speeds which are less than the old dial up modems of 10 years ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sky eService Team View Post
      Hi Scubbie

Appreciate the feedback on our response and apologies that I didn’t notice Adrian’s broadband was with BT. We are quite new to the forum and are just getting to grips with how it works!

Adrian is right that we aren’t throttling the connection, it’s down to the heavy usage at peak teams. I just wanted to offer some general advice as to how customers can try to improve their broadband speeds.

Thanks again for your feedback
      Apology accepted.

It does concern me though that whoever is answering the questions considers that box standard responses will work 100% of the time. I have noticed that your responses have changed a little today.

Anyone diagnosing a fault needs to look at all the facts and decide what is or is not relevant. The smallest phrase can actually provide the greatest clue to a resolution. It can show how the customer or forum member sees the problem and can show what might be missing.

What also concerns me is the link to your self-diagnostic page. It has serious errors. I won't point them all out as I'm not on your payroll, but hear are a couple:

Under the section 'My Sky Broadband connection is slow':

* on this forum we frequently check that someone is using the master or test socket and strictly advise against extensions as even a 5m lead can impair performance
      * we also advise in favour of using the grey ADSL lead supplied as many want to use their own long lead
      * we specifically mention the telephone lead for the Sky STB as the wording on the splitter misleads so many customers in to believing that it should be connected into the socket before the micro-filter
      * on this forum we provide information on how someone can recognise an NTE5 socket as not everyone has one, you don't
      * spot the error in these instructions, should someone follow them word for word:

1. Remove the face plate of your master socket to get access to the test socket.
      2. Plug a microfilter directly into the master socket.
      3. Connect your router to the microfilter.
      That was just from one page and not all of it.

Often when responding to a problem I will only ask some questions, knowing that there will be others to follow. This isn't because I don't know them, but because in part i don't want to swamp the person too much, but also the responses will determine the next set of my responses. Sometimes they miss something and it needs to be answered. It does get picked up though.

We are all aware that we can contact Sky via email, telephone or letter. The wording on this forum makes it very clear that this is a site not owned or run by BSkyB or it's employees.

People join this forum as an alternative method to getting a solution to fixing a problem or making the most from their enjoyment of using Sky products. Is it really necessary to advise them to contact you at every opportunity?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Quote Originally Posted by Sean5861 View Post
      Ok that is interesting to know, I'll see what happens while I stay under the 40gigs. Thanks.
      Hi again!

So yup, it was the 5th of the month when I started getting capped speeds again, so the monthly limit clearly can't the issue I find it hard to believe that it is down to heavy usage during peak times when the speed remains a constant 0.07mbps for 5 hours straight? And also the sudden change (within seconds) of my speed increase from 0.07 to 3.5 hardly conforms with the number of people online. I would expect a gradual increase in speed if that was the case.

Anyway there may have been days that I have gone over the apparent 1.3gb (which is ridiculous) daily limit but there has also been no sign of uncapping the next day or the days after when I haven't downloaded a megabyte. When I am getting steam game updates weekly that are in the hundreds of megabytes sometimes this a crazy.

<- I cannot load this picture

-Sean

Thanks

I am sorry to say the obvious Sean5861, but it looks like Sky BB connect is not a suitable package for you.

There are many other ISPs out there who can offer you better terms & conditions and who do not cap or throttle your speed as badly.

Take a look here: SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Put in your local details and look at the latest information on your telephone exchange.

You are looking firstly to see if there are any LLU operators present in the exchange. They will be able to offer an ADSL2+ connection and often be able to provide very good terms & prices.

Next see if you have FTTC in your area. This will provide up to 40Mb connection, provided that a green street cabinet near where you live has been upgraded to supply FTTC.

At this moment FTTP is being trialled in some areas. When this is finally rolled out we can expect speeds of 1Gbit.

You can also use this site to indicate whether a cable company (normally Virgin) is available.

21CN is BT's name for ADSL2+. This information will also be available on SamKnows.

Now you want to look around to see which ISPs can provide you with a good package that can serve you best.

Use the likes of Google to search for UK ISPs. Look for support sites (official & unofficial) to get an indication of what they are like.

Many members, including myself, will have experience of different ISPs. Rather than say 'go and sign up to XYZ Company' in this thread, I would either start a new thread and ask there for your specific exchange or research the issue yourself.

There are too many changes occurring at the present moment. Whilst one ISP may have a fantastic track record, this does not always mean that they will always be so good. New packages are being constantly rolled out all the time, along with price changes.

Once you have decided who you wish to change to, call Sky and ask for your MAC Code. Do not allow Sky to cancel your BB. This will cause you horrendous problems.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Sean5861 (11-05-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am sorry to say the obvious Sean5861, but it looks like Sky BB connect is not a suitable package for you.

There are many other ISPs out there who can offer you better terms & conditions and who do not cap or throttle your speed as badly.

Take a look here: SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Put in your local details and look at the latest information on your telephone exchange.

You are looking firstly to see if there are any LLU operators present in the exchange. They will be able to offer an ADSL2+ connection and often be able to provide very good terms & prices.

Next see if you have FTTC in your area. This will provide up to 40Mb connection, provided that a green street cabinet near where you live has been upgraded to supply FTTC.

At this moment FTTP is being trialled in some areas. When this is finally rolled out we can expect speeds of 1Gbit.

You can also use this site to indicate whether a cable company (normally Virgin) is available.

21CN is BT's name for ADSL2+. This information will also be available on SamKnows.

Now you want to look around to see which ISPs can provide you with a good package that can serve you best.

Use the likes of Google to search for UK ISPs. Look for support sites (official & unofficial) to get an indication of what they are like.

Many members, including myself, will have experience of different ISPs. Rather than say 'go and sign up to XYZ Company' in this thread, I would either start a new thread and ask there for your specific exchange or research the issue yourself.

There are too many changes occurring at the present moment. Whilst one ISP may have a fantastic track record, this does not always mean that they will always be so good. New packages are being constantly rolled out all the time, along with price changes.

Once you have decided who you wish to change to, call Sky and ask for your MAC Code. Do not allow Sky to cancel your BB. This will cause you horrendous problems.
      Yes, unfortunately my area is extremely limited and I do not get LLU or FTTC. The only available solution which I believe is limited to around 4Mbps is ADSL. That said, that limit is not the issue, nor the current download limit but the capped peak time speeds. I'll look into it. This may seem obvious to you but would our sky emails still be usable?

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)