Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

This is a discussion on (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; good FAQ. I recently had my connection capped due to excessive downlaoding, but i cant find in the terms or ...

t3rm3y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

good FAQ.
      I recently had my connection capped due to excessive downlaoding, but i cant find in the terms or their website what the limit is - i think it was for downloading more then 10 gigs in a week, but my limit is 40 gigs, so when am i supposed to D/L stuff? is it only capped when I download too much during peak times? like between 9 am til l5pm or something? as uauslly leave pc on over night if getting a number of large files and not had a problem before

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky's peak time is from 5 to 11 pm although it seems to vary half an hour each way. On connect you have a download allowance of 40 gb a month, but Sky interpret that as 1.3Gb a day so if you exceed that in a day you are likely to be throttled. I doubt if you have actually been capped for downloading too much, even though those at Sky may tell you you are. Just about anybody who calls up is told they are downloading too much even if they are or not. There is some doubt if Sky can tell if an individual is downloading too much, if they could they would have applied capping long ago when some users boasted of downloading over 100gb on Connect. You are probably suffering from the same throttling that just about everyone else on Connect is suffering. Doing an official BT speedtest before peak and after it has started will tell you for sure.

Have you given your MAC to another provider yet?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi Tom the connect new T & Cs It can now be found under usage policies http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-condit...sage-policies/ it must be for new connect Customers as it is still 5pm till Midnight the new T & Cs 4pm till 11pm.

nailzuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141-Provanmill-Distance By Road:-1.0 mi
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk ADSL2+
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

been on hold for 2 hours sky connect wont even load basic html pages, cant w8 to be rid of sky

speeds below are from when my speeds were acceptable for last month they been 100kbps on & off peak

tenz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hellou guys!

twelfth day of using sky:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Same happend last weekend. Any ideas?

w00ps, wrong section, sorry!

fenwick458 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01946
      Thanks

connect is terrible, whats the penalty to just cancel it? i'm not having another 50 weeks of slow broadband for the price i'm paying!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Many people here have left without penalty as the service is not fit for purpose. Get your MAC and use it.

Sean5861 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01635
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi -

Just realised the cause for my very poor peak time speeds. I am not actually the bill payer and hadn't realised we were on a 40gb download usage limit. This has been on and off for almost a year I think and it's been an incredible pain and after phoning sky multiple times they have not mentioned anything about the download limit and instead have sent us a new router etc. It seems absurd to me they didn't even suggest that any time we called and the call centre advisor's just seem moronic.

Anyway the speed I was getting was 0.07mbps pretty much dead on, most webpages won't load and take a few refreshes.

Anyway now that I know about the limit I can deal with it, how does it work exactly? If you go over 40 gigs will it be throttled till the end of the month? Can I download as much as I like off peak with out it affecting the limit?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sean5861 View Post
      ...It seems absurd to me they didn't even suggest that any time we called and the call centre advisor's just seem moronic.

Anyway the speed I was getting was 0.07mbps pretty much dead on, most webpages won't load and take a few refreshes.

Anyway now that I know about the limit I can deal with it, how does it work exactly? If you go over 40 gigs will it be throttled till the end of the month? Can I download as much as I like off peak with out it affecting the limit?
      Unfortunately they know the solution, but are forbidden from blaming Sky BB Connect.

From what I have learnt, the capping is based upon a daily limit of 1.3Gb. If you back off your download bandwidth to a figure below this for over a week, you should see your speed rise.

However, peek time throttling will still be applied.

Also BT Wholesale love to throttle traffic that looks like torrents.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you go over 40 gigs will it be throttled till the end of the month?
      It appears if you exceed 1.3Gb on any day you will be throttled.

Can I download as much as I like off peak with out it affecting the limit?
      40Gb is your maximum allowance, download and upload at any time, not just peak.

I should point out that the throttling is applied whether you exceed your limit or not. If you have read this thread you will see that many are throttled, even if they only download a very small amount. The bes solution is to find another ISP who manages their connections better than Sky, who are probably the worst in UK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)