Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thanks to forum members....

This is a discussion on Thanks to forum members.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who has posted ...

prcompton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horseley Fields
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Smile Thanks to forum members....

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who has posted advice about speed issues and possible resolutions as the advice really does help.

We have had Sky BB Max for 12 days now and the speed was at roughly 6mb. Having read quite a few threads and posts we decided to run a test on our attenuation (32db) which indicated we could probably get 11mb or so.

Our telephone line was very noisy even with filters so we bought a BT filtered faceplate for our master socket and checked our wiring. Instant success on the noise issue, it went as soon as we fitted the plate but the speed stayed at 6mb.

Having read further it seemed a call to sky was in order. I gave them a call about 10 minutes ago and told them the situation with a little white lie that BT had been out to fix our line problem and had given us a new faceplate.

After the usual questions of how far away from the main socket is the router, are you connected wirelessly and how many extensions do you have I was put through to "CST" as the first advisor was not able to help.

After going through the whole explanation again and me pretending to play a bit dumb about attenuation and what "I thought I knew" the guy agreed to test the line and router and agreed that our connection was slow for our line stats.

He nearly doubled our speed to just over 11mb and said that DLM had caused the problem and that we had been capped but it was sorted at 11mb and the line was stable.

Result !!!

So, for those in the know on the Forum, thanks a million we are getting what we paid for here and the advice I have read has been a massive help.

Cheers !

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Thanks to forum members....

You don't need to play dumb with CST, although those who come through spouting off router stats get ignored by me - if you can do my job better, then come work for Sky!!!, but at least you're sorted now
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      You don't need to play dumb with CST, although those who come through spouting off router stats get ignored by me - if you can do my job better, then come work for Sky!!!
      QFT!

Glad you got it sorted.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You don't need to play dumb with CST, although those who come through spouting off router stats get ignored by me
      So you give no credence to someone who may know what they are taking about? Seems to me you prefer to deal with 'dummies' who you can intimidate with your superior knowledge.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

prcompton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horseley Fields
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Talking Re: Thanks to forum members....

You don't need to play dumb with CST, although those who come through spouting off router stats get ignored by me - if you can do my job better, then come work for Sky!!!, but at least you're sorted now
      Mate, i'm in the forces and have run an IT helpdesk at a large unit, believe me I know what it's like sat at the end of the phone and from experience it's all about how the customer treats you and the information you can get from them without patronising their knowledge at the same time.

As you said, sprouting off stats doesn't get you anywhere and it's almost like a little game. You never know who you are going to get on the phone if you are calling in for help and if they have had a bad day or not. Unfortunately for call centre/helpdesk workers they get a bad name from the few that come across high and mighty to customers who are vulnerable or with low intellect who use anger and profanities to get their point across, thus making the call centre workers job harder; hence while I know some things and ADSL is not my strong point i'm not about to launch into the whole nine yards to get what I want.

I'm sure most people here could agree that if someone believes they have a geniune problem then it should be sorted, but also knowing what can happen and how you can be treated at the other end of the line is anyone's guess. It's all about the game you play.

Trust me, the thought of leaving and being a civilian again and even working for the likes of sky/bt/virgin is appealing, but I can see the nice places in the world, get loads of time off for sport/social, enjoy my very varied ICT job and get paid a good wage for it. Ticketyboo!

But hey, speed and noise are sorted and for that i'm grateful to the very helpful chap at sky CST and the info on this forum.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Thanks

i would if they stopped giving some of the jobs to people abroad! LOL

but yeah thats the only way to get around CST "act dumb"

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

People don't 'need' to get around me, though...but they still try

Someone'll come through, having read a little on here about this, that and the other and demand there line uncapped, etc...and I'll happily do it - after all the customer is always right - BUT I'll always explain what might happen as a result (line instability, etc).

Now, some will take on the advice and allow me to get on with my job which is to ultimately leave someone with a line that's stable at as fast a speed as possible. If that means capping it slightly to leave a bit of SNR spare, so be it...

It's those who spout off rubbish thinking they understand ADSL in it's entirety (and I'm not saying I do in the slightest) that annoy me as they don't have a clue...they might understand the theory but without seeing it work in practice day in day out as my colleagues and I do you really can't comment...

And these are the people that'll then call in the next day it's gone wrong again...Once you get to about 5 tickets on the same issue you start to see notes like 'EU won't listen to advice, please don't open anymore tickets'...

It's THIS that shouldn't happen but for a few it's just not enough...

THIS is why I don't listen to people who spout off router stats as I can see a LOT more than you guys can (well, about the same as those with the Phase 1 routers - but you can't get them anymore) and don't need to be told how to do my job...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Thanks

People don't 'need' to get around me, though...but they still try

Someone'll come through, having read a little on here about this, that and the other and demand there line uncapped, etc...and I'll happily do it - after all the customer is always right - BUT I'll always explain what might happen as a result (line instability, etc).

Now, some will take on the advice and allow me to get on with my job which is to ultimately leave someone with a line that's stable at as fast a speed as possible. If that means capping it slightly to leave a bit of SNR spare, so be it...

It's those who spout off rubbish thinking they understand ADSL in it's entirety (and I'm not saying I do in the slightest) that annoy me as they don't have a clue...they might understand the theory but without seeing it work in practice day in day out as my colleagues and I do you really can't comment...

And these are the people that'll then call in the next day it's gone wrong again...Once you get to about 5 tickets on the same issue you start to see notes like 'EU won't listen to advice, please don't open anymore tickets'...

It's THIS that shouldn't happen but for a few it's just not enough...

THIS is why I don't listen to people who spout off router stats as I can see a LOT more than you guys can (well, about the same as those with the Phase 1 routers - but you can't get them anymore) and don't need to be told how to do my job...
      True but from my experience i did have some very annoying people i was lucky even to get the useful one !!

I brought a V1 router just for that reason the V2's are limited!!