Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router settings for DG834G firmware

This is a discussion on Router settings for DG834G firmware within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello guys, Ive been a lurker for awhile now so finally signed up. Very impressed with the knowledge here and ...

dadragon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router settings for DG834G firmware

Hello guys,

Ive been a lurker for awhile now so finally signed up. Very impressed with the knowledge here and its helped me well so far, but ive got an issue that i am hoping you guys can help me with...

I have read that as long as a sky broadband user has their username and password extracted/read from the router provided, these details can be added to another ADSL router and setup accordingly. I used a link that a gent provided here, read my username and password and saved them.

I then flashed my DG934G to DG834G's latest firmware offering (to unlock the WIFI bridge/repeating settings) and inserted my details, setting up the router as specified on the forum - VPI 0 / VCI 38, VC based and PPPoA. Below is the reading i get from the status of the router. I have gone from 5687kbps to 1120kbps

ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 1120 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 800 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Also, the yellow light stays solid and doesnt turn to green on the inet status indicator.

As the inet is on and works, i presume this is a settings issue. Can anyone help?

Apologies for the long winded post

Kind Regards,

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router settings for DG834G firmware

How long have you been connected? From your upload speed posted it looks like DLM may have been running on your line. If so changing the router firmware may have messed things up. Can you post your stats, showing speed, attenuation and noise margin?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dadragon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      How long have you been connected? From your upload speed posted it looks like DLM may have been running on your line. If so changing the router firmware may have messed things up. Can you post your stats, showing speed, attenuation and noise margin?
      Hello Isitme,

Thanks for getting back to me I seem to have solved my dilemma, but to better understand what i haven done i will list whats happened so far.

Ive taken my sky DG934G and flashed it with the latest DG834G firmware to access the WDS features. This was a success but as posted the connection speed drastically weakened! The router lives in the living room, but to test the new firmware i connected it to the phone socket in my bedroom where i gained the slow speeds. Returning the new and improved router back to the living room, i get this:

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 6141 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 796 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

So im back to where i was with a little bit extra breaking into the 6000kb barrier which i never did with the DG934 firmware.

Now i have acquired a spare DG834gt router, flashed that with DGTeam latest firmware, and successfully used WDS settings which connects it wirelessly to the now flashed DG834G sharing inet using it as a repeater. The whole exercise was so connect my xbox 360 to the DG834gt wired, then connect that wirelessly to the DG834G to share the inet. So far xbox live works flawlessly and so far no drop outs!

I have no idea why relocating the base router back to its home socket in the living room cured the problem, but im not arguing with it

Thanks for your time Isitme, all the best mate

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You obviously have a problem with your internal wiring. If you have an NTE5 line box for a master socket, fitting an ADSL filtered faceplate would no doubt improve your connection further.-
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.