Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help me understand my stats!

This is a discussion on Please help me understand my stats! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Team, I have been with Sky BB for a couple of weeks. Initially, I connected at 5mb, 2mb better than ...

pdes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please help me understand my stats!

Team,

I have been with Sky BB for a couple of weeks. Initially, I connected at 5mb, 2mb better than I achieved with BT. A week later, the Sync speed was down to 4mb, about where it was with BT. Now it's down to 3mb and is no better if not slightly worse than BT. I have changed the router to a Linksys WAG 160n to get better wireless coverage but the sync speed has not been affected. I have powercycled many times to try to reset the exchange stuff and on one occasion, based on advice here, left it disconnected for 12 hours but still no change.

Here are my router stats. I plugged them into an online calculator that said I should be getting 6mb! I have a faceplate splitter at the incoming point so no house wiring is involved. Strangely, I seem to have an excellent upload speed. Could someone please interpret these stats and let me know what the status should be and how I can increase the speed? (I cannot find a way to change the SNR settings on the Router).

Many thanks......

--- DSL Information ---

DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e

DSL VPI/VCI: 0/38

DSL Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 0

DSL Mode: G.DMT

DSL Channel: INTR

DSL Upstream Rate: 800 Kbps

DSL Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps

Down up

DSL Noise Margin: 17.7 dB 16.0 dB

DSL Attenuation: 45.0 dB 26.0 dB

DSL Transmit Power: 19.1 dBm 12.5 dBm

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Please help me understand my stats!

1. did you read your welcome letter when you got it (assuming you got one)? it states on there to leave the router ON at all times as your line goes through DLM...

2. chances are DLM is what's capped your line, hence the high noise margin...

3. call Sky, only they can raise the speeds - but do this with the Sky router plugged in as otherwise they might check you're not on the Sky one and refuse you support...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Thanks for this. Do you agree that I should be getting a much higher sync/DL speed? The distance from the exchange is 3-4km - not sure if this is relevant though when you have the stats.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yes but you need to stop rebooting the router to start with. Put your sky one back on the line, if you have a test socket plug into there and call sky tier 1 support for a slow speed troubleshoot, CST can then adjust your speeds.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is it a very old router you are using? I ask as it seems to be using G.DMT. Normally DLM would put you on ADSL2+ and according to your upload it is running. Many older routers are not capable of using ADSL2+ and will revert to the slower mode. The only other explanation is that you have set the router mode to G.DMT, instead of ADSL2+ or Multimode.

Do yourself a favour, take the advice above and plug in your Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The router is new, (Linksys WAG160n) with brand new firmware and think I saw in the stats that this is an ADSL2+ connection. I have been running multimode for most of the time but another post in this forum said that should be using G.dmt so I entered this a couple of days ago (and got a 100k increase!). I'll flick it back to multi but firstly, I'll re-install the Netgear Router and complete the troubleshooting. Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have been running multimode for most of the time but another post in this forum said that should be using G.dmt
      It is possible with your high attenuation that your line will perform better with G.DMT, however you should not force the router to use this until DLM has finished on your line. It will only cause more problems. Sky will move you to it if your line is not compatible with ADSL2+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.