Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I make a home network by hooking up laptop to existing sky router

This is a discussion on Can I make a home network by hooking up laptop to existing sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys I am a new member so bear with me - reading through the forums it seesm that some ...

KathTheHat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: maldon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I make a home network by hooking up laptop to existing sky router

Hi guys I am a new member so bear with me - reading through the forums it seesm that some of the issues I gave up on a while back are fairly common, so I may revisit them following the guidance on here.

This is the query I emailed sky technical support with a couple of weeks ago:

"Hi. I set up sky broadband (not using wireless) on main XP PC a year ago. We now have a laptop which doesn't work with a wireless adapter so have got the laptop connected to our broadband modem via the ethernet cable. Question: can we get the laptop to form a network with the PC to share the printer using the modem as a link. Just running the Microsoft network setup wizards on both machines doesn't seem to work & the advice on the Windows doesn't seem to help re broadband modems, I'm guessing there is a setting somewhere we need to alter - can you help? (please don't suggest we try wireless networking, gave up on wireless, long story) Cheers for any advice Kath"
      This is the really useful reply they gave!
      "Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      You would need to set up a home network. Unfortunately we are unable to offer any technical for this. If you run the set up wizard for home networking this should be able to assist with this."

Fantastic technical Support guys!

Really it's not much more complicated than that - laptop & Pc both connected to the router with ethernet cables, & I want them to be able to see each other to share the printer & share files. Simple as!
      When I run the home networking wizard it somehow seems to revert my internet connection so it tries to dial-up. No idea what I am doing wrong there. I am running McAfee security centre on the main PC which has this Mcafee easynetwork thing bundled with it, and that can detect the laptop from my PC but doesn't seem to help to make a connection. At the minute I have Norton 360 on the laptop (which is about to expire)
      I know it must be to do with a setting somewhere ( I gave up on wireless but from the threads on the forums it sounds like it may be the Sagem router that has problems, rather than the Belkin wireless adapter i bought)

Any wisdom would be appreciated
      Ta

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Can I make a home network by hooking up laptop to existing sky router

Are they both running exactly the same OS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Are they both running exactly the same OS?
      Good Question
      - PC is XP 5.1 service pack 3 Media Centre Edition
      Laptop is XP 5.1 Service pack 3 home edition - do you reckon it makes much difference?
      Ta

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

best bet is get something like THIS which plugs into the router via ethernet and the printer into that and you can share the printer (i use one, works fine)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Useful - thanks very much. I'll certainly go down that route if I need to - I was just hoping ther was a solution without having to buy extra kit!

Cheers again

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You should be able to network your two computers and share the printer provided the computer that is the printer 'master' is switched on. Using the network hub would allow you to operate the printer independently of the computers (ie either could print without the other been involved). I'm no network expert but what you are trying to achieve should be possible without extra hardware. I'm sure others can (and hopefully will) offer you more advice.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

best solution would've been a printer with an ethernet port in it - easy then!! lol!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

malcolmgb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283 EMBUR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

You already have the network, now you need the computers & printers to see each other. I will try to explain, I'm more of a hands on person

Connect the printer to the desktop PC since that is less portable, install printer drivers on both machines.

On both computers right click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties' then 'Computer Name' make sure 'Workgroup' name is the same, if not change one.

Open Internet Explorer, other browsers are available, type 192.168.0.1 in address bar and enter, User-Admin, Passwd-sky are defaults, you then need to find 'LAN IP Setup' probably in advanced, make sure DHCP is enabled, should be by default. If changed save and shut down browser window.

Now on each PC go to 'Control Panel' select 'Network and Internet Connections' then 'Network Connections' you should then see a Wired Network Connection, not sure of exact name, right click on it and select 'Properties' scroll down the list
      of available to 'Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)' select it then press properties button. In there make sure 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' are selected. Save/OK those windows.

Then on the Laptop you will need to add a printer using the Add Printer Wizard when doing this select a 'Network Printer, or a printer attached to another computer' The only problem is to print from the Laptop the desktop needs to be running, to get around that needs a printer server, around 50-60.

I have no experience with McAfee or Norton Security but there should be somewhere to allow Local Area Network through.

You should then have a working network, all you need to do then is tell each computer which drives or folders you want to share, That can be lesson 2

As I said I find these things easier to do than explain.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When I run the home networking wizard it somehow seems to revert my internet connection so it tries to dial-up.
      I think this may be at the root of your problem. Go to Internet Options in the Control Panel and on the Connection tab. Remove any dial up connections you may have.
      Now open the Network Setup Wizard and Select 'This computer connects through a residential gateway'. Click Next.
      Select a description and name for the PC, eg Desktop and 'Kathsone'/'Laptop and Hatsone'. Click next.
      Give the workgroup a name eg HOME. click next
      On the next page choose to turn on Printer and File Sharing. Click next
      Click next and OK to restart. Do this on both machines making sure the workgroup name is the same.
      When you have done that, make sure your Desktop is running with the printer connected and powered up. Click Start on your Laptop and Select Printers and Faxes. In the left pane click Add a Printer. Follow the Wizard.
      Select 'a network printer or printer attached to another PC'. Click next
      Select 'Connect to this printer(or browse for a printer....) Click next.
      It will now search for a printer and bring up a list, this will include any virtual printers installed on your desktop. Select the one you want and click next.
      You will now be given a warning about installing drivers, click Yes.
      You will now be asked if you want to make this the default Printer, select Yes and click Next. then Finish.
      Remember before you can share documents they must be in a Shared folder. So make sure you have set one up on both machines. To share a folder right click it and select Sharing, follow the instructions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ha Ha !! Cheers guys - this looks like the sort of advice I was after .... many thanks - I haven't had a chance to faff about with the PCs since you fellas have replied but I have every faith in you & I'm sure it will do the trick.

I'll let you know later
      cheers
      Kath the hat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast