Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New User low speed with Max?

This is a discussion on New User low speed with Max? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well it's been just over a month now since my sky max was activated and my situation remains the same, ...

uknole is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ormskirk
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New User low speed with Max?

Well it's been just over a month now since my sky max was activated and my situation remains the same, so i thought i'd give them a call......

They asked me if i had a virus which would slow my pc down? (i haven't)
      They asked me if i was using peer to peer which would slow my conection down
      (i don't use peer to peer)
      They asked me to restart my pc and told me that myabe i was using other programs that would be accessing the net (but i didn't even have my browser running, never mind any other programs)

When i said i was only getting about 6mb throughput they said i was getting 8189 but i told them that is my sync rate which is not the same, but they insisted that i was getting the correct speed (up to 16mb)

I asked did they want my line stats, but again the person went on about me needing to do a virus check (which i have done and no i don't have one)

I asked why when my max was first activated i my sync rate (15297) and d/load speed was almost the max for the first 4 days, and then dropped and has been 'stuck' at a much lower rate, even though my lne stats have remained constant.
      I was infiormed that speeds can vary day to day but when i asked why i this case did my speed never go back up....do a virus check was the response.
      My line stats have remaned much the same over the last 4-5 weeks...

Att
      down 25 up 13
      Noise
      down 20 up 16
      and i'm still syncd at 8198 down and 796 up
      according the speed test on this sky user i'm nly getting throughput at about 6mb (by the way i was told that this was not accurate by them)

Not quite sure what to do next really?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

better posting Sky router stats - easier to read...

and online speed testers AREN'T accurate - this is just one of the better ones...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I did post my router stats (post#3) before, so here they are again..
      (i live less than 1km from myexchange also)

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 05:07:19
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 137594 212348 0 906 15274 05:06:18
      LAN 100M/Full 2439 0 0 62 0 05:07:14
      WLAN 11M/54M 217328 143810 0 15496 982 05:07:01
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8189 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 17 db 16 db

The only thing that appears to have changed is my downstream Noise Margin has gone from 20 to 17 since sky asked me to reset router today.
      Used the speed test as suggested and it shows a slghtimprovement that the one on this site, but surely i should expect better performance with my line stats?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/450248528.png

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You certainly should! Your line has been left crippled by DLM, properly configured you should get close to 16Mb. The only way you will get it improved is to get past the parrots in Tier 1 and speak to CST, they will improve your download in minutes. How you do this is difficult as speaking to someone who has no idea what is wrong is very frustrating. All you can do is keep phoning back in the hope that you get someone who can see that DLM is responsible and pass you on to CST.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

briancst1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIBYS
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

you must also leave router connected and switched on for the 10 day training period and as usual make sure setup is fine then if after 10 days still no increase cst will look at it

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You need to speak to CST, the best time to call is late evening 10:30pm onwards as you have a better chance of getting through to them directly.

If you do get to one of the first line support, be polite and explain again your problem but insist that once they have done everything they can/need to you must be put through to CST.

When you ring, have your router in the test socket (or tell them it is) advise you have done everything they have asked and now have the router connected to a formatted and freshly insstalled Windows PC so no chance of a virus etc (saves all the wasted breath).

When you get to CST they will sort it out in minutes whislt you are on the phone. No need to worry about DLM as you are past you training period. If you game, you may also take this opportunint to get CST to reduce your max delays (saves another phone call).

Thanks

Hi,

Rang sky again this afternoon, this time the person was very helpful, took all of my details and recommended that i speak with someone from the techical team.

After a few minutes while he did some checks he told me my line appeared to be capped which sometmes happens as the system (DLM i presume) is automatic.

They have now adjusted my line and i'm not syncing at 15323 down and 706 up,
      my download speed is now 13088 Kbps

Many thanks to everyone on this forum who repsonded to my post with advice/help.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Glad it worked out in the end

There are some very good first line support reps, I suppose it's like anywhere, a bit hit and miss sometimes.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You might have been lucky enough to get one of the guys who post on the forum and know what it is about
      It does show that you can get help from Tier 1, it is just sometimes very frustrating.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SB-SeCrEt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

im with sky max...been with them over a year now and my speed has never EVER!!! gone above 2mb ive phoned and phoned and phoned them but nothing ever gets done about it sky is a very poor company who dont value its customers SIMPLE AS THAT!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast